Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 95  Next
 Post YOUR Random Gun Pics 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Colt archive letter arrived. It started retail life on Sep 12th 1919 at Edwards & Walker Co Hardware store in Portland Maine.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a handsome Glock, Steve!

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:52 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

^ Wow . . . that's a good-looking couple. :bow:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Just recently finished a shotgun project.

Originally bought a used left-hand, 12ga, 2-3/4" chamber Remington 870 Wingmaster with 18" smooth bore slug barrel several years ago at Cascade Firearms in Olympia. Came with wood furniture and a short mag tube as all factory sporting guns from the time of manufacture do (the gun was made in late 1980's per serial number lookup). Over several years I reconfigured the whole ball of wax into my dream HD shotgun:
- Bill Springfield trigger job (just mailed the trigger group alone)
- Wilson Combat Magazine Extension Tube, 2-Shot, No Sling attachment
- Mesa Tactical Magazine Clamp with Picatinny Rail
- Elzetta Mini CQB weapon light
- Big Dot XS Express Night Sights for rapid target acquisition at close distances
- Mesa Tactical LEO Telescoping Stock Adapter
- Mesa Tactical / Enidine Shot-Shok hydraulic recoil buffer
- Magpul CTR Stock
- Hogue Fore-end Grip
- Hogue Pistol Grip
- Vang Comp Big Dot Safety
- Mesa Tactical Receiver-Back Ambi Hook Loop Sling Attachment
- GG&G Tactical Rem 870 Front Looped Sling Attachment
- Cross-Tac Tactical Ambi Sling

Also just recently had a local guy do a Gun Kote matte black finish treatment. In the near future I'll pick up an SOE shotgun card for receiver mounted reloads.

It's been a great gun for running defensive shotgun classes at FAS in Onalaska. Will be taking some more training classes with it here in Tejas over the next year.

Next shotgun will likely be a Beretta 1301 Tactical though that will certainly be a year or two in the future still.
In the next couple weeks heading for a full day of range testing to pattern various types of 00 buckshot to figure out optimum feeding habits for my little critter.

Attachment:
DSCN1394.JPG

Attachment:
DSCN1398.JPG

Attachment:
DSCN1402.JPG

Attachment:
DSCN1406.JPG

That's a good looking setup.

I probably shoot trap more than anything else. That's led me to setup my HD shotgun differently. I really need to revisit that and take some classes with it.

Bad guys don't jump out when I yell 'pull'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Picked up a new pistol "for the wife" and to help introduce new shooters to the world of firearms.

MadPick wrote:

And if that was meant for me...thanks!!

Last edited by token3495 on Thu May 04, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:45 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

token3495 wrote:
MadPick wrote:

And if that was meant for me...thanks!!

It was . . . damn tannardog got in my way. :cussing: :wink05:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Want High end Russian military gear? PM me!

Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice 870 Andrew, yours?

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, mine. Not an 870 though, S&W 3000. The first and IMO the best of the 870 clones. Fit and finish is remarkable. My understanding is that the 3000 was made as a competitor to the 870 in the Police gun market, but all Smith did was make an 870 that might take some proprietary parts, or might not. Very little concrete information around on what fits and doesn`t, so I`m thinking about seeing if I can borrow and 870 from someone so I can make my own list. Still, it was a police gun (Portland, OR) and it shows. Plenty of scratches around and a sizable nick in the muzzle mostly. I think the nick is from it falling barrel first on something hard like concrete or pavement.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice Andrew. Learned something new today. Was totally unaware that S&W ever made Remington 870 clones. The old Wingmaster and Police models in particular are fantastic guns.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:

That's a good looking setup.

I probably shoot trap more than anything else. That's led me to setup my HD shotgun differently. I really need to revisit that and take some classes with it.

Bad guys don't jump out when I yell 'pull'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks RS. It's been a very long time coming together and for awhile was a hodgepodge of factory blued parts and aftermarket matte black parts that I finally just refinished the entire gun recently :bigsmile:

Trap is a ton of fun. Recently sold off a Winchester Diamond Grade O/U with two barrel set as I just haven't been doing much clay pigeon shooting. Eventually I'd like to pick up a nice Browning or Beretta for five stand and sporting clays.

Training classes are a blast. FAS hosts a very good series of defensive shotgun courses with some shooting on paper for patterning and a lot of shooting on steel to push your speed shooting. Also a good mix of shooting slugs at various distances with quite a bit of buckshot and birdshot as well. Round counts are pretty high in two day classes. I have pretty bony shoulders so use the law enforcement / reduced recoil 2-3/4" rounds and also the Enidine Shot-Shok works like a champ. A lot of guys shoot semi-autos in defensive training as well and they can be great guns if you choose carefully. Some are picky about cycling with the low-brass, reduced recoil rounds popular for self-defense applications. The upside is the action substantially reduces recoil for those recoil-sensitive among us (myself included).

Also the AR style buttstock was a good solution for me. I have very long arms and my traditional LOP is around 15.5". So with the AR buttstock I can adjust it right out to my own custom LOP, typically longest setting. No need to play around with a fixed stock and creating the necessary LOP with buttstock spacers and recoil pad combos.

In classes you'll learn a ton and also quickly figure out what works well on your setup and what is sub-optimal / needs tweaking.

I'm overdue to take some refresher training plus shotguns are just a blast to shoot so classes are a lot of fun.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Nice Andrew. Learned something new today. Was totally unaware that S&W ever made Remington 870 clones. The old Wingmaster and Police models in particular are fantastic guns.

:plusone:

The 3000s were made in Japan by Howa, my research shows. Considering they used to make products for Browning, I`m not at all surprised at how smooth and nicely fitted everything is. I`d like to get an extended magazine tube for it but I have conflicting reports on if 870 extensions fit or not. The only 100% surefire fit is an original Smith, but there`s only one source; some little mom-and-pop gunshop in Texas sells every last spring and pin for these.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 95  Next