Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:40 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Yugo Tokarev 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

badclam wrote:
The ammo was so cheap that I bought a bunch of it and started looking for anything that would shoot it. I developed a fondness for the Tokarevs. All of them. Now you can get PPU and other good non-corrosive ammo pretty cheap. I still run only surplus through the PPS-43. I really want a carbine that will shoot the 7.62x25.

They are a bit pricey, but there's companies that make AR uppers and magazines for the x25.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
badclam wrote:
The ammo was so cheap that I bought a bunch of it and started looking for anything that would shoot it. I developed a fondness for the Tokarevs. All of them. Now you can get PPU and other good non-corrosive ammo pretty cheap. I still run only surplus through the PPS-43. I really want a carbine that will shoot the 7.62x25.

They are a bit pricey, but there's companies that make AR uppers and magazines for the x25.

I will buy one if I can find one. The quest begins. kf7mjf is getting the blame for my renewed interest in this old friend, 7.62x25, and my renewed old quest for a carbine. An AR upper would make the most sense if I could find one.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$900 for one here http://bazookabrothers.com/pages/shop/7?category=2

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Start building your own? http://www.gunbroker.com/item/561965291

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

badclam wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:
badclam wrote:

I will buy one if I can find one. The quest begins. kf7mjf is getting the blame for my renewed interest in this old friend, 7.62x25, and my renewed old quest for a carbine. An AR upper would make the most sense if I could find one.

http://www.cncgunsparts.com/home

These temped me many times, but they were always too expensive at more than the cost of a complete rifle. Now it looks like they aren't taking more orders, which to me seems like a kiss of death in spite of the claim of "demand is too high."

Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

amazing the 'polarized' opinions of this gun. For me, I have some strange attraction to the sheer awkwardness of these things. A Zastava version in 9mm strangely appeals to me.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
Bought a few of these in Romanian and Yugo flavors back when they were around 2 Benjamins, and the main appeal was the ammo which IIRC around 10 cents. The Yugo is superior with the better safety and extra capacity. Some folks remove the import safety, particularly on the Romys b/c they suck.

Deals then were too good to pass up.

When you want a pistol that penetrates, there is no equal. The Boxotruth did a test of a variety of handguns, and this one is the only one that penetrated the USGI kevlar helmet.

I also like the flatness of it. It is a very thin pistol that makes the 1911 feel fat. I like the ergos just fine. Sure, it could use a lot of improvements, which would come in the succeeding decades. But for an "old gun" that shoots a very hot caliber, it is impressive.

It's actually a pretty sexy pistol too.

The Belgians disagree.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, but you can't get the really good ammo in the US, but standard pressure 7.62 Tok will punch through most soft armor and kevlar helmets.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2