Know a great, safe spot to shoot? Post it up! Coordinate clean-up effort here as well.
Post a reply

Night shooting near Tacoma?

Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:25 am

Anyone know of anyplace near Tacoma I can go shooting at night? I’m pretty new to the area and would like to train a little bear with my goon gear ;)

Re: Night shooting near Tacoma?

Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:24 pm

shooting map up top in banner

Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:08 pm

cmica wrote:shooting map up top in banner

Yeah I just don’t know if there are any rules prohibiting shooting at night in some of the public areas out in the woods.

Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:21 pm

Texas2Tacoma wrote:
cmica wrote:shooting map up top in banner

Yeah I just don’t know if there are any rules prohibiting shooting at night in some of the public areas out in the woods.

Yep. Each public land forest has rules and they're pretty much the same. Gotta check with the forest agency website for any variations. Be sure you know what land you're going to (BLM, USFS or DNR).

General rules and links to some NW public lands are on the Shooting Regs page at Trash No Land: https://www.trashnoland.org/shooting-regs/

As for hours, typically sunup to sundown. Most will say same as hunting hours, 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 hour after. Some have special hours like not before 9 or 10 AM and not after 4 or 5 PM.

I've found that it's plenty dark at quarter after sundown and you'd still have another 15 mins of shooting time in the dark.

Bill

Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:28 pm

You can shoot up in Capitol at night, just not the triangle pit. Buddy and I were shooting up there around 2AM and DNR ranger stopped to see what all the racquet was about when B stocks were legal.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:36 pm

Thewelshman00 wrote:You can shoot up in Capitol at night, just not the triangle pit. Buddy and I were shooting up there around 2AM and DNR ranger stopped to see what all the racquet was about when B stocks were legal.
“(5) When is target shooting permitted? Unless otherwise posted, persons shall not target shoot one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.”

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/targetshooting

Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:55 pm

dreadi wrote:
Thewelshman00 wrote:You can shoot up in Capitol at night, just not the triangle pit. Buddy and I were shooting up there around 2AM and DNR ranger stopped to see what all the racquet was about when B stocks were legal.
“(5) When is target shooting permitted? Unless otherwise posted, persons shall not target shoot one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.”

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/targetshooting

Yup. What he said.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:01 pm

Most areas of Tacoma have night time shootings.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:02 pm

Anywhere in Tacoma city limits is fine. Just tell the police you are homeless and they will leave you alone.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:15 pm

Portland is okay with night shooting too!

Found this in a rooftop just shy of downtown. Lots of public land downtown!
Bullet in rooftop Portland.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:23 pm

TNL funny you mention that, a few yrs ago cleaning roof found this

Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:29 pm

cmica wrote:TNL funny you mention that, a few yrs ago cleaning roof found this

Ah HA! Now we got your finger prints!

Nice find!

I'm glad mine missed the coil on the AC unit. (I hate brazing a 9mm hole in a condenser coil!)

Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:27 pm

When I was in Iraq i had a buddy catch an AK round like that to the chest. Didn’t kill him but confused the shit out of him at first. He thought a buddy next him had punched him. Wasn’t wearing body armor at the time so had to get it cut out. Was back on the job the next day.

Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:28 pm

NotAMerc wrote:When I was in Iraq i had a buddy catch an AK round like that to the chest. Didn’t kill him but confused the shit out of him at first. He thought a buddy next him had punched him. Wasn’t wearing body armor at the time so had to get it cut out. Was back on the job the next day.

Same thing happened to a buddy. Tore his ear and lodged in the flesh of his neck to shoulder, just up enough to pull it out.
He thought we'd done something and looking for one of us to beat for slicing his ear and stabbing him, to finally discover a round buried in him.
What goes up eventually comes down.
Post a reply