Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:03 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 New Washington 3-gun at Paul Bunyan 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was really excited about it, but then I realised it's in June. While that's enough time to get prepped for it, I still have some questions. Is there anything available that would help prepare for it? I'm still having issues settling into a shooting club that has more than 25 yds for rifle so I can practice paper shooting, much less practice for a competition. With all the tightness of supply lines now, how feasible is it going to be for those wanting to get started?

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think its great that a new 3-gun match is starting!! We "the competition shooting community" need a 3-gun match closer then Custer.

Its just that there are several sponsored, local shooters that not Pro level shooters that would probably want to participate in this match. They are just regular guys that went the extra effort to get some sponsors not some Pro, full time shooter that makes their living shooting matches. These guys still work full time jobs like everyone else.

https://www.RisingSunTraining.com
https://www.facebook.com/RisingSunTraining
https://www.instagram.com/rising_sun_training/
"Always be involved To Learn, To Teach, and To Share, what you are passionate about."

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm
Profile WWW

dmonwai wrote:
I think its great that a new 3-gun match is starting!! We "the competition shooting community" need a 3-gun match closer then Custer.

Its just that there are several sponsored, local shooters that not Pro level shooters that would probably want to participate in this match. They are just regular guys that went the extra effort to get some sponsors not some Pro, full time shooter that makes their living shooting matches. These guys still work full time jobs like everyone else.

Exactly my point Damon. I could understand stating this is an amateur only event, professionals can only compete for place and not prizes.

steble01 wrote:

Dont shoot the messenger here, but this type of event IS infact being pulled off. If you have any questions, please call the OP and I am sure he will get you squared away. He is an easy guy to talk to. Seriously guys, this is just another option for people to get into competitive shootin, no one is forcing you to go. Lets not start thread bashing here.

Please do not take my comments as thread bashing, not at all intended. I'm just questioning from a point of view. I am not a sponsored shooter, but participate at local events where there are a number or sponsored shooters. Some of them I know well and consider good friends such as some whom have already posted their views as well.
Good luck to the organizers, I hope they pull it off. I personally will not enter based on the grounds that my friends can not enter because they are sponsored, though they are not professionals. That in my view is unfair in the sense of what is the point of competition if not to drive yourself to a higher level.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

boxerglocker wrote:
Please do not take my comments as thread bashing, not at all intended. I'm just questioning from a point of view. I am not a sponsored shooter, but participate at local events where there are a number or sponsored shooters. Some of them I know well and consider good friends such as some whom have already posted their views as well.
Good luck to the organizers, I hope they pull it off. I personally will not enter based on the grounds that my friends can not enter because they are sponsored, though they are not professionals. That in my view is unfair in the sense of what is the point of competition if not to drive yourself to a higher level.

My point is, that you dont need to wish them luck in pulling it off. Its going to happen whether you agree with it or not. This is an informational thread posted by the OP about a upcoming event, to invite people who want to go out and play. If you choose not to participate, that is fine. I dont think this thread is the proper place to "question from your point of view" and debate the rules that he has set forth. It puts a negative vibe on the whole thing. If you wish to air your concerns, please call the OP and have a chat with him. He can then take your ideas into consideration and decide to adjust his plans from there. thumbsup

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

steble01 wrote:
This is an informational thread posted by the OP about a upcoming event, to invite people who want to go out and play.

Steve is right, I was a little too close to the issue so I didn't see it.

We can start a new thread discussing matches allowing/disallowing sponsored shooters. I'm locking this thread unless the OP has anything he wants in this thread.

Thanks Guys!! :cheers2:

"Always be involved To Learn, To Teach, and To Share, what you are passionate about."

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:42 pm
Profile WWW

Dear WA 3Gunners;

I mis-spoke about the sponsored shooter issue. I was meaning travelling professionals, like big name competitors, etc, and did not communicate this properly. I did not intend to included sponsored shooters in that general defintion. The rule for admission will be:

Any Washington resident, sposored or not, 21 years of age or over, will be admitted on a first come first serve basis, by email registration. Sixteen shooters per division, the next four over the 16 limit will be registered as alternates if they accept that offer. So, 20 shooters per division. There will be 7 divisions as listed previously.

Please specify full name, phone number, and division. Please note, $50 entry fee in cash will be required on registration at the 8am checkin on June 28, 2013. You will be required to sign disclaimer and hold-harmless agreements for Paul Bunyan and WA3Gun, LLC before your registration will be complete and you are issued your shooter number and badge.

