Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:52 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 New shooters for this weekends Renton USPSA questions 

Hello!

My wife and I are wanting to give USPSA a go this weekend and have a few questions. We are newer to the move and shoot type stuff and competition. But not shooting in general.

1.) How long does an event usually take? As new shooters what time should we be there, and who should we find?
2.)How many rounds should we bring per person?
3.) How many rounds/mags per stage? Have a few different pistols we could use. but some are lower capacity, Or I only have 2 mags.
4.) membership? Cost? payment method?
5.) Anything we should do ahead of time, like register/pay etc...

Anything else we should know?

Thanks!

-Levi

Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

saber63 wrote:
Hello!

My wife and I are wanting to give USPSA a go this weekend and have a few questions. We are newer to the move and shoot type stuff and competition. But not shooting in general.

1.) How long does an event usually take? As new shooters what time should we be there, and who should we find?
2.)How many rounds should we bring per person?
3.) How many rounds/mags per stage? Have a few different pistols we could use. but some are lower capacity, Or I only have 2 mags.
4.) membership? Cost? payment method?
5.) Anything we should do ahead of time, like register/pay etc...

Anything else we should know?

Thanks!

-Levi

1) matches usually go from 10 am start time (registration open at 8:30 or so) to anywhere between 2-4 pm. As new shooters, you will need to get a safety check. It may be possible to do it match morning, but see the last point for more info.
2) varies per match (if you don't miss :bigsmile: ), but 250-300 should cover it easily.
3) depends on which division you are playing in. Limited and Open can use the entire mag, but production can only use 10/mag. If you are shooting production (which is a good place to start), you should bring 5-6 mags. one to start, and the others in mag carriers on your belt. I use 4 in limited.
4) you can join uspsa pretty cheap, but I don't think you have to join to try it out. cost is between 22 and 27 per match, cashola.
5) Start here: http://northwestsection.org/newshooter.html
Contact Dave McClure at matchdirector@westcoastarmory.com to see if you can schedule a safety check. He is also match directory for renton fish & game match.

Last edited by Duke EB on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duke EB wrote:
Contact Dave McClure at matchdirector@westcoastarmory.com to see if you can schedule a safety check. He is also match directory for renton fish & game match.

This is the most important - you need to get a Safety Check prior to going to a USPSA match.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Duke EB wrote:

This is the most important - you need to get a Safety Check prior to going to a USPSA match.

Agreed. I went to my first match hoping that a safety check could be done prior to the match, but nobody was able to do it. No shooting that day!

Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:57 pm

Thank you so much for the info!!!

I have been reading through the northwestsection.org new shooter section. And it was not clear that a safety check needed to be scheduled ahead of time.

I'll get that sorted out! maybe we will do that instead of the match on sunday. (My wife has a funky schedule, can make things difficult!)

Thanks guys.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duke EB wrote:
oldkim wrote:
Duke EB wrote:

Agreed. I went to my first match hoping that a safety check could be done prior to the match, but nobody was able to do it. No shooting that day!

Typically, for USPSA this is always the case.
Very few are lucky to time it right with the right folks to get this done before a match.

So a bit off topic but for those interested in IDPA (IPSC) one can do a safety check prior to a match (typically arrive early) it's most often set up for newer shooters (30-45 min before the match).

USPSA has more involved criteria besides just shooting demo because USPSA allows the shooter to engage the targets more freely... but this also means one can get into trouble depending on the sequence of engaging some targets as they are set up.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Along the lines of what oldKim said. IDPA is easier to get into than USPSA, with safety checks performed prior to just about every match. It also lets you get to know other shooters and see about setting up a safety check for USPSA.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:22 pm

I sent off an email as suggested. We're not in a hurry, this weekend was just the first USPSA coming up sense we decided to give it a go.

Major reason for USPSA is a timing thing. My wife works a late shift. So Saturday before noon can be tricky to do. Sundays are more doable. USPSA also looks more interesting and engaging.

We talked about doing an IPDA first, we'll see how Her schedule pans out. It might happen. How can I be sure a safety check will be available at the event? The same gentleman at west coast?

We might stop by regardless, to see how it all works, meet people, and maybe get a safety check scheduled.

I did see a "challenge" option in the USPSA safety check, would this be allowed before an event for people who have done IPSC and other events? or anyone?

Thanks!

-Levi

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave or surrogate might be able to safety check at wca on tuesday nights before tnpl. Shoot him an email

Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:46 am

quantsuff wrote:
Dave or surrogate might be able to safety check at wca on tuesday nights before tnpl. Shoot him an email

Wish we could, But Wife will be at work. 4pm-1am shifts seem to make everything painfull.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Renton and Marysville won't usually do safety checks the morning before the match. Dunno about Custer, but nobody drives up there. We do them before Paul Bunyan, tho', especially if you find me or one of the ROs hanging around.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:52 pm

Sorry i didn't get back to this sooner, work and stuff.

NickBlasta wrote:
Renton and Marysville won't usually do safety checks the morning before the match. Dunno about Custer, but nobody drives up there. We do them before Paul Bunyan, tho', especially if you find me or one of the ROs hanging around.

Awsome! I'm hoping we can make it out for the next one.(sep 11th?) I have not heard back from Dave McClure. So I guess we don't have much choice.

Thanks!

-Levi

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:25 pm

saber63 wrote:
Sorry i didn't get back to this sooner, work and stuff.

NickBlasta wrote:

Awsome! I'm hoping we can make it out for the next one.(sep 11th?) I have not heard back from Dave McClure. So I guess we don't have much choice.

Thanks!

-Levi

No problem. I don't think I'll be there for this match, but if you find Snope, Jacob Orchard, Charis, or any of the other ROs they will do it. Just show up before 9 and have a functioning understanding of the rules and the division you're going to enter in. (that helps)

We also do matches 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at PB that welcome new participants.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]