Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Suppressor for PWS 7.75" 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking for suggestions and/or experience with this combination.

It's not going to be a daily shooter, more of a pdw with occasional practice/use.

Curiosity is if the long stroke will make a difference in barrel length restrictions and the fact it's adjustable gas.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:45 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I guess I'm just not hip enough.

Are we talking about a 5.56 AR-15? Piston-driven? Made by Primary Weapons Systems?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I guess I'm just not hip enough.

Are we talking about a 5.56 AR-15? Piston-driven? Made by Primary Weapons Systems?

Sorry, yes.

Primary Weapons System MK107 (5.56).
7.75" barrel.
Long stroke piston (similar to AK type).

Thanks

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Barrel length restrictions won't be affected by operating system (piston in this case). So much more powder burning in the suppressor with the shorter barrel ya know.
Best to find one that is warranted for that 7.5 inch barrel. I'm sure there are some that are but I can't recall which manufacturers.
Could always build a Form 1 can and not have to worry about the warranty.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Everett, Lynnwood at various times
Silencerco Saker and Rugger Surge are both rated for 7" 5.56. You will need a 30 cal can. No 5.56 can to my knowledge is rated for a 7" barrel. That being said, if I wanted a 7" PDW, I would run 300BLK. 5.56 is notorious for baffle strikes. If you have to, run the Saker or the Surge with a 30 cal end cap.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:36 pm

guncruiser wrote:
Silencerco Saker and Rugger Surge are both rated for 7" 5.56. You will need a 30 cal can. No 5.56 can to my knowledge is rated for a 7" barrel. That being said, if I wanted a 7" PDW, I would run 300BLK. 5.56 is notorious for baffle strikes. If you have to, run the Saker or the Surge with a 30 cal end cap.

I'm confused. You're saying that baffle strikes are more common with 5.56 than 300 in a .30 can? I don't see how that's possible.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:25 pm

you may want to read what he actually said which was...

5.56 is prone to baffle strikes (with a 5.56 can). Thus buy a 30 cal can which would reduce the chances of that.
I run my 7" BLK with a GemTech 9mm Can (subs only) which is reasonable quiet and hedges on the off chance there are any issues stabilizing the bullet. you'll find that a 220(ish) grn 300blk at subsonic speeds has a much better chance stabilizing than a 5.56 at vastly supersonic speeds.

I did just talk to SIG about their 5.56 SRD can. They say they would warranty it on any commercially available length, so maybe an option here.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dead Air Sandman has no minimum barrel lengths all the way up to 300Win Mag. Currently running a Sandman S on 8" 5.56 SBR and Saker 7.62 on 12.5" 308Win SBR. If i had to do it over again I would go with Sandman L rather than Saker 7.62.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Everett, Lynnwood at various times
chipster wrote:
you may want to read what he actually said which was...

5.56 is prone to baffle strikes (with a 5.56 can). Thus buy a 30 cal can which would reduce the chances of that.
I run my 7" BLK with a GemTech 9mm Can (subs only) which is reasonable quiet and hedges on the off chance there are any issues stabilizing the bullet. you'll find that a 220(ish) grn 300blk at subsonic speeds has a much better chance stabilizing than a 5.56 at vastly supersonic speeds.

I did just talk to SIG about their 5.56 SRD can. They say they would warranty it on any commercially available length, so maybe an option here.

Correct.

5.56 with a 7" barrel doesn't stabilize well. A 5.56 projectile is much lighter than 300. About 3-4x lighter.

Pressure also increases along an exponential (and not linear) curve with shorter barrels. 5.56 is over 17000 psi at 7", about 11500 psi at 10.5" and 8150 at 14.5" and that is hard on a suppressor.

There is a bunch of anecdotal evidence with folks getting baffle strikes with < 10" with 5.56 with a 5.56 end cap. I would at least get a can which is rated for it with a good warranty and run a 30 cal endcap.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I run a Specwar 7.62 can on my 5.56 SBR and it works great. Sound reduction is actually slightly better than the 5.56 can. Plenty of DB comparison tests on youtube, but mine is a 10.5"
The specwar 7.62 is rated down to 7" on 5.56 and is also full auto rated.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Built a lower, attached the upper and fired a few rounds through it, 250-300.

Got the suppressor sooooo hot it caught the Silencerco suppressor removal tool, hot pad, on fire when I set it down on it! OOPS!!!!!!

It also permanently discolored the Saker 7.62 can!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Both Dead Air and Surge label their cans with no min barrel restrictions, speaks to the toughness of their designs. SilencerCo you will need to go with the Saker line for that shot of barrel.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anthony.L wrote:
Both Dead Air and Surge label their cans with no min barrel restrictions, speaks to the toughness of their designs. SilencerCo you will need to go with the Saker line for that shot of barrel.

The specwar 7.62 is rated down to 7" on 5.56

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]