Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:35 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Is there a universal suppressor? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a noob to the suppressor world so be gentle...

I ran across a review of a multi calibre unit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8q2AjxjUlc

and it piqued my interested. Is there a universal, serviceable can that will work with 45acp, 308, and 22lr ? Yeah, that hits the range from size to power. Of course something like that would not be as efficient due to it's broad parameters but it would conceivably cut down on cost as you'd only buy ONE suppressor and a bunch of adapters.

Here's one that is CLOSE
http://libertycans.net/mystic-x/

its for the 9mm and you can do 300 BLK but nothing hotter through it.

Anyone have experience with universal cans like this?

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not the expert... dj_fatstyles is..

But until he chimes in...Here are a my few points.

1) You can use a 308 can to do many things... but it's not recommended for 22LR
It doesn't mean it's not possible. It's just that most 30 caliber cans are sealed and are not easily serviceable and with .22LR lead build up is a concern. That is why most .22 can are serviceable (not all).

2) Not all cans will fit all firearms. You often need an adapter from the firearm to the suppressor (can). There are some models that will have some multi ability but it just depends on quick detach (QD) or threaded onto barrel and what "suppressor and adapter you are using.

3) rifle to rifle or pistol to pistol? Mixing it up?

So it's a yes and no answer... just depends on "what" calibers and how you are wanting them attached (adapter...)

Now your .45 is about 1.5 times larger than a 30 caliber so No you can't shoot 45 in a 30 caliber can... (okay you can shoot it once as it blows up in your face). And you can't shoot 30 caliber out of a 45 (as it's not designed for the pressures of the 30 caliber). The handgun suppressors are not rated for larger rifles (unless it's overbuilt and rated for it).

Now I'm sure there is someone that may be building one... but overall. Don't shoot a rifle caliber out of a pistol can.

Quote:
Here's one that is CLOSE
http://libertycans.net/mystic-x/

Please note that is note rate for 308... it is rated for 300BLK, 5.56, 9mm, 7.62x39 but not 308

What are you looking at suppressing? And are they threaded now? Each may require an adapter on top of figuring out what combo will work for you.

What I have found with suppressors is that with semi auto... you don't gain all that much with suppression (using regular ammo).
What you do gain is reduced percussion, muzzle flip and a bit less recoil.

Bolt action (yes) using subsonic ammo (yes) :thumbsup2:

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:37 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

It seems like the best of all worlds to be able to get 1 do all can, reality it will do some calibers really well but you will lose suppression on significantly small calibers. 308 will work for 223 just may not be as quiet, 45 will work for 9mm just won't be as quiet

sent from my apple pet

CHECK OUT OUR NEW ESTORE
WE can take credit cards plus 3%
I AM AN FFL/NFA DEALER. EVERYTHING I SELL HAS PAPERWORK REQUIRED AND I AM FORCED TO CHARGE SALES TAX

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feather pillow. Works wonders with all calibers, and woman too!

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coastal Gun Inc makes a .458 Socom suppressor....That should work on everything.

:peep:

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been pretty happy with my Huntertown Arms Guardian 9 - http://www.huntertownarms.com/guardian9.php (so happy that I just bought another one)! I bought both from Greg (K&E Arms).

The Guardian 9 will do: 9mm, 17 Mach2, 17 HMR, .22LR, .22 WMR (they used to list subsonic .300 Blackout on the website, but too many morons put supersonic rounds down the pipe and damaged their cans - it just can't handle the pressures at that velocity but they confirmed with me that it's still okay to use subsonic stuff). I used it with 9mm & 22LR right now. It's not as quiet as some other suppressors but it's substantially less expensive - so if you're looking for value, the G9 is a good one to select (their warranty is also top notch). Check out the reviews on YouTube and other gun boards...it has a pretty large fan base.

Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

long answer, oldkim just gave you.

short answer,
for pistols, swr/silencerco octane45 with 40, 9mm, .22 adapters
for rifles, thunderbeast 30-p with a 1/2x28 adapter

you wont be able to find a one size fits all silencer out there for all rifle and/or pistols. different pressures between the two and different materials used in respect to the silencers. if youre looking for "hollywood" quiet, then get a dedicated .22 silencer and just shoot .22 otherwise you will be dissapointed.

heres a few videos i did between suppressed and unsuppressed

300winmag with the thunderbeast 30-p no ear pro and it didnt hurt the ears (though the same can on a .308 rang our ears)

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I learned it from you... :bigsmile:

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]