Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Disabled 

I have been trying to find out if there are any competitive shooting events that either have divisions or complete competitions for handicapped shooters. I have a lower leg injury that forces me to wear a brace from mid thigh all the way to the bottom of my foot. That means it is nearly impossible to kneel down without pain. I haven't been to a range in over 3 years because of the injury and I am finding that I am missing it more and more as time goes by. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bench Rest matches are held regularly at the Kenmore Range and they have several different classes. The "Factory Class" is great for someone who doesn't want to invest thousands in a rifle that just sits there and does all the work but "pinching" the trigger.

There are several people who show up with similar circumstances. I had a leg crushed many years ago and can't kneel. When I shoot prone I shoot for a long time in that position so I don't have to get up right away :) The Benches are designed with a lot of leg room so it may be of interest to you.

http://www.wcwinc.org/

Each range is fully handicap accessible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:30 am

NRA sanctioned competition generally accommodates disabled participants. For example, a person unable to kneel can instead fire standing (in other words, substitute the next more difficult position).

http://competitions.nra.org/news-and-ev ... vices.aspx

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd also add, look into local Speed Steel matches if you want something with a little more action and with handguns. Shoot from a standing position and mostly zero foot movement. Some matches may have a movement stage from one shooting position to a second shooting position, but rarely and will most likely give a time penalty instead of making disabled people move. At UNSC Speed Steel matches, we have a gentleman that is wheel chair bound and also some seniors that aren't very mobile, we work around it to make it as fun and fair as possible for everyone.

"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do for any fellow being, let me do it now ... as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]