Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:18 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 IDPA at Renton Fish & Game Saturday the 20th 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just started last October at Damon's prompting. I went out bought a IWB holster and stuck magazines in my pocket for the first time. I just watched the other guys and had fun.

OWB holsters are fine, just need a garment to cover it.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rampage wrote:
Great! We're in 9-120 in Development Center. Today is my 9X80 off so doing research at home. We have about 8 Boeing people, and 1 non-Boeing. It will have to be on a Saturday. Some of these folks don't even have holster for their pistol. Let me give you the general run down of this group:
Me: I have many pistols with OWB holsters (Serpa, I know... very dangerous...yadi yadi yada) and magazines holder.
4 or 5 guys who have pistols but no holsters and no magazine holder.
1 guy never owned any weapon and is looking to buy a Glock 19 G4, but waiting for a good deal. Wants to borrow one of my pistol in the mean time.
1 guy just told me he want to buy a pistol for the first time (his wife is kinda anti gun so I told him to plant the seed first before buying one).
There might be 2 or 3 more folks that are not in my group who might be interested. But there are some office politics in play which if this guy come then another guy won't come.
So this is the status of my ragtag squad.

Cool! We have quite a few guys from Boeing here on WaGuns. I fix the printers, so I travel from plant to plant, building to building. I'm part of a team that covers the South Sound Buildings and Plants, we have another team that covers the North Sound.

I can do a class for all you guys, I can take up to 12 people in a class. I did several last summer and a few earlier this spring. I'm a Certified IDPA Safety Officer, NRA Certified Range Safety Officer and NRA Certified Pistol Instructor. I'm also a Instructor at Norpoint Range/Training Center in Arlington.

https://www.RisingSunTraining.com
https://www.facebook.com/RisingSunTraining
https://www.instagram.com/rising_sun_training/
"Always be involved To Learn, To Teach, and To Share, what you are passionate about."

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:47 pm
Profile WWW

Hey Damon, I've sent you a PM. I was at RFG for the intro class and left afterward for I was not feeling well.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Decided to go last minute, real large group today!

I had a sloppy day and having my FO sight break mid day didn't help either.

A big thanks to a ROs'/SOs' in group 5!

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damon, was the ND in bay 6 on your squad? Can you share any observations/lessons learned?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkw84 wrote:
Decided to go last minute, real large group today!

I had a sloppy day and having my FO sight break mid day didn't help either.

A big thanks to a ROs'/SOs' in group 5!

Glad you made it out!!

I think there was 96 or 97 shooters. Its getting pretty normal to have 90-100 show up now.

BTW, the match usually goes much quicker. There were several problems at several stages that really slowed the match down. We usually get done by 2-PM, even with 100 shooters showing up.

quantsuff wrote:
Damon, was the ND in bay 6 on your squad? Can you share any observations/lessons learned?

Yes, the ND was on my squad.

The lesson to be learned is ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard except when engaging targets.

This Stage required a Tactical Reload after you engaged some targets and BEFORE you moved to the next shooting position. This person did the Tactical Reload and right after the mag was seated the gun went bang! This was not a slam fire from the slide being released because the slide was already forward with a round in the chamber. The SO was just about to give the "Finger" warning when the gun went off. The shooter was standing behind some stacked blue barrels and you could see the .45 caliber hole right there in front of the shooter.

This shooter is a VERY experienced shooter. Has shot in hundreds of matches and not just here but in several other states around the country. By luck or by experience, the muzzle was pointed at the berm when the shot went off.

Don't get complacent with gun safety. Its very easy to do for those that handle guns all the time.

"Always be involved To Learn, To Teach, and To Share, what you are passionate about."

Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the follow up. I confirm we are usually out of there by two.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Good info share Damon, and a good reminder for us all

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:46 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

So what happens with an ND like that, does the shooter get a DQ? Can he still shoot next match?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:15 pm
Profile WWW

I was in the next [waiting] squad and watching from the right side of the shooter and it looked to me like the ND occurred when the mag was being removed from the gun (for retention). Some people adjust their grip in order to reach the mag release with their thumb and I think the forefinger ended up in the wrong spot.

I suppose the details aren't important, but we can never be complacent when it comes to safety.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ND can happen to anybody! That is why the muzzle always needs to be pointed down range, so if it does happen, the only victim will be the underpants of those involved! :ROFLMAO:

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
So what happens with an ND like that, does the shooter get a DQ? Can he still shoot next match?

Its kinda a grey area... In this case its up to the SO that was running the shooter and then the Match Director.

The Rule Book says if the ND was while holstering or if the round hits up range/behind the Firing Line or hits the ground within 2 yards in front of the Firing Line or goes over the berm, its a DQ. It doesn't say anything about if the round hits the berm downrange.

But shooters can also be DQ'ed for "Dangerous or repeated “finger in trigger guard” violations during loading, unloading, reloading, drawing, holstering, remedial action." The SO saw the shooters finger in the trigger guard during the reload. I would say that's a "Dangerous finger in the trigger guard" situation, especially when it cause a ND.

The shooter didn't protest the DQ at all. They knew their finger was in the trigger guard and caused the ND.

After a DQ a shooter is not allowed to shoot anymore for the day. At RFGC that also means no more shooting anywhere at RFGC for the day. No Pistol or Rifle range and no Skeet or Trap. The shooter is welcome to stay and watch and/or help but can not shoot anymore. Its just a one day thing, the shooter is welcome back at the next match.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2