Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Any places to shoot in whatcom county? 

Noticed the map was offline. I have a few friends up there that want to go shooting with me sometime and I was wondering if there are any gravel pits or anything that are still open to shooting.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:53 pm

I've been told Algers mountain in Sedro-Woolley is good to go, off of skarrup rd/alger hill rd, looking at google maps its near old logging sites?

My buddy lives near there, and always hears ppl shooting off in the distance, then again he's adding a plate rack to his property.

Edit: its skagit county, but close enough to whatcom lol...

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fairhaven, Campus, Downtown.....

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Resurrecting this thread since i just bought a home in Lynden. I see references to the Custer range and Plantation in south Bellingham. Any thoughts on these?

I mostly shoot pistol and small bore rifle, but also wanting to get back into trap and skeet after a long hiatus.

Any suggestions welcome.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love Custer. If it wasnt 40 minutes from my house I'd be a member in a heartbeat.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. Im looking forward to checking it out..18 min from the new place , per Google maps.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've shot at Plantation. It's not bad. They have covered shooting positions with targets from 50 yds out to 300 yards. They run the range a little different (or did the last time I shot there). When you check in you pick the range you'll want to shoot at and the number of targets you'll use. The targets are already set up on the target boards. They don't have cease fires unless they need to put up more targets on a busy day.

You'll need a spotting scope so you can record your shots. They sell a pad of reduced sized targets for a reasonable price and you just look in your spotting scope then mark where each shot hit. When done you just pack and leave. No waiting to pull targets, etc.

They also have a fixed chronograph setup but they charge .25 per shot over it.

Bear in mind that it's been a couple years since I shot there as I now am a member of a range about 40 miles closer. I liked the range because I could go there, pay my fee, shoot, and go home, without a lot of wasted time

Last time I was there with my new 5-R milspec I shot a 3/4" group at 300 yards. Winds there are not as bad as some ranges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've enjoyed Plantation. Bring your own set of binocs, their spotting scopes are cheap to rent but not very powerful. They're happy to pull your targets for you if you ask, in case you want to examine them more closely or take them with you. Very friendly staff. There's an actual bathroom (inside!) that's a welcome feature when it's 35 degrees outside.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
I've enjoyed Plantation. Bring your own set of binocs, their spotting scopes are cheap to rent but not very powerful. They're happy to pull your targets for you if you ask, in case you want to examine them more closely or take them with you. Very friendly staff. There's an actual bathroom (inside!) that's a welcome feature when it's 35 degrees outside.

And even nicer, it's clean and warm.

Not like some ranges where the "facilities" consist of a Porta-Potty that may or may not have been serviced sometime in the last 6 months.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Custer gun club hands down. Been a member rhere for years and always enjoy it.
Im not into Plantation's rules, so I avoid it.

Divided we fall.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm curious which rules at Plantation bother you. I didn't find them particularly onerous and I'm wondering if my use of the range just doesn't rub up against them or if I missed something.

I've heard Custer is a great place to shoot but I haven't been there yet.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
I'm curious which rules at Plantation bother you. I didn't find them particularly onerous and I'm wondering if my use of the range just doesn't rub up against them or if I missed something.

I've heard Custer is a great place to shoot but I haven't been there yet.

From the website:
-The Indoor Pistol and Smallbore Rifle Range has12 firing points with electric target carriers with a maximum indoor distance of 25 yards.  Ammunition for use on the indoor range, except for .22 Rimfire, must be either Total Metal Jacket (TMJ), Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP), or other closed-base jacketed bullets.

This makes it too expensive to go shooting considering I reload moly coated lead bullets for a fraction of the cost. Custer is a much better range, open year round sunup to sundown.

Divided we fall.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:11 pm

OhShoot! wrote:
From the website:
-The Indoor Pistol and Smallbore Rifle Range has12 firing points with electric target carriers with a maximum indoor distance of 25 yards.  Ammunition for use on the indoor range, except for .22 Rimfire, must be either Total Metal Jacket (TMJ), Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP), or other closed-base jacketed bullets..

Not an uncommon requirement for an indoor range.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OhShoot! wrote:
From the website:
-The Indoor Pistol and Smallbore Rifle Range has12 firing points with electric target carriers with a maximum indoor distance of 25 yards.  Ammunition for use on the indoor range, except for .22 Rimfire, must be either Total Metal Jacket (TMJ), Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP), or other closed-base jacketed bullets.

This makes it too expensive to go shooting considering I reload moly coated lead bullets for a fraction of the cost. Custer is a much better range, open year round sunup to sundown.

Makes sense. I've only used their outdoor range so didn't encounter the ammo restrictions.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, how about the Whatcom Co. gun shows? I see Sumas and Lynden Falcon shows coming up. Any input on these? If I were to get a table (non-dealer) to sell some of my collection,is there an in-house transfer deal, like WAC has?

And on that note, any good choices to do a non-show private transfer in the area? I've been using Sound Loan in Everett and occasionally Precice Shooter, buy they will be a half day away now..

Thanks

Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next