Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:43 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Elbe Hills Pit 

I went out to Elbe Hills last weekend for the first time. Not a bad spot. I hauled out more brass than I shot but didn't think to bring a garbage bag. The ground was littered with plastic "targets".

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmmmm....A WAGUNS clean and shoot might be in order. I assume that's DNR land?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:18 pm

usrifle wrote:
Hmmmmm....A WAGUNS clean and shoot might be in order. I assume that's DNR land?

Yes.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We've been there in the past and there is a Facebook gun group that has been spearheading it. Sorry, don't do facebook but if there is someone who does, maybe we can join up and clean it up?

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:37 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

jackass wrote:
We've been there in the past and there is a Facebook gun group that has been spearheading it. Sorry, don't do facebook but if there is someone who does, maybe we can join up and clean it up?

Well . . . as you noted, we did join forces with them once to clean it up, and we put up one of our WaGuns "please keep it clean" signs, with the permission of the DNR folks.

The leaders of the Facebook group came totally unglued and accused us of trying to take credit for the shoot (because the sign had a WaGuns logo), and started banning WaGuns people from the Facebook group.

It was ugly. I'm game to try again . . . once they get new leadership.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
jackass wrote:

Well . . . as you noted, we did join forces with them once to clean it up, and we put up one of our WaGuns "please keep it clean" signs, with the permission of the DNR folks.

The leaders of the Facebook group came totally unglued and accused us of trying to take credit for the shoot (because the sign had a WaGuns logo), and started banning WaGuns people from the Facebook group.

Did you have enough cake to share? Part of the issue?

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:31 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

chevytruckman wrote:
Did you have enough cake to share? Part of the issue?

At least that would have been a logical reason for the anger. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
jackass wrote:

Sounds like their group has fallen behind on the upkeep of that Pit. Apparently they are more worried about recognition than results.

Too bad, we will all suffer if it gets closed down. I have never been there, but i was up for joining a work party and shoot.

Maybe we should just do it and not even notify them.....and leave plenty of signs up. :bigsmile:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I drive by there regularly. This is my neighborhood.

Its always a mess. I will not shoot there. While towing the wheeler to the ORV park we are regularly stopped by rude looking folks and homeboys crossing the road.

Somehow dorks with guns think that 14,000 lbs of truck, trailer, wheeler should yield to him cuz hes got sagging pants and a sideways pistol. The lack of brains and common sense there is amazing.

It usually doesnt look like a place or crowd that I want to be associated with. Bad manners, shot up Tvs, garbage, shot shells. etc.

Just my .02

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
I drive by there regularly. This is my neighborhood.

Its always a mess. I will not shoot there. While towing the wheeler to the ORV park we are regularly stopped by rude looking folks and homeboys crossing the road.

Somehow dorks with guns think that 14,000 lbs of truck, trailer, wheeler should yield to him cuz hes got sagging pants and a sideways pistol. The lack of brains and common sense there is amazing.

It usually doesnt look like a place or crowd that I want to be associated with. Bad manners, shot up Tvs, garbage, shot shells. etc.

Just my .02

I personally think that is the kind of situation that needs to be corrected so the public doesn't view that Pit as the nuisance it is. That's how they get shutdown.

Public shooting pits are few and far between. Giving up on one of them because of idiots is really not a good option in my opinion.

A good showing of the public and the backup of the USFS LEO Rangers regularly always helps, especially if it is on an ongoing basis.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was there when we helped clean that pit. The drama afterward was sad to say the least; even the guy who cooked,brought food was banned from their forum. I thought about messaging the members individually to get them out at other clean ups but i figured that might cause more drama. Also the members who came out to that shoot were not the brightest; the very first shot of the shoot was right next to someones head. Needless to say there was a lot of yelling after that. I swear one guy was on meth, missing a bunch of teeth and walking all funny.

If someone decides to head a cleanup in that area i would not invite them. I know we need as many people as possible out there cleaning up but something is seriously wrong with the leadership with that group. Looking at my old volunteer voucher; Nancy Barlar ? is the DNR woman to supported us.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nancy Barker is the DNR woman.

I tried to organize cleanups in the past but the Facebook guys did a much better job in organizing.

However, it needs to be picked up and my weekends (and my kids) are open.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think that FB goup exists any longer. I think that one was shut down like many of the other FB groups over the last year.

That pit used to be my main shooting location years ago. I don't think I have shot there in probably 3 years, but if someone wants to put together a clean up count me in.

*side note, the last time I was there two fellas pulled up, loaded mags in their AK-47s and proceeded to do full auto mag dumps. I decieded it was time to pack up and haven't been back since. And no....they were no bump firing.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Facebook page is Washington Guns and Ammo forum. Treves Evans seems to be the guy heading up the cleanups at Elbe hills from there. The next one is actually scheduled for April 15th. They normally do the cleanup with a BBQ and shoot afterwards.

I've seen the drama that has existed in the past and I'd like to stay away from it. I am all about group cleanups and shoots, but it only takes one idiot to make me stay away. I just try to grab extra trash on my way out anytime i shoot at a public place.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I clean that place every time I go.
Always looks terrible the next time.
But I do it anyway.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next