Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 .22lr Suppressors Affecting Accuracy? 

I rented a couple .22lr cans (a Surefire and Silencerco) and tried them on a S&W Victory and Ruger 22/45. Both made both of the pistols significantly less accurate (more than 100% larger groups). I'm curious if these were just dirty rental cans or if this is normal for suppressors? If it is, my interest in owning one would go down quite a bit!

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it's common to have a shift in point of impact with a can, but accuracy shouldn't suffer.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rimfire ammo is notoriously dirty. I've had to clean my Spectre II twice due to accuracy drop-off. Approximately 1200 rounds between cleanings. So I wouldn't doubt the cans you used were probably pretty dirty.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you try the same ammo without the can? Possible problem the firearm itself or the ammo?

I run a spectre II, 9mm and 45 cans on a number of different hosts shooting 22lr without any problems. Sometimes a shift, but never had accuracy go down unless the ammo or firearm had problems.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple factors to consider...

Typically suppressors do not impact accuracy. I say typically. Just depends on mix of suppressor and host firearm and distance.

Now the added weight and sight distance can influence the shooter. It is more front heavy and depending on the host and sights on the host gun... can alter how you hold (grip) the firearm.

Some suppressors are large and my obscure the sights. I'm guessing this was not the case but I wasn't there.

And dirty highly used cans can be abused so know it's not the norm.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never found .22 ammo to be particularly accurate out of any pistol, suppressed or not. But maybe that's because I always shoot cheap, mass-produced ammo. Never tried the match stuff. My Form 1 .22 can does cause a POI shift, but I get the same size groups with or without it. I'm not sure why the cans you tried would cause what you're seeing, but I would suspect the ammo before the hardware.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:55 am

scorpion rider wrote:
Did you try the same ammo without the can? Possible problem the firearm itself or the ammo?

Yes, without the cans it shot great in both guns.

BlDtyLry wrote:
Rimfire ammo is notoriously dirty. I've had to clean my Spectre II twice due to accuracy drop-off. Approximately 1200 rounds between cleanings. So I wouldn't doubt the cans you used were probably pretty dirty.

Pretty sure one was a Spectre II, I wasn't really trying for accuracy but they would go from 1" groups at 7 yards to wildly throwing shots in 3-4" groups. Sounds like cleaning every 1k rounds would have prevented it, and I suspect these had been shot more than that.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's not normal. I'd bet the rental suppressors were really dirty, and/or the threads on the pistols being dirty enough to cause misalignment and baffle strikes.

I've never had a 22 suppressor do what you describe, on any gun, pistol or rifle.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]