Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:11 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 AK thread? AK Thread. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Attachment:
IMG_2903.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_2444.JPG

Top Picture is a SAM7 UF & SLR-107

Bottom Picture is a pair of 107s

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:56 am

Painted 5.56 AK-74 Bulgarian build /w a unique matching numbered parts kit

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The evil black gun we keep hearing about finally became real. 666 Nice rifle.
Nice pictures in this thread
I'm going in, to my safe and dig out some of my specialty AKs. Builds, if you will. Modified creations of a sick mind. My attempts to make a perfect short range battle rifle something better. Russia, China, and the US come together. Franken Ks tomorrow.

mancat wrote:
Painted 5.56 AK-74 Bulgarian build /w a unique matching numbered parts kit

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love AK's. :thumbsup2:
Great thread.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As promised, more AKs. These are not collectable. They are working guns, and are either out somewhere, or are in the row of the safe where I don't worry too much about the guns banging into each other. From left to right back row. 1) VEPR .308 with the barrel chopped and crowned at just a hair over 16". The Euro wire folder has been lengthened about 1 1/2" to fit me. Topped with an Aimpoint pro, and an Eagle Tac Light underneath, a Hogue grip, and an ALG FCG, this is my main grab gun. 2)Next is another VEPR .308. This rifle shoots MOA with good ammo. It has an adjustable 2 stage Red Star trigger. The Magazine is a M14 mag converted to work in VEPRs. 3) A PSL carbine. This is a PSL kit with a chopped barrel built on a Nodak Spud receiver. The short barrel eliminates the "walking" of the point of impact caused by the long thin barrels of a normal PSL. 4)A Chines AK in 5.56 with a Euro wire folder stock. This thing loves steel cased ammo. 5) Another Chinese AK in 5.56 that loves a steady diet of filthy steel cased ammo. It has a Russian A-100 style folder stock, (major pain to install). It also has a slide rail added for slide on optics. I think the furniture up front came off a Bulgarian rifle.It has a p-223 scope on it. 6) A Draco Micro with a slide rail added for optics, which is again an Eotech MRDS. It has a folding arm brace and a 4 piece muzzle device to make shooting it tolerable. It has an ALG FCG which makes it a mag dumping fire breathing thing of beauty, that brings great joy to all that shoot it. Up front left is the one of the first Saiga .308s I converted. It has thousands of rounds through it with out a single problem. An ancient Eotech 512, Red Star FCG and an Eagle Tac light are some of the upgrades. This was my "go to" gun for years... Lastly, front right is a 2001 model VEPR in 7.62x39 with a 20" chrome lined barrel. It's topped of with a Trigicon ACOG and has a Red Star adjustable trigger in it. It is the most accurate 7.62x39 I've EVER Shot. Period! That's why it sports a $1000 plus dollar ACOG with 7.62x39 ballistic reticle lit by fiber opitic by day, and tritium by night. This will keep keep heads down out to 400 plus yards easy, and can hit an apple at 200 yards.... These are blue collar working rifles, any of which (except the Draco Micro) would make a good SHTF rifle if they had to fill that role. More latter.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:23 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Well I WAS going to post a pic of el cheapo AMD 65 that I just picked up, but I don't really want to now.

Where are you guys buying your 30rd mags? Price vs quality? Poly mags or steel?

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
Well I WAS going to post a pic of el cheapo AMD 65 that I just picked up, but I don't really want to now.

Where are you guys buying your 30rd mags? Price vs quality? Poly mags or steel?

Post It! :thumbsup2:

Russian Bakelite mags are IMHO the best. After that Chinese steel, then Euro steel. The Euro surplus are everywhere for about $13. Make sure a 30 rounder will fit in the AMD. 20 rounders seem to rock in better because of the forward grip being in the way, but some take 30s fine.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:39 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thanks for the mag info badclam! I removed the front grip because of the mag interference issue. I'd rather have the freedom to run 30+ round mags without worrying about fitment. The funky little nub is a pierce pinky extension from a Glock 29 mag. It provides a nice little hand stop without getting in the way of the mags. Very easy modification.

The seller also gave me a couple steel 20rd mags with it but they are extremely hard to lock in. Really have to pull back to get the mag catch to engage. I may look at trading those off for some 30rd mags in the future. Right now I'd just like to get a basic set of 10-15 mags and a couple cases of ammo to keep it fed.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SWEET!

That is nice how you fixed the front grip problem. I'm going to do that.
Try some surplus 30 rounders and see if they lock in hard also. If yes, you might have to file just a hair off the magazine catch. Don't do that until you have tried some other mags and made sure that is the problem. They should "rock" back, front in first, and lock up tight without a lot of pressure.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:26 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

badclam wrote:
SWEET!

That is nice how you fixed the front grip problem. I'm going to do that.
Try some surplus 30 rounders and see if they lock in hard also. If yes, you might have to file just a hair off the magazine catch. Don't do that until you have tried some other mags and made sure that is the problem. They should "rock" back, front in first, and lock up tight without a lot of pressure.

Thanks man! Easy little project. Just drill out the hole in the pinky extension to fit the factory AMD grip screw. Then flip the mounting hardware upside down so the angled piece that is normally inside the handguard now sits outside under the extension. The angles actually line up pretty well.

The tapco 30rd mag that shipped with the rifle locks in nicely and easily. It's just the metal 20rd mags that are tough to lock in. I was talking with zombie66 earlier and I think we identified the problem with the 20 rounders. On the bottom they're stamped "Made in Korea" :ROFLMAO:

Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Made in Korea"

Means trouble when it comes to magazines. I bet that's the problem.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed. KCI sucks.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Want High end Russian military gear? PM me!

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice AMD Mike. If you ever decide to get rid of it, drop me a pm.

:bigsmile:

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:57 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

L_O_G wrote:
Nice AMD Mike. If you ever decide to get rid of it, drop me a pm.

:bigsmile:

Thanks bud! Jason has got first dibs, but I'll probably hang onto it for a while. He told me about ad for this rifle which was a pretty good deal considering current prices. Thanks for the compliment man, Jason's head is probably exploding right about now for not buying it himself :ROFLMAO:

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Screw that tiny footed turd.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next