Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:16 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Need a trust 
FFL / Dealer

When I bought my 2 suppressors via silencershop.com I bought their trust. I think it was $125 or so. The ATFE approved it, so I'm not sure I'll have problems in the future.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I buy a trust for 99 bucks and get assigned a number, and decide to buy the 500 dollar trust down the road, do I get assigned a new number? or is my old number transfered over? I want to get the ball rolling, but dont have 500 bucks to spend on something like this.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

mcyclonegt wrote:
If I buy a trust for 99 bucks and get assigned a number, and decide to buy the 500 dollar trust down the road, do I get assigned a new number? or is my old number transfered over? I want to get the ball rolling, but dont have 500 bucks to spend on something like this.

What's this number you speak of?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://silencerco.com/nfa-trust/ SilencerCo is offering a $10 EasyTrust discount enter the code ETRUST10

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

What's this number you speak of?

The trust number that is assigned that you have to put down on your form one. I want to build my own suppressor.

Am I off base here?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:13 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Way off base. There is no # assigned.

Your serial # of your NFA device is associated with your trust. If you make a new trust then you can either make your old trust a trustee of your new trust of pay $200 to transfer/sell your NFA items to your new trust.

YMMV - I am not a lawyer

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But don't I have to have a trust to even file for a tax stamp?

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:40 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

mcyclonegt wrote:

You need to either have a trust (or similar entity) or apply as an individual.

If you have a trust, then you put your trust name on the application. Your trust name will be "McycloneGT NFA Trust" or whatever you choose to make it.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

If you have a trust, then you put your trust name on the application. Your trust name will be "McycloneGT NFA Trust" or whatever you choose to make it.

OK I just assumed there was a number. So if I buy a better trust down the road can the trust name stay the same? Or do they have to assign a new name to every trust?

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:19 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I am so freaking excited to post in this friendly thread again! I feel like Kristen Wiig in this clip!

I feel a little trepidatious asking this question again- but can someone describe the errors that occur with the $129 or free trusts and the ACTUAL consequences... I thought I worded it correctly in my previous posts, but I try again.

Please give actual cases of errors... what the errors were and what the consequences were.

"YOU BUY CHEAP TRUST THEN ATF CRUSHES YOU TO BITS" wasn't really an educational response...

Here's the reason I am dissatisfied with previous explanations - they don't explain much. I understand that the proponents of trusts from lawyers are really excited about their trusts, and consider those who even ask questions about their sage advice to be stupid horses, idiots, and that even considering the DIY trusts will probably bring the full weight of the ATF down upon us, our children, and likely two or three generations further on down the family tree. Hell, they might exhume some deceased forebears and perform exorcisms before burning the bones to ash.
I am not looking for a browbeating today. Sometimes it's fun to take a good browbeating, but not today please.

So here is my challenge - try to help all of us who do not have NFA trusts by sharing a factual and NON fear based response.
Fear based responses are for sheep (and idiot horses.) This is the kind of argument posed by the anti-2A people about how we'd all be so much safer if all firearms were taken away from private citizens. "Because safer."

If I have failed again in my quest for factual information, would someone else be able to suss out just what i am asking, and ask it again in a better way?

Thank you brethren and sistren. :cheers2:

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
MadPick wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

OK I just assumed there was a number. So if I buy a better trust down the road can the trust name stay the same? Or do they have to assign a new name to every trust?

You can edit your existing trust (assuming the attorney you buy it from allows you to do that and if so, at what cost). Or you could write your own and not worry about that.

If you create a new trust with a new name - it is the equivalent of a different person.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will ask the gun trust folks if they will let me upgrade down the road. And Mike, I've never met a dumb horse.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:55 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

mcyclonegt wrote:
I will ask the gun trust folks if they will let me upgrade down the road. And Mike, I've never met a dumb horse.

?! You forgot that we had breakfast at Judy's in Centralia a few weeks ago?

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
You can edit your existing trust (assuming the attorney you buy it from allows you to do that and if so, at what cost). Or you could write your own and not worry about that.

If you create a new trust with a new name - it is the equivalent of a different person.

To add to this, only a revocable trust can be re-written by the grantor. So if you pay an attorney to write your trust for you, make sure it is not an irrevocable trust.

Yes, you can write your own trust. Just be sure you know what you're doing.

Personally, I subscribe to the school of thought that you should choose your trust name carefully and stick to it. However, I don't believe there's anything wrong with having multiple trusts, so if you decided to do a name change, you could just form a second trust, keep the NFA assets you already have under the original trust, and acquire any new NFA assets under the new trust. You wouldn't have to consolidate your NFA assets under a singular trust unless you wanted to.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
I feel a little trepidatious asking this question again- but can someone describe the errors that occur with the $129 or free trusts and the ACTUAL consequences... I thought I worded it correctly in my previous posts, but I try again.

Please give actual cases of errors... what the errors were and what the consequences were.

The most obvious error that comes to mind is that the trust lacks all of the essential elements to be a valid trust in the first place. In this case, your NFA applications will most likely be rejected by ATF. After all, that is what they are checking for when they review your trust; they're not analyzing its merits and flaws. If you commit this error, your application will be rejected, your $200 tax paid will be refunded, and your money paid to the NFA dealer will be refunded, less any restocking fee (if applicable). Bummer, but not the end of the world. I don't have any personal experience with this error, but I've read stories about it happening to people - even people who paid attorneys to write their NFA trusts.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what the other errors might be. Perhaps failure to consider nuances in state law regarding estate settlement? Or failure to clearly and specifically convey your intentions to your trustees? The consequences of these errors will fall upon your trustees and beneficiaries, not you - you'll be pushing up daisies by the time the errors are discovered.

I'm also curious if there are any other errors that could be potentially catastrophic.

I bought a trust, but not because I was fearful of writing it myself. Well, maybe a little bit, but only because I didn't know the first thing about trust law or the NFA acquisition process at that time. I was in a hurry, and I had more money than time (in other words, I was lazy), so paying an attorney was the most appealing option for me. It's worked out so far, and I feel pretty good about it.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next