Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:08 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 First AR 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah steve I like that. If they included the mount I'd be all over it. Is the cantilever mount just for clearing the charging handle? Doesn't seem like a big deal for me. I was also looking at the Barska or UTG ones. Both those come with a mount
Just ordered ammo from freedom munitions. Will order a scope tomorrow probably.

*For this AR i didn't want a 3-9x (or more). On the next i will
**Googling Hi-lux now

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
3-9x on a 16" 5.56mm AR? I wouldn't suggest that. Should start at 1x. Ask Marines who used rifles with 4x ACOGs how they did at close range.

I believe the OP said he would using this for plinking, not shooting insurgents. Or I could be wrong...

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
hkcavalier wrote:
3-9x on a 16" 5.56mm AR? I wouldn't suggest that. Should start at 1x. Ask Marines who used rifles with 4x ACOGs how they did at close range.

I believe the OP said he would using this for plinking, not shooting insurgents. Or I could be wrong...

Just like every Marine (even the pencil pushers) is a rifleman, every gun has a main job it's bought for but should have some utility for self defense and/or hunting. But it's the OP's money to do with as he wishes. Maybe I'm too pragmatic but a range toy with zero realistic utility anywhere else is wasted money. Before someone says something, competition guns have tons of utility, even single shot .22s.

I could see a bull barreled 16" with a 3-9x or greater. I just don't see why you would do that with an M4gery.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:35 pm

I Bought One of those PSA deals, it's not a bad scope just on the heavy side. I mostly like red dots on my AR's though, but it's good to have options.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MFTIC wrote:
Quick question, have a 300' shoot this weekend(I think its optimistic on finding a place for that), but will the gun do it and what where/find to do it?

Become a member at the Kenmore range. They have a nice 300 yard range but it's member's only.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO, get backup sights. I personally would go with something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Diamondhead-USA-I ... ead+sights

I have the metal version and love them, but the metal is pretty spendy. They also have so photo-illuminous stuff on them I think.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just thinking. 500rounds of ammo just came in. Never had a new rifle before. How (and why) do i break in the barrel. Havne't had time to look anything up. Scope should be in by friday. :)

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:01 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

MFTIC wrote:
I was just thinking. 500rounds of ammo just came in. Never had a new rifle before. How (and why) do i break in the barrel. Havne't had time to look anything up. Scope should be in by friday. :)

Shoot the hell out of it.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
MFTIC wrote:

Shoot the hell out of it.

:plusone: :AR15firing:

That's what I did with mine, barely got it thrown together, then shot the ever loving crap out of it! Put about 150 rounds through it the first outing (had a few issues, mostly due to new parts and too little lube), and then another 5-600 rounds in the following weeks. Runs like a champ now, haven't had a single hiccup since the first outing.

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MFTIC wrote:

Agree that you just need to shoot it a bunch. With a semi automatic, you're really breaking in the entire gun. IMO a stock AR trigger will get a little smoother but with never really "break in" like, say, a double action revolver. It might lose 1/2lb of pull after many, many range sessions but will always suck compared to a good aftermarket trigger.

Make sure you lube the inside of the upper fairly well --- not so much that it's dripping into your lower, but a nice coat. The steel BCG > your aluminum upper, so that first shooting session will turn the upper receiver lube into a gray sloppy mess which is totally normal, that's some of the hard anodizing wearing away.

Don't shoot steel cased ammo and then later brass cased without thoroughly cleaning your chamber. Steel doesn't seal as well as brass and could cause extraction problems with brass cases. Most steel cased ammo has a copper-coated steel jacket on the bullet which does wear the barrel more than a regular copper jacket, although south of 5,000 rounds you probably won't see the difference.

Good luck with your new AR!

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2