Matt- WA3Gun, LLC

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cool. Thank you for the clarification, Matt!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Thanks all for the input, sometimes these events needs clarification. That's why I chose to do this announcement through Waguns for an open discussion and clarification if necessary. This matter can now be considered closed, and we can move forward with making this awesome opportunity the beginning of 3gun expansion in the NW. After all the dissapointing trials and far away locations, this event marks the beginning of our working together for the sport we love. There is a reason 3Gun Nation, Paul Bunyan, and our sponsors like Sportsman's Warehouse, etc, have accpeted this trial under our system, it's going to make 3gun grow from the ground up and take over the shooting sports in our generation.

While PB will be first on June 28 and 29th, if you have a club interest, and would like a presentation for a tournament at your location after that date, call me direct. 253-250-2566.

Matt Richardson
President
WA3Gun, LLC

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Matt for all your hard work to make this happen! I hope its very successful!!

I doubt if I can make the June match but I hope to make a future match!! :cheers2:

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:04 pm
Profile WWW

This is the proposed stage set for the WA3Gun Innaugural Tournament at Paul Bunyan for those of you who are curious and want to train. The divisions have already been posted, so this dual stage layout gives you all something to chew on and prepare for. You will be engaging 5 inch cubes, or "marks" at the ranges listed below.

Stage A and B layouts are the same, head to head matches, 16 shooters per divison in double elimination. This means 100 rounds minimum (two matches), and 300 rounds maximum to win the whole tournament (6 matches). You only get 20 rounds of rifle, 20 pistol, and 10 buck shot shells per round to engage the same number of targets. So multiple shots on the same "mark" will hurt you. All that matters is time and hit%. Good luck! Matt-Wa3Gun

Rifle
5 at 200yds
5 at 150y
5 at 100y
5 at 50y

Pistol
5 at 40y
5 at 30y
10 at 20y

Shotgun
5 at 20y
5 at 30y

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:46 pm

WA3Gun wrote:
Thanks all for the input, sometimes these events needs clarification. That's why I chose to do this announcement through Waguns for an open discussion and clarification if necessary. This matter can now be considered closed, and we can move forward with making this awesome opportunity the beginning of 3gun expansion in the NW. After all the dissapointing trials and far away locations, this event marks the beginning of our working together for the sport we love. There is a reason 3Gun Nation, Paul Bunyan, and our sponsors like Sportsman's Warehouse, etc, have accpeted this trial under our system, it's going to make 3gun grow from the ground up and take over the shooting sports in our generation.

While PB will be first on June 28 and 29th, if you have a club interest, and would like a presentation for a tournament at your location after that date, call me direct. 253-250-2566.

Matt Richardson
President
WA3Gun, LLC

Bravo Sir for your clarification on the entry requirements.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:12 pm

are there any other events scheduled, I will not be able to make it in june

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:19 am

Dear Fellow Gunners;
If you know of a club that might want to make a lot of money hosting a 3gun tournament under the Pict System debuting at Paul Bunyan, please give me a call. We are sanctioned and will be participating in the 3gun nation club series. These rules are a little different to accommodate clubs all over the NW, using a hit/miss scoring system that everyone wants (without the iron plates), so call if you'd like a presentation scheduled.
Matt
Pres-WA3Gun

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:11 am

Just a heads up- I checked the paul bunyan calendar on line & it doesn't show your event. You may want to get it listed in order to deconflict other scheduled events.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi 3gunners;
As promised, here are the approved rules by the committee for the Paul Bunyan 3Gun Tournament on June 28-29, 2013. Procedures for registration are posted on this thread as well. Division 1 and 2 are about 30%, so try to get registered soon. This will be the biggest 3gun tourney in Washington, and with $3,000 in prizes from tactical Tailor for top three placers,there's no reason why you should miss it. Other prizes TBA. Western Shooting Journal feature artice on WA3Gun and the PB tourney in the coming in their March issue.
All the best, and I'll see you down range,
Matt
Pres/WA3Gun

Washington 3Gun Association, LLC
Official Rules and Guidelines for the Paul Bunyan 3Gun Tournament
June 28-29, 2013
Copyright © WA3Gun, LLC - 2012

Safety

The main focus of Washington 3 Gun Association is the proper and safe operation of firearms, on and off the range. Time and accuracy on stage is second to safety. Our safety rule is simple; Violate a safety rule and you are disqualified from any further participation in the match. In addition, the host club may ban you from future access to their club or entry in our future tournaments hosted at their club. The Four Rules of Firearm Safety are mandatory.

