Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:02 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Anyone use the trust offered by Silencer Shop? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm finally going to get rolling on using my WaGu Birthday PIF tax stamp to buy my first suppressor, and want to set up a trust. I've been reading threads here and see nothing but positive reviews about NW Gunlaw Group.

I'm also looking at the $129 trust offered by Silencer Shop and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it, and how it might compare to a NWGLG / Gundocx bronze trust. The SS trust says they give you everything to be able to add trustees without further cost, while one detailed review of the NWGLG bronze said it does not allow for the addition of trustees / beneficiaries. If the SS offering is the same as the NWGLG bronze then I'd definitely go with the local service, and the ability to apply the cost to upgrading in the future.

Any advice / comparison info is greatly appreciated.

Mon May 23, 2016 11:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
I'm finally going to get rolling on using my WaGu Birthday PIF tax stamp to buy my first suppressor, and want to set up a trust. I've been reading threads here and see nothing but positive reviews about NW Gunlaw Group.

I'm also looking at the $129 trust offered by Silencer Shop and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it, and how it might compare to a NWGLG / Gundocx bronze trust. The SS trust says they give you everything to be able to add trustees without further cost, while one detailed review of the NWGLG bronze said it does not allow for the addition of trustees / beneficiaries. If the SS offering is the same as the NWGLG bronze then I'd definitely go with the local service, and the ability to apply the cost to upgrading in the future.

Any advice / comparison info is greatly appreciated.

If the SS trust allows you to add trustee's, that is a plus for sure. The NWLG Bronze trust does not allow that. I don't know what other features may be available with the NWLG Group Silver trust over the SS trust might be, but that is worth looking into.
I have the Bronze trust and will be forced to upgrade to Silver before July 9th or whatever it is so I don't have to play games.
At this point I'm more concerned with disposition and legalities in regards to disposition if I am gone, not further acquisitions.
I am done after 41p comes in effect.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue May 24, 2016 12:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got the Bronze trust, if I ever want to to upgrade to Silver they will apply the $97 toward it.

Tue May 24, 2016 10:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have made some commentary on previous postings about the NWLG trusts. I personally have the Silver trust and initially was going to go with the Bronze. I personally do not have a lot of disposable income to throw around in general, but I took advice and went with the NWLG. The SOT dealer I am currently working with commented that the Trust I have is a good one and so far there are no processing problems at this time for my NFA items. One thing to consider is we do not know what the future will present politically. It is even hard for some people to grasp that we had an assault weapons ban and a federally imposed magazine restriction for 10 yrs. Gun laws evolve and not always in favor of the law abiding person, exercising their 2nd amendment rights.
So the bottom line, if you have concerns, I would suggest go with the Bronze trust from NWLG and get your NFA project going. If you need to upgrade in the future, then you have the ability to do that. I am not familiar with the details of the Silencer Shop trust. I cannot say that it is a bad trust but it is probably set up so you can get you NFA purchase going.
Despite the upcoming BATFE regulations coming into effect, consider what future laws and amendments may occur. Do not skimp on legal, registered items. You invest a lot of time and money into them.

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Last edited by SFCRMSA on Wed May 25, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 24, 2016 12:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Everett, Lynnwood at various times
The SilencerShop trust is pretty decent. Yes, you can add additional trustees without any issue. Their language is clear and easy to read. It really comes down to the language and what provisions are part of the text. You can also designate additional beneficiaries. A lot of trusts I have seen don't clearly state the relationship between the settlor and trustee, what rights the settlor grants and what the beneficiaries can and cannot do plus what happens if the beneficiary happens to pass away or not be able to take possession of the property due to local laws (say your kid moves to California). You can name alternative beneficiaries in that case.

I would recommend it.

Tue May 24, 2016 12:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am still weighing the options since it sounds like you get more initial flexibility with the SS trust than the NWGLG bronze. I like the idea of working locally and being able to apply 100% of the initial investment towards an upgrade. But I don't plan on owning a ton of NFA items so I'm not sure if I need to invest in the bells and whistles, so to speak.

Thanks guncruiser for the feedback about your experience with the SS trust.

I would plan to set up my beneficiaries starting with my wife, and then listing the kids in order of their ages, down to the youngest. Any other advice for that particular issue?

Tue May 24, 2016 4:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked at the Silencer Shop Gun Trust and found it to be too restrictive, adding trustees and beneficiaries. I went with the trust package from https://www.guntrustguru.com . It seemed a lot more flexible and inclusive, not only silencers, but also adding deleting trustees and beneficiaries, and provision for non-NFA firearm inventory.

I would have liked to have kept it local, but couldn't get into the stepped-tier (and stepped pricing) approach that was available locally.

YMMV.

Wed May 25, 2016 2:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the feedback and for another option to look at. Looks pretty good!

Thu May 26, 2016 10:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
I would plan to set up my beneficiaries starting with my wife, and then listing the kids in order of their ages, down to the youngest. Any other advice for that particular issue?

It's hard to split a suppressor 5 ways. The legal language for splitting up things equally is per stirpes and it's best to avoid that in this situation. In my trust I can spell out who gets what specifically for each item. Right now I have all my stuff going to my brother-in-law since he manages the family farm and that's where everyone else can use it. Later on I might want other things to go to other people so I have that option.

Fri May 27, 2016 7:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]