Got this today.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:25 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Sexy! :cheers2:

Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice! How is it with .357s? Pretty brutal?

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that is sexy.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice piece... Love the new slab sided barrels.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:31 pm

hkcavalier wrote:
Nice! How is it with .357s? Pretty brutal?

I haven't shot .357 through it yet. Probably will tomorrow. I usually use Buffalo Bore 158 gr .38 spl +p Lead semi wad cutter hollow point as my defense load though.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a lot of different opinions on 38 +P vs 357 full house loads. For general EDC and HD use I really gravitate to the 38 + P loads due to my feeling that accuracy and faster follow-up shots in the lighter recoiling +P loads trump the potential one shot stopping power of magnum loads in a light framed revolver.

Especially indoors the thought of the noise levels and overpressure of magnum loads makes me cringe.
For outdoors use and barrier penetration the magnum loads win hands down.

Enjoy the Model 60. My 686-3 is showing it's age and I've finally and reluctantly put it up for consignment. Eventually when finances recover from the divorce, I'll pick up a newer Model 686 7 shot model with slab sided barrel cut for moonclips.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:19 pm

GeekWithGuns wrote:
There's a lot of different opinions on 38 +P vs 357 full house loads. For general EDC and HD use I really gravitate to the 38 + P loads due to my feeling that accuracy and faster follow-up shots in the lighter recoiling +P loads trump the potential one shot stopping power of magnum loads in a light framed revolver.

Especially indoors the thought of the noise levels and overpressure of magnum loads makes me cringe.
For outdoors use and barrier penetration the magnum loads win hands down.

Enjoy the Model 60. My 686-3 is showing it's age and I've finally and reluctantly put it up for consignment. Eventually when finances recover from the divorce, I'll pick up a newer Model 686 7 shot model with slab sided barrel cut for moonclips.

Buffalo bore 38 +p is pretty much a low level magnum with a velocity of 1100 ftps.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:48 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

That is one sweet looking revolver sir! :cheers2:

GeekWithGuns wrote:

Hmm. I think the concussive effect of the magnum load makes up for the 2 milliseconds extra to bring back on target. I am going to dig up the post I did about the time my wife picked up the wrong ammo when we were plinking.

GWG wrote:

I think I have that 686 7 shot. I'm not sure why, but it's a safe queen. The GP100 in a couple of different variations is my go to revolver in .357.

I traded off a really nice example of a S&W revolver in .38 SPL to another WaGunner a few years ago. I miss it, but I was in a mood... didn't want to keep a .38 in the stable because of the 38/357 ammo one way street. I do miss that revolver. It had the smoothest action of any revolver I've ever owned.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow that is a pretty hot load... In steel matches where I had to knock the plate off the footings I was loading into +p territory with 5.0 gr Unique under a 158gr LRN. That Buffalo Bore load is indeed pushing into magnum velocities.

In my Smith 442 I've been shooting Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 38 Spec +P. Granted its only a 2" barrel though the velocity is roughly 850 ft/sec. Quite a difference.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
I think I have that 686 7 shot. I'm not sure why, but it's a safe queen. The GP100 in a couple of different variations is my go to revolver in .357.

I traded off a really nice example of a S&W revolver in .38 SPL to another WaGunner a few years ago. I miss it, but I was in a mood... didn't want to keep a .38 in the stable because of the 38/357 ammo one way street. I do miss that revolver. It had the smoothest action of any revolver I've ever owned.

Interesting. I've been using my 686 and 627 for pistol steel matches for which they're a ton of fun. A 7 shot revolver makes a great compromise gun since the standard pistol steels stage is 5 separate timed strings of 5 rounds each. A 6 shot revolver like the old 686 doesn't really have enough reserve shots when you start to pick up speed whereas a 7 or 8 shot revolver is the bees knees. My 686 had an action job by Apex Tactical, the Level IV for Federal primers only which made it just a dream to shoot. Expensive especially with the UPS shipping charges though I really enjoyed the results.

Have always respected the Ruger revolvers, they are really built like tanks. Though particularly I have a sweet spot for the single action Ruger Blackhawk design. It's been far too long since I owned one. And the SP-101 is really an awesome little revolver.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Interesting. I've been using my 686 and 627 for pistol steel matches for which they're a ton of fun. A 7 shot revolver makes a great compromise gun since the standard pistol steels stage is 5 separate timed strings of 5 rounds each. A 6 shot revolver like the old 686 doesn't really have enough reserve shots when you start to pick up speed whereas a 7 or 8 shot revolver is the bees knees. My 686 had an action job by Apex Tactical, the Level IV for Federal primers only which made it just a dream to shoot. Expensive especially with the UPS shipping charges though I really enjoyed the results.

Have always respected the Ruger revolvers, they are really built like tanks. Though particularly I have a sweet spot for the single action Ruger Blackhawk design. It's been far too long since I owned one. And the SP-101 is really an awesome little revolver.

Hmm, I'd love to shoot your 686+ sometime and compare to mine. Mine is one of the original 7 shooters made in the late '90s, with the Miculek action job and some further work by C.A.R. It's very, very smooth with a very light but still drop safe single action trigger.

Ruger revolvers are the #1 choice for pistol whipping, but I just couldn't like the triggers and grips on the GPs and Redhawks.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]