Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Company built vs. private built 

What is the difference between a company producing suppressors by the hundreds and a LEGAL papered person building one suppressor? What I am asking is if each component is considered a suppressor.And there are say 10 total parts to one suppressor until assembled, there are according to what I read here, 10 suppressors requiring 10 stamps.Does a company need stamps to build suppressors like a private person I am sure they have hundreds of tubes and baffles in stock and I have seen here in many posts members stating ATF says you cant have extra parts without being stamped? I only ask because the members seem to have interesting opinions

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Licensed manufacturers dont notify ATF of the new complete NFA item until it's completed. Manufacturers pay a yearly fee and pretty much do whatever they want as far as R&D and manufacturing samples. Licensed manufacturers and licensed dealers do not pay a tax to transfer between dealers/manufacturers/LE agencies. Only unlicensed people/trusts/corps pay the transfer taxes. Dealers who are not licensed manufacturers would pay the manufacturing tax just like anyone else who isnt licensed.

Unlicensed individuals may not construct an NFA item until the Form 1 is APPROVED. The general concensus is dont have drilled baffles/monocores laying around and you'll be fine. Piles of UNDRILLED freeze plugs and threaded tubing isn't constructive intent. Making the baffles/monocores useable would be however.

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:58 am

Thank you for replying.What I don't understand is a properly papered and stamped person who designs and builds their own suppressor cannot repair it, they must send it to a form 5 manufacturer. I believe especially if they build with wipes if I am reading the McClure-volkner legislation . Tim Bixler of SCRC got around the wipes issue for the hush puppy with the mark 100.You own it, you designed it, you built it but you cant repair it because to repair it you must have on hand or create new parts which are separate suppressors in and of their own according to the 1986 law ? If this is all correct why has no one challenged the law? I only ask these things because the subject is interesting and the members here are a valuable source of information

Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]