Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely despicable press coverage.

They make it sound like most shooters are neo-nazi freaks all shooting tannerite! Insane.

Read this and then call/email the report to let them know you don't appreciate their obvious biased push to shut Greenwater down.

They did SOME balanced coverage with Dan and a few other shooters but it was drowned in a sea of racist and arson accusations!

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... residents/

Quote:
Hurst, a former police commander who has a “Top Gun” mustache and several guns of his own, used politically loaded language to describe groups of shooters he believes are causing problems. They’re “militia-type neo-Nazis,” “white trash people who are just kind of stupid” and “young people who saw how fun it is to blow stuff up in the woods” on social media, he said.

How many arrests for tannerite up there? ANY?

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

A couple of topics have been merged....

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ahh the dreaded media spin is in full effect. I wonder how many newbies both positive and negative will join here after seeing the link on the article.

Last edited by L_O_G on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, didn't see the first one. I don't appreciate how they threw gun owners under the bus, especially after all the hard work the Waguns volunteers did in cleanup there.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
He mentions us in what seems like a good light in the comment section.

I will reach out to him next week. If we can stay on the good side of lawmakers as much as possible it may bode well.

I have a question:

Is it a reasonable assumption that the rednecks that leave all the trash are local (to Greenwater/Enumclaw)?
And that most of us that come from out of the area, happy to have somewhere to shoot clean our mess up?

Also and btw, DNR LE are getting a commission from King County Sheriff, so they will be able to help with enforcement in the areas they patrol in. (not Greenwater I think, but maybe it frees up some time from USFS LE in North Bend etc. I'm meeting* with Martie/USFS and DNR LE in a few weeks and will ask her if this might change the manpower equation a little)

*unrelated to this issue

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
Is it a reasonable assumption that the rednecks that leave all the trash are local (to Greenwater/Enumclaw)?
And that most of us that come from out of the area, happy to have somewhere to shoot clean our mess up

No. It's not a reasonable assumption on your part. Shooters come from all over.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you guys see the King 5 hack job too? The Liberal Media at it's finest. :angryfire:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

danoh wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
And that most of us that come from out of the area, happy to have somewhere to shoot clean our mess up

No. It's not a reasonable assumption on your part. Shooters come from all over.

Agreed, I wouldn't make that assumption. I think it's possible/likely that the people who bring the biggest pieces of trash are local (they're basically dumping it), but the problem shooters are probably from all over.

There's some ridiculousness in that Seattle Times article for sure. However, the basic problem of irresponsible shooters is real; we need a combination of community activism (that's us) and help from the Forest Service to solve the problem.

And yes, more law enforcement is a big part of it.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So now with this being in the news and all the bad coverage; i hope we can get some more support out there when do cleanups and go too meetings about these issues.We have an up hill battle to fight and there is going to be some changes in that area in the future with out a doubt in my mind and i'd like for us as outdoor target shooters to have some say in those changes but we have to have a strong show of support on a consistent basis to show these people we're serious.

Even if you don't shoot in this area or never will; we still need your support in any way shape or form. This is not just a green water issue and if you think the changes coming will only effect this area best think again. Once a major change happens i think it will have a domino effect through out the state.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe another thorn is shutting down during a burn ban.
While in all respects I agree a temporary shutdown would be advisable due to conditions and the possibility of an accident, it would be bad in the long term.
If they succeed in a temporary shutdown, it's just a matter of time before they are able to show that the temporary shutdown did not harm anyone, so shut it down permanently.
Most, not all, damage and garbage in that area is from locals, at least within 30 or so miles. The late night stuff, is local kids/people.
I'm close to the area, and another dozen. Up until about 10 years ago I shot at every one of them at some point in the year, stopped when garbage and crowds got in the way.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
I believe another thorn is shutting down during a burn ban.
While in all respects I agree a temporary shutdown would be advisable due to conditions and the possibility of an accident, it would be bad in the long term.
If they succeed in a temporary shutdown, it's just a matter of time before they are able to show that the temporary shutdown did not harm anyone, so shut it down permanently.
Most, not all, damage and garbage in that area is from locals, at least within 30 or so miles. The late night stuff, is local kids/people.
I'm close to the area, and another dozen. Up until about 10 years ago I shot at every one of them at some point in the year, stopped when garbage and crowds got in the way.

I've been pushing to get that area altered by uprooting the stumps and underbrush with heavy equipment and changing the angle of the firing line. This would make it safer and prevent fires so hopefully all sides can agree on this and make it happen.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
And yes, more law enforcement is a big part of it.

I'm involved in some official discussions with USFS LE, DNR LE, local LE around another area that is potentially going to become a big problem (not due to shooting) and the situation is equally grim. Local LE refuse to go where there is no radio coverage, loathe to spend any time on USFS/DNR land, and they're already stretched on their patrol areas outside roads like this. I've brought up Greenwater with them before casually and they don't think much is going to change. (I haven't spoken with Pierce Co though)

I am not sure if USFS is going to replace the 2nd LEO they got for our general area. When the 2nd guy showed up, they split patrol with one guy taking North Bend etc, and the other taking 410/Greenwater etc. I'm not clear on whether it is a budget issue, or finding qualified people who will stick around.

On anything firearm related, I believe USFS is not going to have the regular rangers get involved, only the LE rangers.

Now they also rely on local LE for backup. And local LE (both King and Pierce) are loathe to go down FS70.

I am not sure what the LE solution is. LE is spread incredibly thin in this state, especially in remote areas. For example DNR has 11 LEOs including the captain (?) for the entire state of WA.

To go a step beyond the existing signs, one idea is to have some kind of host information booth (a trailer) that people going down through FS70 stop at to help with education etc. Maybe handing out tarps/trash bags, safe shooting fliers? If USFS could agree to some kind of fairly official sign and a stop sign for the trailer (staffed by volunteers) that might be a way to help. This is the kind of solution we're considering in the other area (an info booth) but it is far from certain they will allow it.

These agencies tightly grip control of their areas of ownership but then simultaneously throw up their hands and say they have no resources. USFS is absolutely the worst in this way, and they are also on my shit list for a variety of other reasons, although I continue to try to work with them.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:

This is kind of my point, that perhaps the people who are more local are taking the fact they have a shooting area nearby for granted. If I haul my ass down to FS70 to shoot I am absolutely going to take good care of it because I know what it is like to live somewhere with no good outdoor shooting areas nearby, and I want to not lose any more. (putting aside for a moment it is also the right thing to do)

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We need to pull Hurst's bill history and see how many anti-gun bills he has signed onto, should be easy to discredit this guy and show him to be an anti-civil rights zealot. Somehow I get the feeling he is no Brian Blake.

EDIT:
Mr. Hurst, I had the wrong name for bills I was looking at on leg.wa.gov and I was incorrect.

Not only has Mr. Hurst stood up for gun rights throughout his legislative career but he also helped legalize suppressors back in 2011, he opposed 594 and he does have a solid NRA rating. In addition, Mr. Hurst has sought longer sentences for firearms offenders (meaning he understands the real problem with guns being felon recidivism).

Mr. Hurst, I hope you are reading this. I was wrong in my statement about you and I am truly sorry. Thank you for the good work you've done for the 2nd Amendment.

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Alpine on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next