Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:08 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 re-opening shooting areas 

Is there a way that we could petition the "governing powers" to re-open shooting areas? Like the Tinkham road pit along i-90. Could we go there, clean up and repair/improve the site and then petition whomever is in charge to re-open it?

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It all depends on who owns the land. Much of the property is being sold to large timber and real estate corporations. They have no interest in supporting our hobby and typically close access to deter vandalism, trash dumping, drug users/makers, etc...

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once an area is closed to shooting the chances of getting it re-opened are somewhere between Slim and None.

Snohomish County closed the Sultan Pit several years ago and at the time promised that they'd be opening up a "Shooting Park" just as soon as they completed a land swap with DNR. That was at least 4 years ago and they're still "playing with themselves" over the Shooting Park. It's now in the "Study Phase" and it's supposed to be opened first as an "Archery Range".

So much for "promises" from government.

We can thank all the inconsiderate shooters and trash dumpers for this as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
Snohomish County closed the Sultan Pit several years ago and at the time promised that they'd be opening up a "Shooting Park" just as soon as they completed a land swap with DNR. That was at least 4 years ago and they're still "playing with themselves" over the Shooting Park. It's now in the "Study Phase" and it's supposed to be opened first as an "Archery Range".

To be fair, there are still places one can shoot in the Sultan area if one knows where to look :peep:

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:40 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was up along Sultan Basin Rd a few weeks ago. The long-ish range spot that everyone and their grandma goes to was cleaned up, at least the parking area. People dump their trash and tires but it was all removed. However the path is ruined by 4 wheelers tearing the ground up. The other small-ish long range spot near Spada lake is still trashed though. The other spots I know of that are not along the roadside are still good and not trashed.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tinkham has biking trails that took over or something so we have to take out those jerks first.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Captain90s wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:

To be fair, there are still places one can shoot in the Sultan area if one knows where to look :peep:

And I sure wouldn't share that info with anyone you couldn't trust to pick up after themselves. I guarantee that within a week of putting out a location you'll start seeing an accumulation of all kinds of crap that's hauled in, shot up, and left behind.

And to be also be fair, not all the pigs come from Seattle. Some are "locals" that were too lazy to scout out the spots themselves.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
tinkham has biking trails that took over or something so we have to take out those jerks first.

Moving targets???? :bigsmile:

Been a long time since I've done any "Gallery Style Shooting".

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]