Washington 3-Gun Matches

The WA3Gun Association is dedicated to the advancement of 3Gun competitions and training at the club level. We do not focus on military, police, obstacle, or endurance-type courses. Shooters with physical impairments will be accommodated whenever possible. For example, a shooter with a bad knee might be allowed to take a shot standing rather than kneeling. Shooters will find that speed, consistency and accuracy count equally towards a high score without any confusing scoring systems or random time-plus penalties. All that’s going to matter is time, accuracy percentage, and the rules. Expensive or elaborate equipment is not required, expected, or necessary for successful participation in this match. It is the shooters sole responsibility to insure that their firearms (and other equipment) are safe and serviceable, and that the shooter is practiced and familiar with their equipment. Your division specific firearms and equipment will be subject to inspection upon registration, stage-set, or upon the request of designated match staff.

Match Officials – Duties and Authority

1. Marshal (overall authority, final judge, and representative of the Board of Directors)
2. Deputy Marshal (second in authority, consulting judge, designated inspector, chief R.O.)
3. Scorekeeper (official score keeper, registration, and poster of tournament results)
4. Deputy Scorekeeper (tallies scores & times from the judges & timekeepers, starter)
5. Timekeeper 1 (keeps time for Stage A)
6. Timekeeper 2 (keeps time for Stage B)
7. Judge 1 (judges hits for Stage A)
8. Judge 2 (judges hits for Stage B)
9. Range Officer 1 (checks weapon actions, mags, ammo, positions, and safety for Stage A
10. Range Officer 2 (same as above for Stage B)
11. Sergeant at Arms (Over all range and competitor safety, security, compliance, alt. R.O.)

Range Officers Role:

a) Safety Officers are the people whose purpose and goal is for all the shooters at the match to have a safe and enjoyable day at the range by directing the shooter through the course of fire.

b) Focus on the shooter’s firing hand and gun.

c) Remember that the shooter is always given the benefit of any doubt.

d) Run contestants through a course of fire safely and smoothly so that the shooter may enjoy the shooting experience.

e) Treat the shooter with courtesy and respect.

f) Answer all questions the shooters have.

g) Communicate the details of the match and rules.

h) Define all muzzle safe points as outlined by the Marshal and the Range.

i) RO’s should generally stand about three (3) feet to the side and three (3) feet to the rear of the shooter on the gun hand side of the shooter. The range officer must be aware of his position as the competitor moves from position to position.

j) RO’s should make sure they stay with the shooter, but not in the shooter’s way.

Ammunition

a) Rifle and Pistol - No tracer, hollow-point, incendiary, or armor piercing incendiary (API) ammunition may be used at any time.

b) Shotgun – Only 00, 0, BB, or 1 shot is allowed. Chambering in 2-3/4, 3, and 3-1/2 inch shells for 12ga (or 20ga in Div. One) is permitted. It is helpful for the shooter to keep a small supply of permitted shot and rifled slugs available for more specialized shotgun stages.

c) Handguns: Semiautomatic and revolver type handguns may be used. If the handgun has a user-actuated safety (many semi auto’s do, most revolvers don't), it must be in good working order.

d) Many handgun stages require the shooter to draw from a holster. As a general rule all holsters will be strong side and “vertical” (including “FBI” cant) in orientation. Cross draw holsters and shoulder holsters are prohibited! Holsters that are ill-fitting or without an adequate mechanism to retain the weapon while the shooter is moving may not be used. Magazine carriers may be worn on belt, thigh pouch or vest. The final decision as to the adequacy of any holster resides with the Marshal, Deputy Marshal, or Range Officers. Where holsters are not required, as in preset firing tables, holsters may be worn but will not being used while firing. Off line, you may re-holster your pistol and must empty and make-safe with open breaches your rifle and shotgun. Extra firearms not checked in as your designated and declared three guns of choice for the competition, are not allowed. Be sure you choose your 3 guns well.

e) Magazine and clips: Unloaded spare magazines or clips must be carried on the gun or your person, or in your bags. You are responsible for lost or stolen items. As outlined below, the optics allowed are defined as those powered by battery, external or internal power source, or solar power (e.g., Trijicon, etc.) Once checked and registered, they may not be removed or changed out during the match. Flip-down sights, battle sights, iron sights, adjustable ranging sights, and side-folding sights are NOT considered optics. Magnifiers are considered optics and may not be used in conjunction with other optics in Divisions One, Three, Five, or otherwise designated alternate divisions or matches. Divisions Two, Four, and Six, are unlimited regarding optics and equipment.

f) Other Equipment: The use of knee or elbow pads, vests, chest rigs, etc. is allowed. The use of Eye and Ear protection is mandatory, but shall not be question as to style, choice, or shooter comfort.

