Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:42 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Berry's Steel 2016 

I attended Berry's Steel Open 2016 in Southwest Utah! Berry's Steel is a multi-discipline outlaw steel match. This year it was 18 stages, combining 6 Steel Challenge stages, 6 Par Time Pro-Am style stages, and 6 Time-Plus format stages. Roundcount was around 500 but I shot about 750.

Previously known as 'the match where you shoot a lot of steel', it is now known as the match where you 'shoot a lot of steel and get your nuts crushed'. Nobody was expecting them to take last year, add more stages, and crank up the difficulty.

These jerks were everywhere:

2x4" rams, 2x3" chickens, 2" square targets, etc, all over, and at distance. They had two of those dixie cups against the berm at 18 yards on one par time stage, apparently nobody hit one. Pretty funny trap though.

I thought it was incredibly fun though as mentioned, challenging. Having an optic was a huge bonus, it seemed like many of the irons shooters were frustrated at the difficulty. I think an ability to go as close to 1 for 1 on the steel as possible would help though.

I managed 8th in my division (out of 62) and 80% of the national champ who took 1st so I was pretty pleased. My lack of interest in steel challenge definitely brought me down but I was consistently decent at the par time stages and gained ground on the time plus stages.

Here's the video if you wanna see.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:42 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow Nick, that was some really impressive shooting! thumbsup In particular, I noticed that you made anything with a moving steel target (Texas Star or similar) look pretty effortless.

And DAMN, that looked fun! That's a hell of a lot of steel; resetting each stage between shooters must have been a bitch. icon_eek

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:12 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounded like some sweet, sweet music!

What was your overall round count? That seems like a lot of lead thrown down range!

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm glad Dom didn't know about this! Looks like he woulda loved though

"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do for any fellow being, let me do it now ... as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:08 am

MadPick wrote:
Wow Nick, that was some really impressive shooting! thumbsup In particular, I noticed that you made anything with a moving steel target (Texas Star or similar) look pretty effortless.

And DAMN, that looked fun! That's a hell of a lot of steel; resetting each stage between shooters must have been a bitch. icon_eek

I shoot them so much that they don't bother me.

Massivedesign wrote:
Sounded like some sweet, sweet music!

What was your overall round count? That seems like a lot of lead thrown down range!

The official round count was around 500, I shot around 750.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]