Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 2014 Blade-Tech WA State IDPA Championship 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Edwin wrote:
dmonwai wrote:
Edwin wrote:
Speaking of the Idaho match, anyone looking to carpool there?

Edwin, also ask on the NWPPA forum. There is a large group from here going. You should be find a car pool ride.

I already asked the Down Zero guys but it sounds like their caravan is already full so I'm hoping to start another one or join someone else who is going on their own.

You could check with the Potters, I think they are going. Maybe Fred Cline and the Paul Bunyan crew might have room or the Norpoint crew, Don Owen would be the contact for them. I think I heard the Port Townsend crew is going too, Doug Villers or Don McNees.

I think I'll be looking for someone to haul some of my gear there. If I go I'll ride my motorcycle.

https://www.RisingSunTraining.com
https://www.facebook.com/RisingSunTraining
https://www.instagram.com/rising_sun_training/
"Always be involved To Learn, To Teach, and To Share, what you are passionate about."

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Edwin wrote:
dmonwai wrote:
Edwin wrote:

Edwin, also ask on the NWPPA forum. There is a large group from here going. You should be find a car pool ride.

I already asked the Down Zero guys but it sounds like their caravan is already full so I'm hoping to start another one or join someone else who is going on their own.

lmk if you find a hotel and need to share.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dmonwai wrote:
Edwin wrote:
dmonwai wrote:
Edwin wrote:

You could check with the Potters, I think they are going. Maybe Fred Cline and the Paul Bunyan crew might have room or the Norpoint crew, Don Owen would be the contact for them. I think I heard the Port Townsend crew is going too, Doug Villers or Don McNees.

I think I'll be looking for someone to haul some of my gear there. If I go I'll ride my motorcycle.

ifi drive (covered pickup) I'll have space for your gear, and one passenger

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:57 am

quantsuff wrote:
dmonwai wrote:

ifi drive (covered pickup) I'll have space for your gear, and one passenger

I've got a 4 door car we can use. I was looking for someone to split gas and possibly hotel with. Have either of you looked at the hotel choices in the area?

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:39 pm

quantsuff wrote:
Every shooter should know it is a safety violation to shoot steel closer than 10 yards. Step off bridge one, violate the safety margin for that steel. This is basic, and emphasized in all SO briefings. There is really no excuse for engaging it after bridge one. it wasn't EASY, but it was simple.

Quantsuff,

I'm one of the shooters that was disqualified for shooting the steel from the second bridge on the Earthquake COF. This was heartbreaking because I felt I was shooting well, and after the fact, I learned I likely would have placed in MM had I finished without any major brain farts. Ooops.

Although I'm newer to IDPA, I've been shooting for some time, and I’ve been pretty diligent about learning all the rules and shooting as many matches as possible. I have the entire rulebook pretty well bookmarked and highlighted. I also take safety very seriously.

I have to disagree with you, I don't think it was obvious. Although it may not be the safest thing to do, the rulebook does not explicitly state that engaging steel from closer than 10 yards is a safety violation or a DQable offense. In fact, the rulebook states as follows: “Steel targets must be engaged from ten yards or more.” This is up for interpretation, but I think one totally reasonable interpretation is that the shooter may be penalized a procedural for engaging steel from closer than 10 yards. Furthermore, nowhere in safety rules of the rulebook does it mention that engaging the steel from closer than 10 yards is a safety hazard or a DQ.

I reviewed the course description, and the course description is also silent about engaging the steel on the second bridge and getting a DQ. So I don’t think it’s as obvious as you say. What adds to the obscurity is that there was no measuring tape or painted line delineating 10 yards. Was 10 yards at the end of the first bridge or the start of the second???

Although I didn’t hear it, I was later told by my squad mates that the SOs did in fact mention that engaging steel from the second bridge was a DQ. Again, I didn’t hear it, but I can only blame myself in that case.