Shooter Responsibilities:

a) The shooter is responsible for understanding the requirements of a particular course of fire before coming to the firing line to begin his/her run. Prior to the beginning of each Multi-Gun/Tactical stage, the Marshal or designate (with the assistance of any stage designers) will conduct a course walk-through of each stage. Shooters are offered the opportunity to see the course, starting point, path of transition from Rifle to Pistol to Shotgun firing positions, finish line, and de-staging area while the judges and scorers compile time and accuracy for the record. Once recorded, the Marshal or designate will prompt you from the de-staging area to collect and make safe your firearms under the supervision of your stage range officer.

b) Shooters are usually given the opportunity to move about to plan and consider their run. However some stages are designed to present novel/surprise situations for the shooter to handle in real time in which case such a walk through may be prohibited. At the time a shooter moves to the line to begin a run, he/she is assumed to understand and be prepared for the course of fire.

Deputy Marshal and/or Range Officer Commands

The Deputy Marshal, or the two Range Officers (for serious malfunction, 180 break, or other violation, etc.), or the judges (in observing any CoF danger) are the only staff authorized to call STOP and make the range hot or cold. They will use the following commands to start the run, or end the run:

1) Range is HOT, or the Range is COLD. Once a run has begun, the only authorized staff to call “STOP- Cease Fire! The Range is COLD” can only be called by the ROs or the Deputy Marshal. In that case, the range will go cold, the issue will be resolved, the stage will be reset, DQs will be assessed and executed, and the match will resume with the original shooters, or the required alternates, from Zero-point (from the beginning as a do-over).

This HOT signal is used after the Stage A and B range officers assure themselves in conjunction with the Deputy Marshal and Judges that there are no people downrange from the shooter. The Range going hot command signals people behind the line that firing is about to commence and that appropriate eye and hearing protection must be worn.

2) Make Ready. On this command, the shooter will face downrange (regardless of the starting position), fit ear protectors, safety glasses, load/check their weapon(s), and make it/them ready (e.g., insure the safety(s) are on if applicable). The shooter then takes up the specified starting position for the stage. All shooters will begin each stage with their weapon's safety on.

3) Shooter ready? If the shooter is not ready at this command, he/she should say not ready. If you are not ready, you will say “not Ready” loud enough for the RO to hear your through hearing protection. If you are ready, say “Ready” loud enough to be heard through hearing protection. You may choose to nod or remain silent. Either way, the Deputy Marshal will determine you ARE ready and proceed to standby.

4) Standby! This is the shooter's alert that the start signal will follow shortly. Most stages are begun with the RO causing an audible beep to be sounded from the timer. The starting procedure will be clearly explained if a different starting technique applies (such as the shooter beginning fire after a second beep or when a target begins moving).

5) HORN or BEEP! At the designated start signal, the shooter is expected to begin and complete the course of fire in accordance with the specified description. It is the shooter's responsibility to determine when his/her run is done. But remember- you will time out at 100 seconds (1minute and 40 seconds). The ROs follow their shooters, judges watch the range and targets, and the Deputy Marshal watches all. Once the shooter moves to a new position it is implied that they are through with the previous one and going back is not allowed. Once the run is complete, provided there were no DQs or Cease Fires, the timekeepers capture their respective shooters time across the finish line and the shooters take their place in the de-staging box.

6) Unload (or) Show Clear! On this command, the Deputy Marshal directs the ROs to confirm the actions of the firearms on the firing line are open and clear. Upon their confirmation, the Deputy Marshal calls the Range is COLD!

(Shooters- in order to avoid DQ, you will need to obey the following guidelines for your firearms when moving from position to position on the firing line - When your firing is complete, point each firearm in a safe downrange direction, remove magazine, eject any chambered round, lock bolt back, inspect chamber, and place the weapon down on the table with the muzzle pointing downrange.)

7) Range is Clear! This command signals that the judges can move downrange to score, reset targets, and call in hits.

Other orders- “STOP! Cease Fire! The range is cold!” Usually indicates that an emergency or other, unusual/unsafe situation has occurred. When the shooter hears this command he/she immediately stops the run, holds position with barrel pointed down range and awaits specific instructions from the Deputy Marshal. The shooter is not moving, is still, and will remove their finger from the trigger.

