Switch to full style
USPSA / IDPA / SOTM / 3-Gun etc
Post a reply

Berry's Steel 2016

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:42 pm

I attended Berry's Steel Open 2016 in Southwest Utah! Berry's Steel is a multi-discipline outlaw steel match. This year it was 18 stages, combining 6 Steel Challenge stages, 6 Par Time Pro-Am style stages, and 6 Time-Plus format stages. Roundcount was around 500 but I shot about 750.

Previously known as 'the match where you shoot a lot of steel', it is now known as the match where you 'shoot a lot of steel and get your nuts crushed'. Nobody was expecting them to take last year, add more stages, and crank up the difficulty.

These jerks were everywhere:

2x4" rams, 2x3" chickens, 2" square targets, etc, all over, and at distance. They had two of those dixie cups against the berm at 18 yards on one par time stage, apparently nobody hit one. Pretty funny trap though.

I thought it was incredibly fun though as mentioned, challenging. Having an optic was a huge bonus, it seemed like many of the irons shooters were frustrated at the difficulty. I think an ability to go as close to 1 for 1 on the steel as possible would help though.

I managed 8th in my division (out of 62) and 80% of the national champ who took 1st so I was pretty pleased. My lack of interest in steel challenge definitely brought me down but I was consistently decent at the par time stages and gained ground on the time plus stages.

Here's the video if you wanna see.

Re: Berry's Steel 2016

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:12 am

Wow Nick, that was some really impressive shooting! thumbsup In particular, I noticed that you made anything with a moving steel target (Texas Star or similar) look pretty effortless.

And DAMN, that looked fun! That's a hell of a lot of steel; resetting each stage between shooters must have been a bitch. icon_eek

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:59 am

Sounded like some sweet, sweet music!

What was your overall round count? That seems like a lot of lead thrown down range!

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:08 am

I'm glad Dom didn't know about this! Looks like he woulda loved though

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:38 pm

MadPick wrote:Wow Nick, that was some really impressive shooting! thumbsup In particular, I noticed that you made anything with a moving steel target (Texas Star or similar) look pretty effortless.

And DAMN, that looked fun! That's a hell of a lot of steel; resetting each stage between shooters must have been a bitch. icon_eek

I shoot them so much that they don't bother me.

Massivedesign wrote:Sounded like some sweet, sweet music!

What was your overall round count? That seems like a lot of lead thrown down range!

The official round count was around 500, I shot around 750.
Post a reply