Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:06 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Action Shooting International match at Renton F&G 

Anyone know anything about this match? I wouldn't mind going but I can't find any details on their site.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do you want to know?

I can probably answer most questions and/or put you in contact with someone that does have the answers.

https://www.RisingSunTraining.com
https://www.facebook.com/RisingSunTraining
https://www.instagram.com/rising_sun_training/
"Always be involved To Learn, To Teach, and To Share, what you are passionate about."

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sandy (he runs it) is a good dude! You'll have fun!

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends...

If you shoot IDPA/USPSA (aka IPSC) then it may not be for you... unless you are starting out...

These shoots are "in-between" from nothing... just practicing on your own to a FULL IDPA/USPSA match - competition.

The stages and rules are the same... the intent is to get the shooter ready and comfortable with shooting the course but also shooting a match (course layout) and unlike other matches I understand you can shoot that particular course over again if you want to practice it more.

Please note: I have not done these. I just remember talking to Sandy when he was setting these up.

Well, shoot... don't listen to me.

Quote:

About ASI

Do you keep a gun around for self-defense?

Here at Action Shooting International, LLC, we’re focused on giving you a chance to practice in a way that’s fun, and builds social connections with other gun owners.

We’ve put together a series of simple, self-defense-oriented courses — along with a scoring system that promotes a relaxed, friendly attitude (like a bowling league). ASI shoots are competitions, but we’re more concerned about having fun and learning something along the way than fighting for every point.

Each shooting problem you’ll face (called a “stage”) focuses on a particular experience or skill — such as reloading, shooting around an obstacle, or shooting while moving.

The challenges you face will be “doable” for average gun owners, and are particularly suited to people with concealed carry permits. The stages will repeat over the course of the year, giving you a chance to track your improvement.

What Gear Do I Need?

You need a safe handgun that shoots a 9mm or larger bullet (.380 ACP is welcome) and a spare magazine or speed loader.

You’ll also need a case of some sort to carry the gun in when you’re not shooting.

IR003 Alley Madness
Shooter’s-eye view of “Alley Madness” one of ASI’s standard courses.

How About Holsters?

Holsters are optional. Shooters who’ve been cleared to use a holster by the host range can start with a loaded gun in the holster, but most shooters start each stage with their pistol on a table, on the ground, or other position specified in the stage briefing.

ASI’s founders all have 20+year backgrounds in semi-pro practical shooting competition. That’s an intense, high-skill world that’s ill-suited to the “average gun owner.” We’ve brought the match production and safety processes learned there into ASI, but reduced the intensity and technical demands, resulting in a casual sport which we’re sure you will love.

For more details, contact us directly (“contact” tab on the home page) and we’ll connect you with a range in your area. Currently most of our affiliated events are focused in the Pacific Northwest, but that’s changing as we grow.

Come join us! We’re having a great time!

http://asi-usa.org/

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:19 pm

dmonwai wrote:
What do you want to know?

I can probably answer most questions and/or put you in contact with someone that does have the answers.

I just wanted to make sure I knew what kind of equipment to bring as well as what time, how many $, and about how much ammo is needed.

oldkim wrote:
Depends...

If you shoot IDPA/USPSA (aka IPSC) then it may not be for you... unless you are starting out...

These shoots are "in-between" from nothing... just practicing on your own to a FULL IDPA/USPSA match - competition.

The stages and rules are the same... the intent is to get the shooter ready and comfortable with shooting the course but also shooting a match (course layout) and unlike other matches I understand you can shoot that particular course over again if you want to practice it more.

I've shot IDPA and steel a few times, but definitely a beginner. Sounds like just what I need for practice!

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:48 pm

I shot this match today, sort of like IDPA but fewer rules and no drawing from a holster. There were 4 stages for score and 3 more for fun. Definitely a good place to start if you want to introduce a spouse or newer shooter to action pistol without the frustration of a lot of rules.

Next one is March 12th, starts at 10am with new shooter orient ion at 9am. $20 to shoot, about 100 rounds and 3 hours...

Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good report!

For those that have never shot this or IDPA/USPSA...

The greatest thing I can tell you is go with an open mind. Go slow and let the more experienced shooters help you.
One of the biggest things I remember is how folks wanted to help me shooter better and faster.

Teaching their lessons learned and "passing the torch" (if you are receptive).
You can go with a chip on your shoulder or you can be humble and learn.

Where else can you get a lesson from maybe someone that has been doing it for decades... and/or "expert" or "grandmaster" level shooters (for almost FREE).

Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sreyemj wrote:
I shot this match today, sort of like IDPA but fewer rules and no drawing from a holster. There were 4 stages for score and 3 more for fun. Definitely a good place to start if you want to introduce a spouse or newer shooter to action pistol without the frustration of a lot of rules.

Next one is March 12th, starts at 10am with new shooter orient ion at 9am. $20 to shoot, about 100 rounds and 3 hours...

Nice! Glad you made it out there! :thumbsup2:

https://www.RisingSunTraining.com
https://www.facebook.com/RisingSunTraining
https://www.instagram.com/rising_sun_training/
"Always be involved To Learn, To Teach, and To Share, what you are passionate about."

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sreyemj wrote:

I wanted to go to this but my danged foot. Hope to be up on it for the March shoot.

Been in contact with Robin at ASI and introduced it to the board at MRC in hopes it might start up there.

No holster draws? Are they prohibited? Do you start from a low ready position?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:05 am

jukk0u wrote:
sreyemj wrote:

I wanted to go to this but my danged foot. Hope to be up on it for the March shoot.

Been in contact with Robin at ASI and introduced it to the board at MRC in hopes it might start up there.

No holster draws? Are they prohibited? Do you start from a low ready position?

This one was 3 starts with the gun on a barrel and one low ready. Usually there is a scenario that requires you to do something and then pick up the gun (like throw a shoe, drop a briefcase). You can do it without much movement so you could probably do it with a gimp foot.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:08 am

ASI is suitable for someone rehabbing an injury. Running is prohibited, in fact. I shot once weak hand only due to a wrist injury. My buddy had shot several times leading up to, recovering from, knee surgery.

I believe the start positions are all holster-less so newbies don't feel like their equipment is lacking. The entire experience is meant to welcome someone who's inexperienced handling his or her weapon so they want to come back.

To shoot a second match joining ASI is required, but it's cheap. $25/year I think.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]