Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sweet Colt Officer Model bullseye conversion by Chet Paulson 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just picked up this really cool Colt Officer Model that has had a pile of custom work done to it by Chet Paulson.
The gun is a 1949 and my best guess is the work was done in the 70's.
The trigger has been tuned to about 1.5# and breaks like glass. The hammer spur was widened and offset to the left to allow easy one handed cocking. The sights have been replaced with 'micro' adjustable sights front and rear. A compensator was added and it wears a set of beautiful wood grips!

Anyone know anything about Chet Paulson other than he was a gunsmith in Tacoma? Or any guess on the manufacture of the grips?

Can't wait to get her out shoot it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

icon_eek :bow: :thumbsup2:

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I had to guess about the grips I would say they are Herrett stocks.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:47 pm

My father in law was really good friends with him and worked at Chet's shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DJ_Mack wrote:
My father in law was really good friends with him and worked at Chet's shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool! I was told that this may have been Chet's personal gun.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:33 pm

I have a holster if you are interested

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Chet Paulson Blackhawk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Yes, that's my Grandpa, Chet Paulson! My dad used to work in his shop and has a lot more info and lots of guns that he used to work on. He just went to the range with a competition gun he had made that hasn't been shot in ~40 years and had great results.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

noncompos wrote:
Yes, that's my Grandpa, Chet Paulson! My dad used to work in his shop and has a lot more info and lots of guns that he used to work on. He just went to the range with a competition gun he had made that hasn't been shot in ~40 years and had great results.

Welcome to WaGuns! :wavey:

Thanks for joining and chiming in!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like a pre-WWII Official Police with a new barrel and some very nice dovetailing of the frame to accommodate the new rear sight. Colt (unlike S&W) is nice enough to provide a serial lookup which works most of the time. https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup

Can't help with the grips, there were many firms making similar styles from the 50s through the 70s.

Seems you're missing the ejector rod head. Numrich, Jack First, or eBay are good spots to find a replacement.

Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:23 am

I am Chet Paulson's son. Dad died many years ago but had a very successful gun store "Chet Paulsons Guns" in Tacoma, WA for as long as most can remember. He was a master gunsmith and made many rifles and customized guns. He probably made the pistol grips on your pistol as I have several looking the same. He was a very competitive rifle and pistol shooter having held 5 master classifications NRA. He also developed the 30 Belted Newton cartridge and made several of these for long range competitors. If anyone wants more info on guns by Chet Paulson or his life with guns, please contact me at paulsonglenn97@gmail .com.

Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

paulsonglenn97 wrote:
I am Chet Paulson's son. Dad died many years ago but had a very successful gun store "Chet Paulsons Guns" in Tacoma, WA for as long as most can remember. He was a master gunsmith and made many rifles and customized guns. He probably made the pistol grips on your pistol as I have several looking the same. He was a very competitive rifle and pistol shooter having held 5 master classifications NRA. He also developed the 30 Belted Newton cartridge and made several of these for long range competitors. If anyone wants more info on guns by Chet Paulson or his life with guns, please contact me at paulsonglenn97@gmail .com.

Welcome! I spent a lot of time in your father's shop.......drooling.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:48 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

paulsonglenn97 wrote:

So cool to see your father's work living on in the hands of other shooters! Thanks so much for stopping in to tell us some more about his work!

Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

paulsonglenn97 wrote:

That's very cool, and I think we all appreciate you stepping in to educate us a little.

Some "old gun" collectors only want factory original pieces, but I really like ones with well done gunsmith work and/or quality aftermarket parts. The main issue with most of these built-up target revolvers is that they got shot a whole lot and some are mechanically tired. This one was definitely used a bunch but appears to have lots of life left.

Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any chance you could post a pic of Hammer? I have never seen a “offset” hammer and im curious about it.

Thank you

Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next