Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:15 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 ATF sends open letter to CLEOs regarding ATF 41f 

Nothing new, just reinforcing points we knew about previously. CLEO is notification only but doesn't yet specify or suggest the method you use to notify. CLEO does not need to take any action after receiving notification. The biggest negative here is the ATF doesn't address the storage or disposal of the forms you send the CLEO with confidential info. Will they destroy them? Will they keep them, and if they so how will they be stored and who has access?

Postmark deadline is July 13th. After that be prepared to follow all the new 41f requirements.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/06/03/a ... g-atf-41f/

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anthony.L wrote:
The biggest negative here is the ATF doesn't address the storage or disposal of the forms you send the CLEO with confidential info. Will they destroy them? Will they keep them, and if they so how will they be stored and who has access?

And this is what I've been pointing out since day 1 of 41F.

Best case scenario: they don't protect these files very well and a temp clerk sees your paperwork and tells their less-than-honest friend. Next thing you know, your house gets robbed.

Worst case scenario: In this state, we have ZERO protections against our guns being confiscated during a declared state of emergency - actually the RCWs very clearly give the governor the power to do that very thing. And even if he/she doesn't, I don't trust SPD not to come up with that bright idea on their own...

Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Interestingly enough, it would seem that ATF is continuing to have the CLEO involved by asking for notification as to whether they have information about that individual which would disqualify the entity from obtaining the item. Perhaps ATF believes that the CLEO is still the best person to know the affairs of an individual even though they are now required to submit fingerprints and photos as a responsible person.

Actually the CLEO is probably more informed than the database that fingerprints are checked against. Not all records are forwarded in a timely manner and if the CLEO is doing his job they will check to see if they have any pending court information or other information in their possession that hasn't made it's way "into the system".

Also, if they are doing their job, they will be protecting the private information lest they find their asses the subject of a civil suit.

Lastly, to prevent getting robbed good safes (properly secured and even hidden) can protect the firearms.

When confiscation becomes a concern I think most people have a "Plan B" already in place. If they don't have one yet it's a good time to devise one. (shovel, sewer pipe, preservative, dessicant, imagination, gps coordinates, etc).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:32 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Benja455 wrote:
Best case scenario: they don't protect these files very well and a temp clerk sees your paperwork and tells their less-than-honest friend. Next thing you know, your house gets robbed.

Best case is that they do a good job and protect the files. I think generally most government offices take document security seriously. A very rare security failure gets big headlines, so we feel less safe than we probably ought to feel in this regard.

Benja wrote:
Worst case scenario: In this state, we have ZERO protections against our guns being confiscated during a declared state of emergency - actually the RCWs very clearly give the governor the power to do that very thing. And even if he/she doesn't, I don't trust SPD not to come up with that bright idea on their own...

We still have the very greatest protection against gun confiscation that there can be right now- the fear (and knowledge) of what an outright attack on 2A would mean for any agency... a bloodbath.
The Controllists only real hope is a step by step encroachment, and the slow attrition as the 2A crowd ages away... then the further indoctrination into their "safety 1st! If it saves but one child! Guns = death and suffering!" mentality.

Any agency attempting a door to door gun confiscation in WA would invite a very painful war.

Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anthony.L wrote:
Nothing new, just reinforcing points we knew about previously. CLEO is notification only but doesn't yet specify or suggest the method you use to notify. CLEO does not need to take any action after receiving notification. The biggest negative here is the ATF doesn't address the storage or disposal of the forms you send the CLEO with confidential info. Will they destroy them? Will they keep them, and if they so how will they be stored and who has access?

Postmark deadline is July 13th. After that be prepared to follow all the new 41f requirements.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/06/03/a ... g-atf-41f/

There's similar information on the CPL forms and similar risks exist. But at least the King County sheriff (I don't know about others) has made clear the contents of those forms aren't subject to public disclosure. Actually that would be a good public disclosure question, list who has access to the CLEO ATF forms (for a given jurisdiction).

Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]