Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 11:34 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Is this legal? 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

http://www.armslist.com/posts/3731982/salem-oregon-handguns-for-sale--tnw--wasp--custom-asr---9mm-

It looks like the Seller bought a TNW Aero Survival Rifle, cut the 16" barrel down to about 6.5", took the adjustable stock off the buffer tube, and now wants to sell it as a pistol.

He says, ". . . it's classified a pistol . . ." but I thought such a transition would make it a SBR. Who's right?

And would the answer be any different if he had bought an OEM 8" TNW Aero Survival Pistol barrel and replaced the ASR barrel with that (instead of shortening the barrel that came with his ASR)?

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-r ... 2011-4.pdf

The atf needs to be destroyed.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the receiver is marked as a rifle... when it was filed... it is always a rifle (under ATF).

So what he did after (if this was a rifle) is in Federal violation.

Barrel length aside...
No. It's the serial number (receiver) that matters. Not the barrel (in terms of its history).

*Yes, you can take a long barrel and cut it down and put it on a pistol upper but not on one that was a rifle.

Keep it simple...

If a rifle... always a rifle (SBR is still a rifle).
If a pistol receiver... then you can keep it a pistol or make into a rifle later... but keep in mind that the receiver was not a rifle when filed.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

If he bought it as a rifle and then made the barrel shorter than 16" (regardless of whether he cut it or replaced it), then yes it's an SBR and he needs to have the appropriate ATF paperwork. It is not "classified as a pistol" just because you shorten the barrel and remove the stock.

How can you tell that it's not just an original pistol? http://www.tnwfirearms.com/product-p/as ... x-xxxx.htm

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
If he bought it as a rifle and then made the barrel shorter than 16" (regardless of whether he cut it or replaced it), then yes it's an SBR and he needs to have the appropriate ATF paperwork. It is not "classified as a pistol" just because you shorten the barrel and remove the stock.

How can you tell that it's not just an original pistol? http://www.tnwfirearms.com/product-p/as ... x-xxxx.htm

the barrel sticks out just a tiny bit past the muzzle thingy on the authentic pistols.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

crazy rules but them are the rules...

no bueno making pistol out of rifle...

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:43 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

MadPick wrote:
How can you tell that it's not just an original pistol?

I'm going by the wording of his ad: "I have a TNW ASR that had been changed around a bit. . . ." The ASR is a rifle, and as spikedzombies mentioned, the barrel of an ASP (pistol) extends about 1.5" beyond the barrel nut.

Sounds like he's in violation right now, and it'll cost him about $100 for a new ASR rifle barrel to make it as it was.

So, . . . who among us will get the honor of peeing in his Cheerios?
:ROFLMAO:

I imagine he'll be in even deeper trouble if he actually sells it as a pistol . . . .

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

General nonsense is gone... So my guess is....

Anzac?

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:04 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

His ad is still up, so I finally took the initiative by sending him a link to this thread. I'll post his response if there is one.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's nothing preventing someone from cutting a 8" unthreaded barrel down to a 6" unthreaded barrel since it looks better flush with the barrel nut anyhow.

As for the "ASR" versus "ASP" it could easily be a case of the ASR is better know then the ASP so he called it a ASR.

Personally with all the stupid shit Ive seen and been offered for sale recently, Id say its probably an untaxed SBR with a pistol buffer and chopped down barrel. Lots of folks, on forums, on Facebook, in real life think you can just put a pistol buffer on a SBR and its a pistol etc.

There was a 10" SBR on Armslist in Tacoma, probably still there. Guy said it was typo- really was a 16" barrel, when I asked him to confirm he had a SBR and what form it was on - F1 or F4, photo is clearly a 10" SBR. Today a guy on facebook asked if I was interested in his Yugo underfolder M92 with an aluminum barrel extension. I asked how the extension was attached as I was thinking Form1 SBR it maybe, just screws on and off he replies. LOL

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:06 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Got this prompt response from the Armslist seller:
Quote:
I don't appreciate being accused of custom fitting my gun. I made no remarks that I did this and is all speculation. I purchased this awesome gun from a gun shop that was clearly displayed and proper paperwork was done. Now if someone is trying to tell me they sold me an illegal firearm that would not make sense to me.

Here's the exact text of the ad in its entirety:
Quote:
For Sale: TNW "WASP" Custom ASR - 9MM

Price:
$ 600
Seller:
Private Party
Account:
Unregistered

Listings by this user

Listed On:
Friday, November 21, 2014
Listed In:
Handguns

Caliber:
9mm Luger
Firearm Type:
Pistol

Flag | Edit | Favorite
I have a TNW ASR that had been changed around a bit. Short barrel, red dot, cheek rest stock. Because of the short barrel it's classified a pistol so no stock or hand grip on it.

And here's the best of the three pics:
:shush:

So my question now is, if he bought it as shown (i.e., if he didn't convert the ASR himself, but some previous owner did), does he in fact own an illegal/untaxed SBR? And if he does, can he legally make it into something legal at this point?

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you ask him what he did to make it "custom"?

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DocNugent wrote:

So my question now is, if he bought it as shown (i.e., if he didn't convert the ASR himself, but some previous owner did), does he in fact own an illegal/untaxed SBR? And if he does, can he legally make it into something legal at this point?

Yes if its an untaxed SBR, possesion is a seperate crime from the manufacturing, both are taxes due, and I'm sure there's a State prohibition also on untaxed SBRs. If it is in fact a factory rifle thats been cut down and had a pistol buffer installed, the only thing he could do legally is surrender it to LE. The best thing he could do for himself is remove the pictures and purchase a rifle barrel from TNW and never bring up the fact it was chopped down.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:47 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

NWRed wrote:
DocNugent wrote:
. . . .

. . .The best thing he could do for himself is remove the pictures and purchase a rifle barrel from TNW and never bring up the fact it was chopped down.

That's what I was thinking when I posted, ". . . it'll cost him about $100 for a new ASR rifle barrel to make it as it was."

Since it sounds like he's claiming not to be the original buyer, he should first ask TNW whether it was originally an ASR or an ASP (if it was an ASP from the factory, he's in the clear, but his ad makes him look like a criminal).

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]