Competition Rules

1. General Conduct & Dispute Resolution

a) Eye protection is mandatory for participants, spectators & officials at the event site.

b) Ear protection is mandatory for participants, spectators & officials while on or near a stage.

c) No participants or spectators shall consume or be under the influence of alcohol or non-prescription drugs at the event site. Any participant found to be impaired in any way, by the determination of the Marshal, and with the assistance of the Sergeant at Arms, will be requested to leave the range.

d) Participants and spectators are expected to conduct themselves in a courteous and sportsman-like manner at all times. Any person who violates this rule may be ejected from the event site at the Marshal’s discretion.

e) Clothing with any offensive or obscene logos, sayings, pictures or drawings will not be worn or displayed while at the event site. Staff will request a change of clothing or covering of the offensive display before removal from the match.

2. Disqualification

a) Participants may be subject to event disqualification for safety or conduct violations. Disqualification will result in complete disqualification from the event, and the participant will not be allowed to continue. Match fees will be forfeited in the event of a disqualification.

b) A participant shall be disqualified for unsportsmanlike conduct.

c) Altering the configuration of firearms or equipment without permission of the Match Director.

d) Threatening or assaulting other participants or Event Officials.
e) Disruptive behavior likely to disturb, distract or coach other participants while they are shooting.

f) Cheating, such as: Intentionally altering a target prior to the target being scored- to gain advantage or avoid a penalty- or altering or falsifying score sheets.

g) Willful disregard of Event Officials, their instructions, or impeding staff in the performance of their duties will also be grounds for removal.

h) The final decision on all disqualifications and reshoots will be made by the Marshal.

i) Any rule not explicitly covered by this document will be resolved with a ruling by the Marshal in consultation with the Deputy Marshal, or by their named designee.

j) Rulings by the Match Director or his designee will be final, and will serve as a precedent for the duration of the event.

k) Safety violations are decided by the Marshal and Deputy Marshal and are not subject to arbitration.

3. Safety

a) Participant’s firearms will remain unloaded at the event site except under the direction and immediate supervision of an Event Official (an RO, Marshal or Deputy Marshal) only.

b) Firearms may only be handled and/or displayed in a designated safety area. YOUR VEHICLE IS NOT A SAFE AREA.

c) Safety areas will be clearly marked with signs.

d) No firearm may be loaded in a safety area.

e) No ammunition (including dummy ammunition or snap caps) may be handled in a safety area.

f) Firearms may be transported (always unloaded) to, from, and between stages only in the following conditions:

g) Handguns must be cased or holstered, de-cocked (hammer down) on an empty chamber and with the magazine removed.

h) Rifles and shotguns must be cased, secured muzzle up or muzzle down in a stable gun cart/caddy, or carried slung with the muzzle up. Actions must be open and detachable magazines removed. The use of high-visibility open bolt indicator "Chamber Flag" is required of rifles & shotguns.

4. Discharges

A match participant who causes a negligent or accidental discharge will be stopped by an Event Official as soon as possible, and will be disqualified. Examples of negligent / accidental discharges include but are not limited to:

a) A shot, which travels over a backstop, a berm or in any other direction deemed by Event Officials to be unsafe & the shooter, will be disqualified. Note that a shooter who legitimately fires a shot at a target & then travels in an unsafe direction, will not be disqualified (i.e. ricochet off target).

b) Shooting at & hitting a non-slug designated target with a shotgun slug, or the use of any other prohibited ammunition.

c) A shot which strikes the ground within 10 feet of the shooter.

d) A shot which occurs while loading, reloading or unloading any firearm.

e) A shot which occurs during remedial action in the case of a malfunction.

f) A shot which occurs while transferring a firearm between hands.

g) A shot which occurs during movement, except while actually engaging targets.

Exceptions - a detonation which occurs while unloading a firearm is not considered an accidental discharge. A “detonation” is defined as the ignition of the primer of a round, other than by action of a firing pin, where the projectile or shot does not pass through the barrel (e.g. when a slide is being manually retracted, when a round is dropped etc.).

5. Safe/ Unsafe actions

A participant who performs an act of unsafe gun handling will be stopped by an Event Official as soon as possible, and shall be disqualified. Examples of unsafe gun handling include:

a) Dropping a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, at any time after the ”Load” or “Make Ready” command and before the “Range Is Clear” command.

b) Dropping an unloaded firearm before the “Load” or “Make Ready” command or after the “Range Is Clear” command will not result in disqualification, provided the firearm is retrieved by an Event Official.

c) Using any unsafe ammunition as defined in the "Ammunition" section.

