Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:41 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 WA state revokable living trust template 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
I'm not doubting its well written and would most likely be passed by ATF to get a NFA item.

My concern is again... what happens after and during your life and onward. Basically a one to two page trust has been used and has passed ATF in the past.

I'm not a lawyer and the problem as I see it and my concern for others is... what happens (if anything) if something is wrong with it or something changes later (after) you get your NFA item and then... who is stuck holding the bag.

I'm not 20... no one has to ever remind me of that simple fact. I'm not just looking at right NOW but what about later.

Again, if this doesn't concern you and you are 21 and have no assets.. and/or are willing to use it.

No one is stopping you contacting the OP. :bonghit:

I requested, received, read, and re-read the template before I posed that question to the group. I also gave that away by saying "it's fairly well written, to be honest" but .... anyways.

I really gotta say that you should at least read it. Then at least you'll know it's actually 16 pages long, not "1 or 2" like you keep insinuating. Give it a puncher's chance.

:cheers2:

Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
I'm not doubting its well written and would most likely be passed by ATF to get a NFA item.

My concern is again... what happens after and during your life and onward. Basically a one to two page trust has been used and has passed ATF in the past.

I'm not a lawyer and the problem as I see it and my concern for others is... what happens (if anything) if something is wrong with it or something changes later (after) you get your NFA item and then... who is stuck holding the bag.

I'm not 20... no one has to ever remind me of that simple fact. I'm not just looking at right NOW but what about later.

Again, if this doesn't concern you and you are 21 and have no assets.. and/or are willing to use it.

No one is stopping you contacting the OP. :bonghit:

At this point you sound a lot less like youre looking out for others and more like a trademarked trust salesman who works on commission.

Ive asked YOU for a real life example to your fantasy doom and gloom scenario of creating a trust without an attorney .

You cant provide it. You cant even give a specific hypothetical scenario where there could potentially be a legal issue with the formation documents.

A trust has a Beneficiary, it has Trustees who are to maintain, disperse or liquidate assets after the Grantors death, as laid out in the trust documents. How could anyone be "holding the bag" with an NFA item that has a cancelled stamp and an approved Form. The legal status of the Trust isnt going to change unless the Grantor dissolves it prior to their death.

With a living trust , the Grantor may change ANYTHING within the documents at any time for any reason. So Im really at a loss to figure out why you're so hung up on potenial future problems that you cant even put into words, yet would be correctable with a few key strokes and possibly a notarized signature if there was an issue with the distribution of assets at any time prior to the Grantors death.

Again do you have a tornado specific rider on your home insurance policy Oldkim? If not, why not? The odds that you'll be wiped out by a tornado in w. WA are significantly higher then the likelihood that the formation documents of your trust will be called into question by a prosecutor yet you have legal counsel lined up for that. Just in case.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:06 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

As a likely purchaser of a NFA Trust, the thing I like best about the OP's choice of Trust is that you get to read it before you buy it. I know, . . . it's free, but stay with me.

All the attorney-offered Trusts are proprietary meaning what you're paying for is their knowledge and their choice of words. It makes sense from their perspective not to give away the milk before the cow is bought because you might just take advantage of that situation and never buy the cow. But unless I see how they handle the various provisions, how can I know if that Trust is suitable for my situation?
:blackcloud1:

Here's a list of things that can go wrong with generic Trusts. It seems possible to me that an attorney-offered Trust could have the same defects, but I wouldn't know that until I'd bought the cow.
http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/1442-copying-nfa-trust-3.html#post44852 wrote:
. . . I recently reviewed a Legal Zoom Trust. The results were very much the same. Legal Zoom allowed the creation of a trust which facilitates the purchase of a NFA firearm, but had many problems involving the following
1) the Grantor / Settlor was not defined properly
2) problems when property is transferred from decedents will (if they own other NFA firearms)
3) allowed for revocation of trust when the trust has NFA firearms
4) No requirement of trustee to be legally able to possess the items
5) Problems dealing with homestead properly? also why would you place a homestead in a NFA trust?
6 Termination of trust creates problems because Trustee cannot transfer items in time
7) Nothing to warn unknown future trustees about compliance with state or federal law or what actions are necessary.
8) No power for individual to open bank accounts or deal with ATF when there are multiple trustees.
9) Successor Trustee must sell off assets to divide equally among heirs if there are not an equal number of each items for each beneficiary. You cannot preserve the assets for your children.
10) No power to use NFA firearms in the trust - the trustee violates their duty to Beneficiary to preserve and maximize assets in the trust.
11) What about geographic restrictions?
12) what about age restrictions?
13) Legal zoom trust would transfer a machine gun to 5 year old child upon the death of a parent.

