Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Spots around Sultan/Duvall 

Hey y'all,

I enjoy going around the northern/northeast areas from Seattle and had some luck in Sultan. I saw on the interactive map the Duvall Rock Pit, but a lot of old forum posts speculate that it's illegal to go shooting there. Anyway, I was curious if that's still open and how to access it and if there's any other honey holes around the area people recommend. Thanks!

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in if your find something up in this area. I have seen the Duvall pit on the map but also heard the same thing that you were unable to shoot. Have not trekked out that way though.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duvall is not out in the boonies anymore.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:39 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pablo wrote:

*cough* bullshit *cough*

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Pablo wrote:

*cough* bullshit *cough*

OK city boy. Just you can't go shooting between houses anymore like I'm seeing your hood brother do.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still need a passport to get there, though, right? :ROFLMAO:

Just playin', but man, one Sunday morning I had to be up there to judge a barbecue contest at some ungodly hour. And, at that hour, on a Sunday morning, it was hellafar away (if hellafar is a word....)

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sultan Basin Road has several places to shoot. You must be a certain distance from the main road (500 feet? I think?) to legally shoot. There are a number of places where you can park on the main road and walk a short distance to a pit. Enjoy.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:27 am
Profile WWW

Captain90s wrote:
Sultan Basin Road has several places to shoot. You must be a certain distance from the main road (500 feet? I think?) to legally shoot. There are a number of places where you can park on the main road and walk a short distance to a pit. Enjoy.

Adding to this, just be sure you're out of the no shooting area: https://snohomishcountywa.gov/DocumentC ... e/View/265

Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:03 pm

Is there a pit to shoot near Duvall that is legal?

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:06 pm

NastyNate wrote:
Is there a pit to shoot near Duvall that is legal?

There are a number of excellent 50-100 yard pits and lots of good clear cuts on the DNR land east of Duvall and south of Sultan.

Oh, legal? No. After failing in their attempts to repeal the 2nd amendment as well as to change state law to outlaw shooting on public land, the lefty, fascist bureaucrats at the DNR decided to legislate through policy by gating literally every single road that doesn't lead directly to a private residence and posting no shooting signs on every gate.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Last edited by Hill1001 on Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Pablo wrote:

*cough* bullshit *cough*

OK city boy. Just you can't go shooting between houses anymore like I'm seeing your hood brother do.

As I've told many of my friends who come to visit, Duvall isn't in the boonies, but you have to drive through them to get there.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:54 am
Profile WWW

Hill1001 wrote:
Just so you know, no shooting signs posted by DNR are valid in a 500ft radius around the sign. You can park at the gate and walk in.

Be careful with that. WAC only defines prohibitions as applicable within 500 feet of a "prohibited area." I've contacted DNR for the Northwest and the South Puget Sound regions and been told the same thing; that there is no definition, either in the WAC or even written within internal DNR policy, which defines how far around a posted sign a shooting restriction is in effect. The only thing I could get, even verbally, was a statement that the sign applies to the "area." When pressing for a clear definition of "area," I was told, "the continuous DNR land past the gate." I think he meant to say contiguous, however. Without this being clearly and definitively established, you're at the mercy of the discretion of a responding officer or DNR bureaucrat if you get caught. Personally, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Hill1001 wrote:
The gates are there to prevent people from illegally dumping at the shooting pits. They're already bad enough.

Also from my conversations with DNR, they told me the gates were put up to prevent dumping, but people kept walking in to shoot, so they put up the shooting prohibitions later. That statement shows they just don't want people shooting, and for no justifiable reason. Per South Puget Sound region DNR representatives, target shooting is illegal in all of King County. That's completely false, but it illustrates their intention to rewrite laws with which they disagree by creating policies designed to achieve the same outcome. Since they don't want people exercising constitutionally protected and explicitly state sanctioned rights, but can't change the law on their own, they simply exploit their legal ability of prohibiting recreation in specific areas by explicitly prohibiting shooting in literally every suitable location, individually, in King County. It's a practice not in the spirit of the law and it's something which desperately needs to be challenged in court.

Hill1001 wrote:
Your best bet is to contact DNR or WDFW to find out where it is okay to shoot. DNR law enforcement has always been cool with us and explains where and where not it is safe and legal to shoot on the land they manage.

Good luck with that. It is legal to shoot on all DNR land unless otherwise posted and provided you're shooting within the guidelines of the WAC. An area need not be explicitly sanctioned as a shooting area. If you, as a gun owner, can't tell if an area is safe or not, you probably shouldn't own guns. Asking DNR where you can shoot would be like asking Planned Parenthood to recommend a good midwife to deliver your baby. They have a political mission and it does not align with our hobby.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]