Ultimately, I’m frustrated because I was actually trying to be safer. I got off the bridge and realized I forgot to shoot the steel. My fault. I stutter stepped and thought about backtracking onto the wobbly bridge, but I thought the stepping backwards onto a swinging bridge extremely dangerous. So I opted to move forward and take what I thought would be a procedural. Obviously, I was wrong.

In the end, I had a super fun match that ended in disappointment. I believe the SOs did explain that engaging steel on the second bridge is a DQ, I just brain farted. But I definitely disagree that this was OBVIOUS. In fact, I think it was very obscure, and had the SOs not said anything about a DQ for engaging steel on bridge two, I’m not sure there would grounds for a DQ.

Cheers,

Mark

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Edwin wrote:

I've got a 4 door car we can use. I was looking for someone to split gas and possibly hotel with. Have either of you looked at the hotel choices in the area?

Cory Bibby is looking for a ride too. So if you and Tony carpool, Cory might want to ride along.

I think most people stay in Ontario. Last year I stayed at the Rodeway Inn, it was clean enough but the people hanging out in the parking lot were kind of sketchy. There is a Clarion Inn, Best Western, Motel 6 and a Sleep Inn all close to each other.

https://www.RisingSunTraining.com
https://www.facebook.com/RisingSunTraining
https://www.instagram.com/rising_sun_training/
"Always be involved To Learn, To Teach, and To Share, what you are passionate about."

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpental wrote:
quantsuff wrote:
Every shooter should know it is a safety violation to shoot steel closer than 10 yards. Step off bridge one, violate the safety margin for that steel. This is basic, and emphasized in all SO briefings. There is really no excuse for engaging it after bridge one. it wasn't EASY, but it was simple.

Quantsuff,

I'm one of the shooters that was disqualified for shooting the steel from the second bridge on the Earthquake COF. This was heartbreaking because I felt I was shooting well, and after the fact, I learned I likely would have placed in MM had I finished without any major brain farts. Ooops.

Although I'm newer to IDPA, I've been shooting for some time, and I’ve been pretty diligent about learning all the rules and shooting as many matches as possible. I have the entire rulebook pretty well bookmarked and highlighted. I also take safety very seriously.

I have to disagree with you, I don't think it was obvious. Although it may not be the safest thing to do, the rulebook does not explicitly state that engaging steel from closer than 10 yards is a safety violation or a DQable offense. In fact, the rulebook states as follows: “Steel targets must be engaged from ten yards or more.” This is up for interpretation, but I think one totally reasonable interpretation is that the shooter may be penalized a procedural for engaging steel from closer than 10 yards. Furthermore, nowhere in safety rules of the rulebook does it mention that engaging the steel from closer than 10 yards is a safety hazard or a DQ.

In the end, I had a super fun match that ended in disappointment. I believe the SOs did explain that engaging steel on the second bridge is a DQ, I just brain farted. But I definitely disagree that this was OBVIOUS. In fact, I think it was very obscure, and had the SOs not said anything about a DQ for engaging steel on bridge two, I’m not sure there would grounds for a DQ.

Cheers,

Mark

fair enough, and I understand your point, esp about stepping backwards onto bridge one for a makeup shot on the steel, that certainly isn't safe for some shooters. In the end, the SO's made clear that the *end* of bridge one was a "safety line", and why, and that a dq would result.
Everyone dq's at some point in their match careers. Further feedback on this stage and issue should go over on the nwppa-idpa forum where the match staff will see it and address it with you and for next year.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:58 pm

Cory called me mid-last week and asked if Joey and I had room for one more?

So unless his situation changes, Cory is riding with us to Idaho.

We're all staying at the motel 6 as well as some other shooters.

Rooms are $49.95 a night.

Fred

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:09 am

Nope I'm with you guys! Can't wait!!

Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget your travel humidor!

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:34 am

Well, if anyone is looking for a ride to split gas with. Send me a message as soon as possible.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3