Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Yugo Tokarev 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Last edited by kf7mjf on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had one. For about 18 hours. Couldn't trade it fast enough. If I had my complete list of scratched off, I couod see having one. Looks like a good example of one though. However I'm more of a .32acp kind of guy.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:22 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Had one. For about 18 hours. Couldn't trade it fast enough.

LOL....

Yeah, the Tokarevs are a unique animal. Very cool because of the Commie history, but I don't consider them to be "nice" pistols by any stretch of the imagination.

The Yugo Toks are nice because they have an extra round in the mag.

My first 7.62x25 pistol was a CZ-52. Badass pistol, but I find that thing kind of intimidating to shoot. The Tokarevs shoot the same round but for some reason seem a lot tamer and easier to shoot well.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice, looks brand new. mine looks like it was drug behind a truck for the duration of WW2. But it is Russian, 1941.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ironworker78 wrote:
Nice, looks brand new. mine looks like it was drug behind a truck for the duration of WW2. But it is Russian, 1941.

I'd like to get a Russian someday.

This isn't brand new. Well, the frame is perfect, but there is minor pitting on the slide and it's been coated with a thick black something after being import marked. The internals are in great shape, as is the bore. Might have been assembled from a mix of NOS and surplus parts. Dunno.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:

LOL....

Yeah, the Tokarevs are a unique animal. Very cool because of the Commie history, but I don't consider them to be "nice" pistols by any stretch of the imagination.

My first 7.62x25 pistol was a CZ-52. Badass pistol, but I find that thing kind of intimidating to shoot. The Tokarevs shoot the same round but for some reason seem a lot tamer and easier to shoot well.

I don't know what it is, but the Yugo Tok feels absolutely amazing in my hand. The balance, the fit... it's perfect. So much that I'm thinking about getting the 9mm version Zastava sells over here.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:

LOL....

I don't know what it is, but the Yugo Tok feels absolutely amazing in my hand. The balance, the fit... it's perfect. So much that I'm thinking about getting the 9mm version Zastava sells over here.

I've never seen one of those used. What do they go for new? Loved the last tok i had but ammo was too expensive.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I gave $275 for this one. SOG sells them in 9mm or 7.62 brand new for like $225 or so.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought a few of these in Romanian and Yugo flavors back when they were around 2 Benjamins, and the main appeal was the ammo which IIRC around 10 cents. The Yugo is superior with the better safety and extra capacity. Some folks remove the import safety, particularly on the Romys b/c they suck.

Deals then were too good to pass up.

When you want a pistol that penetrates, there is no equal. The Boxotruth did a test of a variety of handguns, and this one is the only one that penetrated the USGI kevlar helmet.

I also like the flatness of it. It is a very thin pistol that makes the 1911 feel fat. I like the ergos just fine. Sure, it could use a lot of improvements, which would come in the succeeding decades. But for an "old gun" that shoots a very hot caliber, it is impressive.

It's actually a pretty sexy pistol too.

Last edited by leadcounsel on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those things are about as Sexy as a fat Russian Babushka bent over at the waist harvesting potatoes after dropping her 5th child in the field.
Yeah, it might function...and the round is hot, but I'd rather slam my nut sack in a drawer repeatedly than own another one.
I had one....for about 3 days.
Ergonomics suck, mags suck, and QC that well....sucks.
They sink really well though, find a Lake and check. :thumbsup2:
Just my opinion though.
If it works for you, great.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SWEEET! I love the Tokarevs and have a pile of them. Russian, Romanian, Polish, Chinese, Yugo, and a few in 9mm.
The 7.62x25 is a great pistol round. I bought a bunch of it when it was cheap. Tins of Polish ammo with 1260 rounds were about $100. I think they're about $350 now. I also shoot that round through my PPS-43c, a semi version of a polish Sub MG. Also a fun pistol.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a PPS43-C for a while, but it was right when the cheap surplus was drying up, and I didn't like what it did to what little brass I could recover from it, so I sold it. Now I kinda want another. There were some 9mm ones on the market for a while too, might find one of those and run steel case through it.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ammo was so cheap that I bought a bunch of it and started looking for anything that would shoot it. I developed a fondness for the Tokarevs. All of them. Now you can get PPU and other good non-corrosive ammo pretty cheap. I still run only surplus through the PPS-43. I really want a carbine that will shoot the 7.62x25.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

badclam wrote:
The ammo was so cheap that I bought a bunch of it and started looking for anything that would shoot it. I developed a fondness for the Tokarevs. All of them. Now you can get PPU and other good non-corrosive ammo pretty cheap. I still run only surplus through the PPS-43. I really want a carbine that will shoot the 7.62x25.

SBR your PPSH

There were AR uppers in 7.62 Tok at the height of the cheap ammo craze too.

I've seen people build 7.62 Stens and there was the Wiselite Sterling...

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next