Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:59 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Silencer/Suppressor 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have decided to finally jump in and look into picking up a couple of suppressors.

first, I am interested in getting on dedicated for .22LR and the host will differ between a few Rugers (22/45 Lite, Mark IV, 10/22) and a couple of S&W (Victory and 22 M&P compact). Most likely will pick up a couple for rimfires. Was thinking of SilncerCo Osprey, Tactical Solutions, or Griffin Armament Checkmate.

As far as 9mm, sounds like some advise going with .45 silencer to have a bit more versatility. I don't have any .45's now that are suppressor ready but open to the idea. Mainly will be used on a dedicated 9mm and Scorpion but if I go the .45 route, then would eventually get a threaded barrel for one of my .45. Heard some good things on the SilencerCo Octane, Dead Air Ghost M, and Rugged Suppressors.

What are you using and how do you like it?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a .22 rifle or pistol I really like my Spectre II. Great can, easy to clean and excellent sound reduction.
For my Scorpion SBR and AR-9 I am doing a form 1 can, but for versatility you may want to spend the money on the new Multi caliber cans available.
Just don't forget to change your end caps when changing calibers. :bigsmile:

Search for the MOAC thread.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Heres what I have. I like all my cans and think they work great

22lr/rimfire - Spectre II
9mm only - AAC TiRant 9mm
45 - Osprey45 and a TiRant45

I don't notice any real difference between the TiRant45 and the Osprey. I picked up the TiRants in a "buy one get one free" type deal. The Osprey is a bummer if you want to run it under a hand guard.

If only planning one pistol caliber can....get a 45 one. Itll work on the 9mm and give you the option of 45 in the future (and 300blk SUBSONIC on a lot of cans). Id also get one that you can take apart and clean if needed so you can shoot lead and be able to disassemble to clean it.

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I decided on the following three cans. Still waiting for them (one month to go hopefully!) so no real world testing yet.

Griffin SPR 5.56 - Decided on this because the over the barrel design make the overall length of the firearm shorter and better balanced. It also claims less blowback & excellent noise reduction.
AAC Element II .22 rimfire - Very little first round pop, easy cleaning, and great noise reduction.
Rugged Obsidian .45 - Excellent noise reduction, easy cleaning, and a nifty design.

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

velillen wrote:
Heres what I have. I like all my cans and think they work great

22lr/rimfire - Spectre II
9mm only - AAC TiRant 9mm
45 - Osprey45 and a TiRant45

Excellent choices! :thumbsup2:

OP, I think you'd be very pleased with the Spectre II for a rimfire can. The styling is not as good as the Sparrow, but it sounds great, is user serviceable, and the price point is tolerable. I'm just waiting for mine to get out of jail.

The TiRant 9 is a very nice can. I have one as well, and I love it - light, well-built, quiet, and sleek. It is a bit spendy, though.

I'm not a big fan of .45 cans for smaller calibers for the simple fact that it's a larger exit hole for a smaller projectile, which leaves something to be desired of the suppression. I prefer dedicated cans myself, but if you're on a budget, the .45 cans work. And if you want a multi-caliber can, take a close look at the Hybrid. I think it'll be my next can.

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]