Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:10 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Shoot on the Move (SOTM), Shooting Like the Good Old Days 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those interested in shooting on the move, using one's holster and just having fun near the Seattle area (Renton, WA).

Please note I have an informational website now. Please visit it at http://www.shootonthemove.org

I am a NRA Certified Instructor and NRA Range Safety Officer that conduct organized practice shoots for those that have a Concealed Pistol License holders or those that are interested in the competition sections of pistol shooting. IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Assocation) or USPSA (United States Practical Shooting Association or aka IPSC). This means either you carry for self defense or you have a firearm you are wanting to do something a bit more with (or both).

http://www.idpa.com
http://www.uspsa.com

I hold practice events at Renton Fish and Game Club (RFGC) in the Renton Highlands.

http://www.rfgc.org

These events are offered as a "bridge" to those that are newer to shooting to those more experienced but have not explored shooting on the move. I called these shoots "Shooting Like the Good Old Days" since I remember going as a youngster to a dirt pit and blasting away with my brother. Although you can still go out to those far far places I find the drive to daunting and far. What I have set up here at Renton Fish and Game Club, which is about 30 minutes East from Seattle, is to use the "Action Bays" to teach and develop beginning to advanced pistol shooting techniques and to further the action sports of pistol shooting.

The events are centered around a core group of Safety Officers (SO) that volunteer their time and expertise. I have now incorporated IDPA SO's and their expertise in shooting the competition aspects. Again, these events are for practice, low stress and high fun factor. No prizes or awards but simple bragging rights and good memories.

I only hold a few of these every few month but I am working on getting them more frequently.

The first step to getting further information is to contact me so I can add you to my email list.

Please send me your email, full name, contact number and a brief history of your shooting experience (what classes or what you shot or how much you have been shooting).

Ammo
I recommend having at least 300 rounds (6 boxes) of ammo if not more. Yes, start stocking up when you can. Plan on shooting it all as the shoots goes pretty quickly. You control how much and how fast you shoot so ultimately it all depends on you.

Holster
A good holster is needed, please keep in mind cross draw, shoulder holsters or small of back are not allowed. We stress safety first so the muzzle control becomes the issue regarding these holsters. Muzzle needs to be pointed down or relatively down.

Safety First
Please know that above all else safety is key. We do stress safety first and then fun a close second. Muzzle control, Finger on Trigger and treating all guns as though it was loaded. The range is a COLD Range: which means that all holstered firearms will have the magazine removed and go through a clearing safety check to ensure the chamber is empty. So, no magazine or loaded guns unless you are shooting.

Shooting on the move
For those that have been shooting at a regular range, shooting on the move is exponentially more fun and difficult. Learning to shoot on the move is like relearning how to shoot all over again. Do know we take babysteps to develop these skills so you'll be in very good hands.

NEXT SHOOT: TBA

Please do visit the website for more information. There is a calendar feature that will list many available organized shoots around the greater Seattle area.

http://www.shootonthemove.org/calendar

Young Kim, NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Life Member
RFGC Member and volunteer safety officer
IDPA Member

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Young and everyone else involved in todays shoot. You guys are great and I know I learned alot today.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always looking at adding things... to make it interesting.

Thought is to add a hands on portion of "how to..." assemble and take apart a.... AR, AK, 1911, etc. and shoot it a few rounds through it.

I'll see what the members can donate... basically, I would set it up as a timed event. Meaning you have 15 minute slots. Folks can watch but this way we can keep it moving. 1:1 instruction on how the firearm works, basic disassembly and assembly of the firearm and shoot a few rounds through it so folks can get some exposure to common and uncommon firearms.

I'll keep on thinking how to do the logistics... :ymparty:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]