Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:03 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Do you consider a pistol still a pistol? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so you attach your suppressor is it still a pistol or now a nfa item? and only becomes a pistol once you take it off?

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ops wrote:
so you attach your suppressor is it still a pistol or now a nfa item? and only becomes a pistol once you take it off?

It's still a Pistol....it just has an NFA item attached to it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

can you carry it concealed or loaded in your car?

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You rolling around with a suppressed .308 AR pistol now?

"Why yes officer. I am concerned about self defense against automobiles. Why do you ask?"

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ops wrote:

To my knowledge, yes to both. I don't know of any Law, Statute, etc that would preclude that, it's still a pistol and if you have a CPL you should be good.

Would i carry with an attached Can? No, but i might in the car of it's an AR pistol.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
You rolling around with a suppressed .308 AR pistol now?

"Why yes officer. I am concerned about self defense against automobiles. Why do you ask?"

I LoL'd

Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:54 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

usrifle wrote:
Would i carry with an attached Can? No, but i might in the car of it's an AR pistol.

Just curious why you wouldn't carry with attached can? Size? Concealment? If it wasn't for those two items I would.
Just scratching around various possibilities here.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so you don't blow your ears, and because you can. why be normal? I hate trends....just do it

Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:47 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

First time I met Scott I believe he pulled a glock 21 with 8"can from his waistband. Skinny bastard, and he concealed it well. I was impressed to say the least. That's a lot of hardware to carry. I guess if you feel like it's necessary then go right ahead. If you know Scott, then you know what I'm talking about.

On an AR pistol? I guess in a shoot from vehicle scenario it'd be nice to not blow out your eardrums. But wouldn't you worry about your nfa item walking off in the event of a car burglary?

Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
usrifle wrote:

Just curious why you wouldn't carry with attached can? Size? Concealment? If it wasn't for those two items I would.
Just scratching around various possibilities here.

With a can attached, what holster do you have available? You would look like a sideways Ron Jeremy when you printed.

:thumbsup2:

Then again, it might get you Laid IWB carrying.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ops wrote:

Yes. The suppressor is merely a NFA regulated muzzle device. The pistol is still the pistol, and legally able to be carried loaded and concealed on a person.

As far as the loaded in your vehicle goes, I don't remember the exact wording of that but if it's legal to do that off your person in a motor vehicle sans suppressor then it also is with a suppressor.

A suppressor can be concealed at any time as it is not a firearm. It's a heavily regulated part. That's all.

I also cannot recall from immediate memory of the mandatory minimum statutes for crimes committed with a NFA regulated item are still valid in the eyes of the law, but keep in mind having a can on your carry gun could net your defense team more work if something bad ever goes down and you end up like George Zimmerman.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
First time I met Scott I believe he pulled a glock 21 with 8"can from his waistband. Skinny bastard, and he concealed it well. I was impressed to say the least. That's a lot of hardware to carry. I guess if you feel like it's necessary then go right ahead. If you know Scott, then you know what I'm talking about.

On an AR pistol? I guess in a shoot from vehicle scenario it'd be nice to not blow out your eardrums. But wouldn't you worry about your nfa item walking off in the event of a car burglary?

Good times. The best part was the look on you and wes's faces when I pulled that bitch out. I think we'd asked if I had been carrying it the whole time. Lol.

Nothing says you can't carry a pistol with a can on it. The only time the pistol be ones an NFA item is if you have to serialize the pistol itself with the ATF.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
A suppressor can be concealed at any time as it is not a firearm. It's a heavily regulated part. That's all.

Unfortunately, silencers are firearms as defined in the NFA:
NFA wrote:
(a) Firearm. The term 'firearm' means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in
length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than
26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of
less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall
length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon,
as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18,
United States Code);
and (8) a destructive device. The term 'firearm' shall not include an antique firearm
or any device (other than a machinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon,
the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is
primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

But because carry laws are written and enforced by the States, we should look to the State's definitions to determine legality. If the RCWs do not prohibit the carry of silencers - concealed or otherwise - then it is legal.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

300 BO pistol with supressor locked, and loaded? Why yes!
Let's go hunting!

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next