6. Placing / Staging

Placing or staging a firearm during a stage in any location other than the designated location as stipulated in the course of fire. Firearms may only be placed or staged in one of the following conditions:

a) Loaded, safety catch fully engaged, muzzle pointed in the designated safe direction.

b) Unloaded (no ammunition in the firearm), detachable magazine removed, muzzle pointed in the designated safe direction.

c) Unloading any firearm in an unsafe manner, or discharging a firearm while not legitimately engaging a target.

d) Allowing the muzzle of a firearm to break the 180 degree safety plane.

e) Allowing the muzzle of a firearm to point at any part of the participant’s body during a course of fire (i.e. sweeping).

Exception - sweeping of the lower extremities (below the belt) while drawing or re-holstering a handgun, provided that the competitor’s fingers are clearly outside of the trigger guard. Or, when participants are grounding hand guns or long guns the safety must be engaged.

7. Improper actions or engagements

Participants may be disqualified for engaging a steel target (if applicable) in an unsafe manner, or other targets with prohibited ammunition or at unsafe distances outlined below:

a) Engaging steel targets with handgun ammunition at a range of less than 23 feet.

b) Engaging steel targets with shotgun birdshot shot ammunition at a range of less than 16 feet.

c) Engaging steel targets with shotgun slug ammunition at a range of less than 131 feet.

d) Engaging steel targets with rifle ammunition at a range of less than 164 feet.

e) Participants may be disqualified for using a tube-type shotgun speed-loading device without a primer relief cut.

f) Participants may be disqualified for pointing a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, in any direction deemed by Event Officials to be unsafe.

8. Ammunition/ Caliber:

a) Handgun ammunition shall be division compliant using Pict System “marks” (WA3Gun), unless otherwise stipulated, under equipment division rules.

b) Rifle ammunition shall be division compliant when using Pict System “marks” (WA3Gun), unless otherwise stipulated, under equipment division rules.

c) Shotgun ammunition shall be division compliant when using Pict System “marks” (WA3Gun), unless otherwise stipulated, under equipment division rules.

d) Failure to use the proper ammunition as outlined will result in disqualification and removal from the grounds, subject to the determination of the Marshal.

9. Firearms

a) All firearms used by participants must be serviceable and safe.

b) Event Officials may inspect a participant’s firearms at any time to verify they are functioning safely. If any firearm is declared unserviceable or unsafe by an Event Official, it must be withdrawn from the event until it is repaired to the satisfaction of the Marshal or Deputy Marshal.

c) Firearms capable of fully automatic- or burst-fire (“machine guns”) may NOT be used. Violation of this rule will result in DQ and removal from the grounds.

d) Accidental “double-taps” will not be considered automatic fire, but the weapon in question will be subject to “retirement”, and may not be re-admitted for use, at the discretion of the Marshal or Deputy Marshal.

e) Participants must use the same firearms (handgun, rifle and shotgun) for the entire event, however, authorized and supervised repairs and modifications directed by staff will not DQ the shooter.

f) If a participant's firearm becomes unserviceable, that participant may replace their firearm with another of a substantially similar model, caliber and sighting system with the approval of the Marshal or Deputy Marshal.

g) Participants generally may not reconfigure any firearm during the course of the event, unless directed to do so.

h) Explicitly prohibited acts include changing caliber barrel length, shotgun magazine tube length, sighting systems and/or stock style.

i) Permitted acts include installing or removing slings and other minor accessories (e.g. scope covers).

j) If a participant's firearm becomes unserviceable, that participant may repair their firearm with directly equivalent replacement parts. If replacement parts result in a significant change to the firearm configuration, then the repair must be approved by the Marshal or Deputy Marshal.

10. Ready Conditions for Firearms

Unless otherwise stipulated in the course of fire, required firearms will begin the stage in the following ready conditions:

a) Handgun: Loaded to division start capacity with a round in the chamber and holstered, or positioned on the P-table. In the case of single-action semi autos or double-action semi autos with manual override safeties, the safety catch must be in the “safe” position. In the case of double-action semi autos, safe action semi autos and revolvers, the hammer must be down/forward.

b) Rifle: Loaded to division start capacity with a round in the chamber and held in the low ready position, or positioned on the R-table, and the safety catch must be in the “safe” position.

c) Shotgun: Loaded to division start capacity with a round in the chamber and held in the low ready position, or on the S-Table. Safety catch must be in the “safe” position.

d) Participants may not touch or hold any firearm loading device or ammunition after the “Standby” command and before the “Start Signal” (except for unavoidable touching with the lower arms).

