Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:34 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mounting a Specwar 762 Suppressor 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a Specwar 762 in the works. It's going to be a while before I have it in my hands, but I'm trying to start planning!

I know that the Specwar mounts to the Trifecta muzzle devices, and the suppressor will come with a Trifecta flash hider. However, I have a couple of questions.

I'm going to use this suppressor on at least a couple of different guns. First is a Remington 700 in .308. My inclination here is to buy a Trifecta muzzle brake mount, since if I shoot unsuppressed the muzzle brake will be more useful to me than the flash hider. Does that sound legit? Are there any issues with using the muzzle brake with the suppressor, like does the pressure do anything funny or affect accuracy?

Next up is a .300 Blackout pistol. The handguard is longer than the barrel, but of course shorter than the installed suppressor. The standard Trifecta flash hider should be fine for this, when using the suppressor. Question: Are you aware of any fake suppressors or extensions that will mount to the Trifecta flash hider so I can shoot the gun unsuppressed? (I want to make sure the muzzle is past the handguard when firing.) Removing the flash hider and screwing on a standard fake suppressor isn't a good option, since I would need to remove the handguard to access it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I have a Specwar 762 in the works. It's going to be a while before I have it in my hands, but I'm trying to start planning!

I know that the Specwar mounts to the Trifecta muzzle devices, and the suppressor will come with a Trifecta flash hider. However, I have a couple of questions.

I'm going to use this suppressor on at least a couple of different guns. First is a Remington 700 in .308. My inclination here is to buy a Trifecta muzzle brake mount, since if I shoot unsuppressed the muzzle brake will be more useful to me than the flash hider. Does that sound legit? Are there any issues with using the muzzle brake with the suppressor, like does the pressure do anything funny or affect accuracy?
wont effect anything to the can or the accuracy. the only difference will be when you shoot betweek suppressed and unsuppressed. there will be a slight POI shift because of the weight and harmonics difference.

Next up is a .300 Blackout pistol. The handguard is longer than the barrel, but of course shorter than the installed suppressor. The standard Trifecta flash hider should be fine for this, when using the suppressor. Question: Are you aware of any fake suppressors or extensions that will mount to the Trifecta flash hider so I can shoot the gun unsuppressed? (I want to make sure the muzzle is past the handguard when firing.) Removing the flash hider and screwing on a standard fake suppressor isn't a good option, since I would need to remove the handguard to access it.
no fake cans for the trifecta though it would be something for silencerco to think about. another option would be to get another specwar. :bigsmile: :thumbsup2: :wink05: or a shorter handgaurd

Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

answers in blue

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another advantage to using a brake type silencer mount is that the brake acts as a sacrificial blast baffle with short barrels and rounds with a lot of blast. Protects the silencer a bit, in theory.
I've seen thread on covers for AAC mounts, if they're available for Silencerco mounts it wouldn't be tough to get one extended.

Sent from FBHO! using tinfoil and satellites

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1811GNR wrote:
Another advantage to using a brake type silencer mount is that the brake acts as a sacrificial blast baffle with short barrels and rounds with a lot of blast. Protects the silencer a bit, in theory.
I've seen thread on covers for AAC mounts, if they're available for Silencerco mounts it wouldn't be tough to get one extended.

Sent from FBHO! using tinfoil and satellites

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m ... undle.html

Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

dj_fatstyles wrote:
another option would be to get another specwar. :bigsmile: :thumbsup2: :wink05:

:ROFLMAO:

Oh wait. You're serious. icon_eek

1811GNR wrote:

NWRed wrote:
http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m-16-parts/upper-receivers-and-parts/muzzle-devices/qd-brake-shield-and-yhm-qd-flash-hider-bundle.html

Yup, that's exactly what I need, but in the Silencerco version and about 5-6" long!

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
dj_fatstyles wrote:
another option would be to get another specwar. :bigsmile: :thumbsup2: :wink05:

:ROFLMAO:

Oh wait. You're serious. icon_eek

1811GNR wrote:

NWRed wrote:
http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m-16-parts/upper-receivers-and-parts/muzzle-devices/qd-brake-shield-and-yhm-qd-flash-hider-bundle.html

Yup, that's exactly what I need, but in the Silencerco version and about 5-6" long!

From what Ive read ( taken with a grain of salt) the acme threads are the same pitch, so an AAC adapter would work, but you'd need to mod it to be an extended version. A welded on sleeve the same external diameter internally or vice versa would get you where you want to be.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:23 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dammit, I didn't realize that there's a lockring on the suppressor mount . . . and I'm going to need access to that. Therefore, I don't think there's any way that I'm going to be able to remove and install the suppressor from the mount with the handguard installed.

Options:

- Remove the handguard whenever I want to install or remove the suppressor. This shouldn't be too big a deal, it's pretty easy to take off.
- Leave the suppressor on the mount, and just screw/unscrew the mount onto the barrel with the handguard installed. I'm not sure how feasible this is, and if I'll be able to tighten it well enough without damaging the suppressor.

Or . . . get another Specwar. :rofl9:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Dammit, I didn't realize that there's a lockring on the suppressor mount . . . and I'm going to need access to that. Therefore, I don't think there's any way that I'm going to be able to remove and install the suppressor from the mount with the handguard installed.

Options:

- Remove the handguard whenever I want to install or remove the suppressor. This shouldn't be too big a deal, it's pretty easy to take off.
- Leave the suppressor on the mount, and just screw/unscrew the mount onto the barrel with the handguard installed. I'm not sure how feasible this is, and if I'll be able to tighten it well enough without damaging the suppressor.

Im in da same boat. Think Im gonna go with just getting another rifle that shoots non suppressed. and keep the other suppressed.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

see, i knew you would see it the right way. :rofl9: look around for a shorter hand guard would be my first idea, you know, if you cant get another specwar

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:57 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I can definitely get a shorter hand guard . . . but the whole point was to recess the suppressor under the hand guard. :frust:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for what it matters, mine came with a muzzle brake and not a hider.... I still need to rockset mine though... It's highly recommended per Mike the marine3%er..

and screwing it on took some brute force... that lock ring is tight initially.. but not too bad after a few removals..

so you should be ok screwing the can on into the hidden barrel... it's a long can.. you'll have something to grab on to..

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Yeah, I can definitely get a shorter hand guard . . . but the whole point was to recess the suppressor under the hand guard. :frust:

that's a long handguard if that's the plan.. but would look nice...

which handguards will fit the can though? it's a fat can..

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:44 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

XDM9cWA wrote:
so you should be ok screwing the can on into the hidden barrel... it's a long can.. you'll have something to grab on to..

Screwing it on isn't the problem . . . getting it off is. :frust:

XDM9cWA wrote:
that's a long handguard if that's the plan.. but would look nice...

which handguards will fit the can though? it's a fat can..

It's an 8" barrel and a 12" hand guard.

I *think* it'll fit. The inside diameter of the hand guard is about 1.76". I *think* the lock ring diameter is . . . 1.6" or so?

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should have bought a Gemtech HVT QD. ;)

Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

MadPick wrote:
It's an 8" barrel and a 12" hand guard.

I *think* it'll fit. The inside diameter of the hand guard is about 1.76". I *think* the lock ring diameter is . . . 1.6" or so?

Careful with such a short barrel... Short barrels don't properly stabilize the projectiles and can yaw upon exiting of the barrel, ending in a baffle strike. That's why most suppressor co's don't warranty anything that's under 10.5' bbl length.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next