Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Greenwater gravel pit 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ran into a couple forest service workers at the pit while scrounging for brass. They told me for the next 2 weeks Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. it will be closed for work.

ETA: this is the big one about 5 miles in from 410

Last edited by vic_b on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bet you didn't know there's more than one.

yes there are upper pits where forest logging is taking place, maybe even fixing trails.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
bet you didn't know there's more than one.

yes there are upper pits where forest logging is taking place, maybe even fixing trails.

I bet you I did :bigsmile: I spend most days off up there hiking/driving around and looking for good places to shoot.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

So which area will be closed? Are you talking about the large "lower pit"?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The large pit alongside FS70
Forest Road 70

Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone been to the Greenwater pit lately? Any idea of what condition its in right now? Me and a couple of buddies are going out to pew pew pew on Tuesday, most of my other pits are blocked by snow right now.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:39 am
Profile WWW

Was there last week. Cleanest I've seen it in a while.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:45 pm

So i was just up at the greenwater lower pit and the gate is closed (which is to be expected for this time of year) and now the road past the pit has been completely blocked off with boulders and the firing line has been moved out a good 30 yards from the treeline. Not cool. Lots of good spots are now blocked off.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:45 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

terry440 wrote:
So i was just up at the greenwater lower pit and the gate is closed (which is to be expected for this time of year) and now the road past the pit has been completely blocked off with boulders and the firing line has been moved out a good 30 yards from the treeline. Not cool. Lots of good spots are now blocked off.

MADrtcw and I coordinated this with the Forest Service; it was our suggestion. Let me explain.

There have been a LOT of problems at Greenwater with irresponsible forest users, and some of those people are shooters. Bullets have landed in the nearby Greenwater community, bullets have gone into the forest and damaged trees, trash has been left by the truckload, etc. There has been some serious backlash from the local community, some of the lawmakers in Olympia, etc. This meant that we were in very real danger of losing our ability to shoot at many of the Greenwater locations.

The location you're referring to is on road FS7013 and is sometimes called "the clearcut." These are the problems that were seen at that particular location:
1) Trash, trash, trash.
2) The hillside is a GREAT backstop, but many people were shooting to the right, into the trees . . . which is illegal, and can be dangerous because there are sometimes people beyond those trees.
3) The firing line was really, really long . . . which made communication difficult, and often people would walk out to change targets without calling a cold range. Obviously this is very dangerous.
4) If you drive past the clearcut and up that road, there are a number of other, smaller places where people would shoot . . . and many of them were very unsafe. In most cases, this means that the shooting area is right at the top of a hill, without a backstop, and bullets would just fly over the top of the hill and out into the unknown. Remember I mentioned bullets falling in the Greenwater community? This is where I think they were coming from.

So, the changes you described accomplished a few things:

1) Cut off access to this higher, unsafe shooting areas.
2) Reduced the length of the firing line, so shooters will communicate better.
3) Angled the firing line to make it parallel to the big hillside, so people will shoot into the berm.

I think it will be good for us . . . I think it was a pro-shooter change, and pro-everybody else too.

The Forest Service has been very receptive to our input, and very helpful. :thumbsup2:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
terry440 wrote:

MADrtcw and I coordinated this with the Forest Service; it was our suggestion. Let me explain.

There have been a LOT of problems at Greenwater with irresponsible forest users, and some of those people are shooters. Bullets have landed in the nearby Greenwater community, bullets have gone into the forest and damaged trees, trash has been left by the truckload, etc. There has been some serious backlash from the local community, some of the lawmakers in Olympia, etc. This meant that we were in very real danger of losing our ability to shoot at many of the Greenwater locations.

The location you're referring to is on road FS7013 and is sometimes called "the clearcut." These are the problems that were seen at that particular location:
1) Trash, trash, trash.
2) The hillside is a GREAT backstop, but many people were shooting to the right, into the trees . . . which is illegal, and can be dangerous because there are sometimes people beyond those trees.
3) The firing line was really, really long . . . which made communication difficult, and often people would walk out to change targets without calling a cold range. Obviously this is very dangerous.
4) If you drive past the clearcut and up that road, there are a number of other, smaller places where people would shoot . . . and many of them were very unsafe. In most cases, this means that the shooting area is right at the top of a hill, without a backstop, and bullets would just fly over the top of the hill and out into the unknown. Remember I mentioned bullets falling in the Greenwater community? This is where I think they were coming from.

3) Angled the firing line to make it parallel to the big hillside, so people will shoot into the berm.

I think it will be good for us . . . I think it was a pro-shooter change, and pro-everybody else too.

The Forest Service has been very receptive to our input, and very helpful. :thumbsup2:

What the hell is wrong with you, you trying to work with the Forest Service to keep the Pit open instead of being closed for good?

Damn responsible gun owners......

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
MadPick wrote:
terry440 wrote:

1) Trash, trash, trash.

What the hell is wrong with you, you trying to work with the Forest Service to keep the Pit open instead of being closed for good?

Damn responsible gun owners......

Nicely done Steve. Stewardship like this is the only way to keep places open.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

terry440 wrote:

To add to what Madpick has said; it's not over yet,we'll continue to work with the forest service and hopefully open up more and expand more shooting areas in the future. A lot has been done in a very short amount time and more is planned next spring. I invite you to come out with us when we have our next clean and shoot in that area.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:07 pm

One of the many reasons I moved out of King Co, is that you cant shoot anywhere but ranges legally.
My buds come clean down here to Lewis Co to go shooting.

Quote:
The county was originally named after William Rufus King who was Vice-President when the Washington Territory was created in 1853. In 1986, a motion was introduced to change the namesake to Martin Luther King Jr. No public votes or hearings were taken on the change.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:07 am

Went their today, a mile before the gravel pit they blocked access to it. Damn no place to shoot the 400 rounds I just bought.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SAM7R wrote:
Went their today, a mile before the gravel pit they blocked access to it. Damn no place to shoot the 400 rounds I just bought.

It's block every year for snowmobiling i believe. Probably will reopen sometime late march. we have cleanups at that pit starting spring; come out and join us next time.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next