11. Divisions

Participants will declare their division start of the event during registration and will receive their division number, shooter number and ID.

Equipment divisions fall into three main categories; Tactical Ops/ Iron (Division 1, 3, 5), and Open (2, 4, 6). However, the divisions are slightly modified under the Pict System to emphasize modern weapon platforms and moves away from iron sights only. (see Division 7 below)

Division 1- Light Standard Rifle- .20 cal and up but not exceeding .299 cal
Pistol- .30 cal and up to but not exceeding .399 cal
Shotgun- 20ga or 12ga
Mags- 30 round max
Options- 1 optic allowed for rifles only, no other post manufacturer modifications or additions allowed to any mechanical function of the weapon

Division 2- Light Modified Rifle- same as above
Pistol- same as above, allows unlimited optics
Shotgun- same as above, allows external mags
(eg. Saiga 12) and unlimited optics
Mags- Unlimited
Options- Unlimited

Division 3- Heavy Standard Rifle- .30 cal and up but not above .40 cal
Pistol- .40 cal and up but above .50 cal
Shotgun- 12ga
Mags- 20 round max
Options- 1 optic allowed for rifles only, no other post manufacturer modifications or additions allowed to any mechanical function of the weapon

Division 4- Heavy Modified Rifle- same as above
Pistol- same as above
Shotgun- same as above, allows external mags
Mags- Unlimited
Options- unlimited, including unlimited optics

Division 5- Mixed Standard Mix and match of all calibers from Divisions 1 and 3
(eg. competitors can use .308s and 9mms, or 5.56s and .45s, or other combinations in this division) All the other modification limits of divisions 1 and 3 still apply

Division 6- Mixed Modified Mix and match of all calibers from Divisions 2 and 4
(eg. Competitors can use mixed calibers, as above in Div. 5, but all equipment and optics are unlimited)

Division 7- Limited/Unlimited Reserved for other special tournament categories
such as CQB, low light, iron sights, western, WWII, or others depending on tournament theme, etc.

Divisions 8 and 9- are reserved for overflow from other divisions, to be designated.

12. Division equipment, accessories, and options

a) Failure to meet all of the equipment and ammunition requirements for the declared division shall result in DQ, or placement in division 8 or 9 at the discretion of the Marshal in consultation with the Deputy Marshal. This will be subject to the time constraints and number of shooters needed to fill a new division. So come prepared for your division. If you have questions, ask us well before Match Day.

b) Handgun holsters must safely retain the handgun during vigorous movement. The belt upon which the handgun holster is attached must be worn at waist level. Shoulder holsters and cross draw holsters are prohibited.

c) Supporting devices (e.g. bipods) are permitted, and may begin any stage folded or deployed at the participant’s discretion.

d) Speed loading devices and/or detachable box magazines are permitted.

e) Tubular speed loading devices must feature a primer relief cut.

f) Divisions 1, 3, and 5 (Light standard, heavy standard, and mixed standard are the equivalent of Tac-ops, therefore, firearms must be of a factory configuration.

g) Handgun holsters must be a practical/tactical carry style and must safely retain the handgun during vigorous movement. The holster material must completely cover the trigger on all semiautomatic pistols. Revolver holsters must completely cover the trigger and the cylinder. The belt upon which the handgun holster is attached must be worn at waist level. Shoulder holsters and cross draw holsters are prohibited.

h) Electronic sights, optical sights, extended sights, compensators or barrel porting are allowed only in divisions 2, 4, 6, and other divisions as specified by the Marshal.

i) In divisions allowing only one optic, this means one electronic or optical sight powered by any external source including solar activated filaments (Trijicon). That means if it has power or chemical activation, you get one.

j) A supplemental magnifier may be used with the permitted optical sight provided the magnifier does not contain an aiming reticle, cannot be used as an aiming device by itself, and remains mounted in the same location on the rifle for the duration of the event.

k) A participant may use the magnifier in either the magnified or unmagnified mode without restriction, in the proper division.

l) Supporting devices for pistols and shotguns (bipods, etc.) are not permitted.

m) Compensators and muzzle brakes may not exceed 1 inch in diameter and 3 inches in length (as measured from the barrel muzzle to the end of the compensator) if you are in a “modified division like 2, 4, 6 or other as designated.

