Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:33 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Krag Sporter 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So long story short. Ben gets a Krag. Steve wants a sight off the Krag. Steve has a gun Ben wants and one thing lead to another and Steve got a whole 'nother Krag and some cash and Ben got a different gun and some ammo and whatnot.

Now I have two fucking Krag sporters.

This one is a Model 1896 rifle made in 1897 that was cut down, had a new front sight installed, and the original military stock reshaped and even had checkering and shit done to it. Then sometime in the past, some jackass slathered the whole thing with a disgusting epoxy (I'm looking at you 1960's and 70's "restorers") and made a mildly interesting stock just shit.

Anyway, this has a been there, done it all feel, and probably has accounted for a great many deer and who knows what else. All the adjustment screws on the Redfield peep are frozen, so my first chore is to loosen that thing up. Second is to find a new stock for it. I was going to swap stocks with my other Krag, but apparently some minor degree of hand fitting is required for some reason. Meh. Anyway, here it is.

Not too bad looking from here...

"Look ma, the ad was right! I can be a gunsmith at home with just three easy lessons!"

Front sight detail

Missing the buttplate.

Checkering with a fleur-de-lis

Yup, it's a modified military stock all right.

Checkering again

Rear peep w/ brass ghost ring

Rear peep again.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:50 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

That front sight is exquisite.

kf7mjf wrote:
Steve wants a sight off the Krag.

I can see why you were so enamored with it!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
That front sight is exquisite.

kf7mjf wrote:
Steve wants a sight off the Krag.

I can see why you were so enamored with it!

It was the rear sight I wanted. But I'm truly in love with the fine workmanship of that front sight. :4couple:

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, it was tough giving up that beauty.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is from a sporterized Krag that Dad bought in the 1950's. It's a real shame as the stock has some nice figure in it.
It must have been a beautiful rifle when it was built.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh wow, that's a gorgeous stock. Any chance you want to get rid of it? I'm looking to upgrade my stock. Or rather will in a month or two when I've got some finances taken care of.

Despite the stock I really like this sporter I got, once it's cleaned up it should be a pretty decent brush gun.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Oh wow, that's a gorgeous stock. Any chance you want to get rid of it? I'm looking to upgrade my stock. Or rather will in a month or two when I've got some finances taken care of.

Despite the stock I really like this sporter I got, once it's cleaned up it should be a pretty decent brush gun.

It's yours for free. Just PM me when you'll be in the Mill Creek area and you can come over and pick it up, or I can meet you somewhere around here.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome, thanks! I don't get up that way much, but might be a good excuse to go up there soon.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SCORE!

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool Frankengun!

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
Cool Frankengun!

It can keep my H&R Trapdoor company after I put target sights on it. Still fighting the urge to cut it down to carbine length.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:38 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

kf7mjf wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:
Cool Frankengun!

It can keep my H&R Trapdoor company after I put target sights on it. Still fighting the urge to cut it down to carbine length.

That was what I meant by my reply to your first post- there's nothing holding you back on this beauty, except maybe you. :cheers2:

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last guy that spoke in the third person was Bob Dole, don't be Bob Dole.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]