Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:40 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Are you thinking about getting a suppressor... 

So any interest in going
Yes 46%  46%  [ 11 ]
No 33%  33%  [ 8 ]
Maybe 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 24

Are you thinking about getting a suppressor... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking about coordinating a small class on what it would take to put a suppressor on YOUR firearm.

What I mean by this... is I have found in my own search or quest to put a suppressor on my specific firearms.
It is one of the biggest puzzles to answer (looking at google and wikipedia, etc) was the simple "HOW" :throwup:

What attachment did I need or do I? What options are there for my firearm? Then what suppressors are out there?

So if you are at the stage of not even knowing how to attach it to your gun or even if you know what suppressor you want... which makes it a lot easier in the sense you now need to figure out how to get it attached to your gun (be it needing a new threaded barrel in what thread count or what adapter).

I have Chip from Cascade Arsenal willing to host a class in his showroom and answer those questions for you...
http://www.cascadearsenal.com

I'm planning depending on how much interest is to get a few members with suppressors to come and also maybe an attorney to talk about getting a trust.

I'm projecting in the Snohomish area (Chip's showroom)
When/Date: To Be Determined (weekend)
Time: mid day (so folks can drive)
Cost: $15 - $20

I am going to ask for a fee - to cover time and misc printing and snacks. Doing things for free is good if folks that say they will show up... show up. Otherwise a lot of energy went wasted. Any funds left over will be given to the vendors and speakers for their time.

Most things I do... I do not do to make money (personally or professionally) but I have found that when things are offered for free - folks don't appreciate it as much and if anything comes up... they'll not come... which leads me to not do these free things.

So, get some info, a snack and meet others.

All I need for now is a "I'm In" to show the interest level and I'll put more energy into getting it done for WaGuns members. thumbsup

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not in, I wish you had done this before I bought my supressors, would have saved a lot of time.

:cheers2:

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing about this site... is we try to learn from each other and share.

So, what did you learn through your "process?"

What mistakes and what did you think was true but later found out... it actually wasn't. Lessons learned - want to share?

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hmm...

Buying a gun with a factory threaded barrel is cheaper and easier than buying a barrel separately.

In my case, it was cheaper and easier to sell my ruger mark III pistol and buy a new one with a factory threaded barrel than to buy an aftermarket barrel.

For my 1911, I went with storm lake barrels, their website makes it really easy to build exactly the barrel you want, but then you can take the part number and shop around. After spec'ing out the barrel I wanted on their website, I got the part number and found that exact barrel at midway for $30 cheaper and in stock, so I didn't have to wait for storm lake to build it.

Pay attention to the thread pitch, because I bought a couple of thread protectors that I thought were the right size, but they were the wrong thread pitch.

As for the supressor itself, silencertalk.com/forum is a great place to get reviews & research, ideally find a place that you can test some out, or go to a local supressor shoot to see them in person. Don't go cheap here, pick the BEST supressor in your opinion, and get that one. It's a long process, and after the cost of the $200 stamp, they aren't cheap anyway. This isn't like any other accessory where you can easily sell it and upgrade later, selling them is very difficult, and you'll likely have it for a very long time. If you can't afford the one you want, don't settle, save for a little longer. By the time you own your supressor, you'll be very familiar with the word 'patience'.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So not too much interests in a class like this? :whatthe:

So going to shelve for now. :timeout:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in.
I want a suppressed .22 rifle. The more I read on google, the more coffused I am.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jamie wrote:
I'm in.
I want a suppressed .22 rifle. The more I read on google, the more coffused I am.

about what? talk to me smalls

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:42 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

LMAO scott just called somebody small

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

CHECK OUT OUR NEW ESTORE
WE can take credit cards plus 3%
I AM AN FFL/NFA DEALER. EVERYTHING I SELL HAS PAPERWORK REQUIRED AND I AM FORCED TO CHARGE SALES TAX

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

have you never seen the sandlot?

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My fisrt question is about the threads. Are the threads on all suppressors the same? Are all the factory threaded bbls standard and ready to sqrew on a suppressor?

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No.

What firearm do you have and is it already threaded?

If not then you have to have it threaded. If it does... look up what the threads are for it... and then you really need to know what suppressor (company, model, etc) you are looking to put on your firearm.

Some may require an adapter... for example the P22 is threaded but requires an adapter from the threaded barrel to the suppressor (the adapter has threads on both ends)... cost around $27-$35 for the adapter.

At lastly is how you will mount this on your firearm. Quick detach, screw on... will also factor into what you will need.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dont have anything right now that I'd put a suppressor on. I'd buy something like this http://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9913

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That rifle with this can on it. http://www.advanced-armament.com/PILOT-2_p_428.html

Last edited by Jamie on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jamie wrote:
I dont have anything right now that I'd put a suppressor on. I'd buy something like this http://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9913

do it. i had one a few years ago and it was quieter than a fart in the wind. those savages would be threaded 1/2x28 and 99% of the mnfr in the US use that thread pitch for .22lr silencers.

this is actually a good question you asked jamie. ill edit the "The process of getting an NFA Item" thread to include thread pitches for weapons/calibers that is the industry standard. it should be up within the next 30 minutes

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just went down to Cascade arms to look, I've allways been a little bit of a impulse buyer when it came to gun stuff.
I bought a gemtech outbackIID and started the paper work for the tax stamp.
I'll find both a rifle and a pistol for it later.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next