n) Tubular or clip magazines are permitted (This means your Saiga is good)

o) Electronic or optical sights are allowed for the modified divisions 2, 4, 6.

p) Barrel devices designed/intended to reduce recoil or muzzle movement (e.g. compensators, barrel porting) are allowed in the modified divisions 2, 4, 6.

q) Shotgun magazines capacity is unlimited, however only 9 rounds permitted in gun for loaded chamber start, and 8 rounds in gun for empty chamber start, is required.

r) Prototype or home-made firearms are not permitted. Custom made firearms are automatically considered modified, and will only be admitted into divisions 2, 4, and 6; or to a division specified by the Marshal.

s) One iron sight, and/or one non-magnified optical sight is permitted. Electronic or optical sights originally designed to be capable of any magnification (whether used or not) are prohibited.

t) Compensators and muzzle brakes may not exceed 1 inch in diameter and 3 inches in length (as measured from the barrel muzzle to the end of the compensator).

u) Firearms entered into a standard division must be of a factory configuration mechanically. Options such as extended rails, lights, lasers, slings, etc., are not considered to be mechanical alterations. An aftermarket trigger, or a trigger with its’ pull-poundage altered out of manufacturers specifications, is considered to be altered, and thereby not standard. Any weapon altered in this way is to be entered into the modified divisions, and will result in DQ if used in the wrong division.

13. Scoring

Scoring in the Pict System is by hit/miss (knockdowns) which are equally balanced between time and accuracy percentage. There are no penalties, criticals, point calculations, or ABDC zones. There is no way to shoot slow and accurate, or, shoot fast without accuracy, in order to “game the system”.

The scoring formula is- TIME/PERCENTAGE=SCORE

Scoring example- Shooter A makes his run, say in 73.551 seconds, and he hits 39 of 50 marks for a percentage of .78 (78%). The formula is TIME/PERCENTAGE=SCORE, or, 73.551/.78 = a final score of 94.296 …. Shooter B, on the other stage ran in 70 seconds with .96% = 72.917.
Result- Shooter B wins and advances, Shooter A- not so much.

The best score will always be the fastest time with a 100% hit accuracy, or 1.00. For a time of 73.551 / 1.00 = the score is 73.551. Shooters want to have their percentages to be higher that the seconds it took to complete the stage. If so, shooters will always have a score under 100. If you time matches your percentage, you will always have a score of 100. Notice the scorecard below. Shooters 1 and 2 had times higher than their accuracy and they are above 100. Shooters 3 and 4 have time lower than their accuracy, and they are below 100. Here is a 4-shooter scorecard with results.

Time(rank) %(rank) Score Rank
Shooter 1- 75.622(1) .66(3) 114.579 3 (advances)
Shooter 2- 80.102(2) .60(4) 133.503 4

Shooter 3- 82.569(3) .86(2) 96.010 1 (advances)
Shooter 4- 86.891(4) .88(1) 98.740 2

14. Targets and Ammunition

The number of “marks” (targets) on your stage determines the amount of ammo you carry or are allowed to pre-position on tables (where applicable). For example, 25 rifle marks, 10 shotgun marks, and 15 pistol marks means- 50 marks and 50 total rounds of respective ammunition.

Judges determine hits by marks being “struck”, either by displacement from the set position, or by exit hole evidence paper attached to the back of the mark. These hits are recorded, repaired by tape, and then reported to the scorekeepers for the final score.

The number of marks and their positions can change from stage to stage, match to match, much like golf. The match host decides the CoF, but the scoring system is universal.

15. Sample Duel Stage

The stage below is a head to head competition schematic showing yardage, lanes, and starting/shooting/ending positions denoted as Ax (starting point for shooter A); Bx (starting point for shooter B); S/T (scorekeeper and timekeeper table – as well as de-staging zone); and the shooting positions denoted as R (rifle), P (pistol), and S (shotgun). The numbers in the middle denotes yardage, and the numbers in the RPS lanes denote the number of marks placed at those ranges.

5 200y 5
190y
180y
170y
160y
5 150y 5
140y
130y
120y
110y
5 100y 5
90y
80y
70y
60y
5 50y 5
5 40y 5
5 5 30y 5 5
55 5 20y 5 55
10y
R P S S P R
Ax S/T Bx
D-zone

Notes:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Washington 3Gun Association, LLC- 2012 ©All rights reserved.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next