Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:50 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Form 1's are being approved 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
MadPick wrote:
spikedzombies wrote:
Than it comes back to the Federal vs State Law

No, I don't think so. I see it as a case of a state law being more stringent than a federal law.

Per federal law, it's legal for us to build SBRs here. I understand that the ATF won't typically approve SBR builds for states that don't allow it, but that's a case of the ATF applying the ATF's judgment to a state law.

Correct.

Until the AG's office comes back with a clarification or someone else is the test case, I'm not going to waste my time and/or money. It's not worth it to me.

Ya because filing a 5320 with ATF and assembling/manufacturiung your approved form1 SBR in OR is too much work to comply with WA state law. Approved Form 1, plus 5320 travel document, equals legally manufactured Form 1 SBR by a WA trust.

The engravers info :

"This is Trevor. Figured I should introduce myself. I'm the guy who did the SBR engraving pictured/referenced above. If anyone else needs engraving, let me know. You can either PM me, or shoot a text to my cell (253) 293-2164. As a heads up, engraving is not limited to just text. If you guys have graphics or logos, artwork of any kind really, I can probably do that too.

Trevor K.
Auburn, WA"

As for Form1 suppressors, you dont need to be able to machine anything to assemble one, the parts are readily available off the shelf online if you own a drill press and dont mind copying Surefire's 5.56 baffle stack. Mine's going to run me $100 in parts and $200 in tax when I'm done with a .30 can direct thread on suppressor.

Last edited by NWRed on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWRed wrote:
Benja455 wrote:
MadPick wrote:
spikedzombies wrote:
Than it comes back to the Federal vs State Law

No, I don't think so. I see it as a case of a state law being more stringent than a federal law.

Per federal law, it's legal for us to build SBRs here. I understand that the ATF won't typically approve SBR builds for states that don't allow it, but that's a case of the ATF applying the ATF's judgment to a state law.

Correct.

Until the AG's office comes back with a clarification or someone else is the test case, I'm not going to waste my time and/or money. It's not worth it to me.

Ya because filing a 5320 with ATF and assembling/manufacturiung your approved form1 SBR in OR is too much work to comply with WA state law. Approved Form 1, plus 5320 travel document, equals legally manufactured Form 1 SBR by a WA trust.

The engravers info : Jet City Laser IIRC

This is Trevor. Figured I should introduce myself. I'm the guy who did the SBR engraving pictured/referenced above. If anyone else needs engraving, let me know. You can either PM me, or shoot a text to my cell (253) 293-2164. As a heads up, engraving is not limited to just text. If you guys have graphics or logos, artwork of any kind really, I can probably do that too.

Trevor K.
Auburn, WA

As for Form1 suppressors, you dont need to be able to machine anything to assemble one, the parts are readily available off the shelf online if you own a drill press and dont mind copying Surefire's 5.56 baffle stack. Mine's going to run me $100 in parts and $200 in tax when I'm done with a .30 can direct thread on suppressor.

Meh...a trip to OR is way too much effort for a rifle with a short barrel. Let me know when this shit is all worked out properly.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spiked, your reasoning is flawed. Feds say machine guns are legal. Try getting one here. As for ATF approving something. Google "illegal nfa transfers" and hear stories of folks getting their forms approved to only have it stripped away later and them facing jail time. Feel free but I'm not taking the slightest chance on that. I'll have to look into making a can legally. That would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:52 pm

Just the fact I can legally own standard capacity magazines for my handguns is reason to celebrate.

Now, I can have a real SBR, too? this. is. awesome.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IRackNBack wrote:
Spiked, your reasoning is flawed. Feds say machine guns are legal. Try getting one here. As for ATF approving something. Google "illegal nfa transfers" and hear stories of folks getting their forms approved to only have it stripped away later and them facing jail time. Feel free but I'm not taking the slightest chance on that. I'll have to look into making a can legally. That would be awesome.

The feds do NOT say that MGs are legal here.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holy shit. Feds don't regulate each state legalities. They say MGs are legal period. WASHINGTON says they're illegal therefore we can't have them.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IRackNBack wrote:
Holy shit. Feds don't regulate each state legalities. They say MGs are legal period. WASHINGTON says they're illegal therefore we can't have them.

You're incorrect. Since 1994 NO Form 4 for an SBR/SBS/MG has been approved for a WA address. If it isn't legal under state law as a general rule you won't be getting an approval from the ATF to manufacture or transfer. Prior to the SBR laws date of enactment the ATF was DENYING transfers by dealers of SBR without a LE demo letter since there was no other legal purchaser prior to date the law changed.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IRackNBack wrote:

The ATF defers to state law.

Please tell me more on how NFA works.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:12 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Federal law does not make it illegal to own a machine gun in Washington, but the federal agency (ATF) recognizes that Washington state law prohibits it. Therefore, they are "helping" by not approving MG applications for Washington.

Apparently they are not feeling the need to provide the same "help" for SBR Form 1s.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:29 am

MadPick wrote:
Federal law does not make it illegal to own a machine gun in Washington, but the federal agency (ATF) recognizes that Washington state law prohibits it. Therefore, they are "helping" by not approving MG applications for Washington.

Apparently they are not feeling the need to provide the same "help" for SBR Form 1s.

Exactly, they can deny MGs because of state law but approving Form 1s for SBRs is not a ruling on state law. If you are the cautious type, wait for clarification from the AG...

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sreyemj wrote:
If you are the cautious type, wait for clarification from the AG...

That's the plan. I'm in no rush.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty sure we're saying the same thing about NFA stuff post 1994 in WA state. However, tell me how ATF is following state laws by approving manufacturing of SBRs in a state that prohibits it?

And are you saying the ATF has never gone back on an approval just to say it's now illegal? If you agree they have, what is to stop them from doing the same thing here with any genius who decided to make his own SBR?

root wrote:
IRackNBack wrote:

The ATF defers to state law.

Please tell me more on how NFA works.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IRackNBack wrote:
Feds say machine guns are legal. Try getting one here.

I assume this is where some people are thinking i'm arguing with them when i'm not. this was meant as sarcasm...... no tone in text....... :frust:

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Didn't even see this til now.

how exactly am i incorrect? Nothing in your post is disagreeing with anything in mine. I said (maybe poorly since there is apparently a commo issue here) that WA folks can't have MGs but other states can. Therefore Feds say it's legal but leave it up to each state to regulate it how they see fit. unless that statement is wrong, we're on the same page.

NWRed wrote:
IRackNBack wrote:

You're incorrect. Since 1994 NO Form 4 for an SBR/SBS/MG has been approved for a WA address. If it isn't legal under state law as a general rule you won't be getting an approval from the ATF to manufacture or transfer. Prior to the SBR laws date of enactment the ATF was DENYING transfers by dealers of SBR without a LE demo letter since there was no other legal purchaser prior to date the law changed.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWRed wrote:

Any idea on lead time to get back an approved 5320 since you need to put dates of travel, how much notice do you need to give?

Any more info on sources for the suppressor parts to build it yourself?

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next