All in all the Quicken Trust was a more complete but equally inappropriate trust for the Purchase of NFA firearms. . . .

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DocNugent wrote:
As a likely purchaser of a NFA Trust, the thing I like best about the OP's choice of Trust is that you get to read it before you buy it. I know, . . . it's free, but stay with me.

All the attorney-offered Trusts are proprietary meaning what you're paying for is their knowledge and their choice of words. It makes sense from their perspective not to give away the milk before the cow is bought because you might just take advantage of that situation and never buy the cow. But unless I see how they handle the various provisions, how can I know if that Trust is suitable for my situation?
:blackcloud1:

Here's a list of things that can go wrong with generic Trusts. It seems possible to me that an attorney-offered Trust could have the same defects, but I wouldn't know that until I'd bought the cow.
http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/1442-copying-nfa-trust-3.html#post44852 wrote:
. . . I recently reviewed a Legal Zoom Trust. The results were very much the same. Legal Zoom allowed the creation of a trust which facilitates the purchase of a NFA firearm, but had many problems involving the following
1) the Grantor / Settlor was not defined properly
2) problems when property is transferred from decedents will (if they own other NFA firearms)
3) allowed for revocation of trust when the trust has NFA firearms
4) No requirement of trustee to be legally able to possess the items
5) Problems dealing with homestead properly? also why would you place a homestead in a NFA trust?
6 Termination of trust creates problems because Trustee cannot transfer items in time
7) Nothing to warn unknown future trustees about compliance with state or federal law or what actions are necessary.
8) No power for individual to open bank accounts or deal with ATF when there are multiple trustees.
9) Successor Trustee must sell off assets to divide equally among heirs if there are not an equal number of each items for each beneficiary. You cannot preserve the assets for your children.
10) No power to use NFA firearms in the trust - the trustee violates their duty to Beneficiary to preserve and maximize assets in the trust.
11) What about geographic restrictions?
12) what about age restrictions?
13) Legal zoom trust would transfer a machine gun to 5 year old child upon the death of a parent.

All in all the Quicken Trust was a more complete but equally inappropriate trust for the Purchase of NFA firearms. . . .

Ive watched A Christmas Story too many times so I'll address the potential pitfalls, but basically they boil down to being able to edit the Trust documents to suit your situation. If you cant edit the Trust documents, then it's clearly not something you'd want irregardless of NFA assets in it or not. I had read earlier today where a Trust program ( possibly Quicken) wouldn't allow the Grantor to choose the name of the Trust and would populate that line with the Grantor's name , John Q Public Living Trust etc.

1. defined under state Law or something else ? Edit the wording to clarify who the Grantor/Settlor is.
2. Property transferred before or after the Grantors death? If the items are owned by the Grantor and they added them to the Trust what is the issue? Property owned by the Trust is legally seperate from property owned by the Grantor.
3. How is that an issue? Only the Grantor can revoke the Trust, no one else. As its a revocable living will, its the Grantors responsibility to make sure the maintain the validity of the Trust if they intend to keep it. Owning NFA weapons does take a minimal amount of intelligence, to remain legal at least, so revoking the Trust before the transfering the NFA assets out of the Trust would be entirely on the Grantor for making that kind of error.
4. Trusts are legal fictions that hold and maintain assets and possibly have certain legal advantages over doing so as an individual, namely tax/probate/NFA advantages in certain circumstances. If you're naming Trustees to your Trust who are legally ineligible to take possession of your assets maybe you should rethink your choice of Trustees? If the implication is that there's no requirement for the Grantor to be eligible, ATF does check out the Grantor's eligiblity prior to Form approvals. Ive seen a Form that was denied when the Grantor was a felon.
5. Mixing non-NFA assets such as real estate, insurance payouts, pensions. retirements, other financial instruments really needs an attorney to avoid potential issues like taxes/ non payment of insurance monies/challenges to the Trust by people who want the assets.
6. Again the termination of the Trust before the Grantors Death is up to the Grantor. The Beneficiary would receive the assets as laid out in the Trust, either immediately or at a future date specified in the Trust documents by the Grantor. Upon the death of the Grantor the NFA items owned by the Trust remain the items of the Trust, they do not change ownership unless the Grantor directed the Trustees to transfer them rather than hold/maintain/deliver them to the beneficiary.
7. If the Grantor felt the need to lay out the restrictions/obligations/implications of owning NFA items in the Trust
that would be up to them. However, its not required by State law, it's just another asset on the Schedule A to Quicken.
8. The Grantor could specify who has the power to open an account. I havent opened an account for a Trust but I have for an LLC and a Corp and it's pretty clear cut, need documents showing you're authorized and your photo ID. Same thing with authorizing a Trustee to act on behalf of the Trust when contacting the Trust after the Grantors death.
9. Lay out who gets what as you would in a will, or create multiple Trusts for each of the heirs with the assets set aside within each Trust for each individual.
10. Again, lay out the role of the Trustee as you see fit when editing/writing the Trust.
11.Geographic restrictions as in limiting where the assets can go or where the trust is valid as each state may have different laws specifically dealing with the establishment and maintenance of Trusts? The first is absurd, the second obviously varies by state, however in WA there's no requirement to "register" the Trust or keep the State updated with the assets or mailign address of the Trust.
12. Again laid out in the Trust, which beneficiaries woul receive what assets after the Grantors death. Either a date or an age or event in the beneficiaries life. The example of a 5 year being transferred a MG is absurd because it's not changing owners if it's currently owned by a Trust. The assets and finances of the Trust would be maintained by the named Trustees until the Beneficiary is of legal age to take lawful possession of the Trust's assets and relieve the Trustees of their duty to maintain the assets. I would think 18 in most cases/most states, however with NFA items the ATF wouldn't approve the transfer into a new Trust created by the 18 year old beneficiary, however they wouldn't be under any requirement to move the assets out of the original Trust as they are the named beneficiary.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:48 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

NWRed wrote:
Ive watched A Christmas Story too many times so I'll address the potential pitfalls, but basically they boil down to being able to edit the Trust documents to suit your situation. . . .

Apparently you missed or didn't 'get' my cow-milk analogy.

If you buy a 'Platinum NFA Trust' from an attorney, you may get an electronic version that you can edit (at your own risk), but from what I've seen, you're more likely to get a print-out that you'd have a difficult time editing. What you offered is at least readable/editable.

The business model I'd like to see is an attorney who will provide an electronic file of his basic NFA Trust for free, and an offer to add features to it for his hourly consultation rate. Customized, but with the basic features spelled out in their entirety. Haven't found that anywhere yet.

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DocNugent wrote:
NWRed wrote:
Ive watched A Christmas Story too many times so I'll address the potential pitfalls, but basically they boil down to being able to edit the Trust documents to suit your situation. . . .

Apparently you missed or didn't 'get' my cow-milk analogy.

If you buy a 'Platinum NFA Trust' from an attorney, you may get an electronic version that you can edit (at your own risk), but from what I've seen, you're more likely to get a print-out that you'd have a difficult time editing. What you offered is at least readable/editable.

The business model I'd like to see is an attorney who will provide an electronic file of his basic NFA Trust for free, and an offer to add features to it for his hourly consultation rate. Customized, but with the basic features spelled out in their entirety. Haven't found that anywhere yet.

I understood it, but figured I'd address the pitfalls anyhow since there are others that are adamant a DIY Trust is a recipe for disaster.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3