Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Form 1's are being approved 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cramer wrote:
Any idea on lead time to get back an approved 5320 since you need to put dates of travel, how much notice do you need to give?

Any more info on sources for the suppressor parts to build it yourself?

2 weeks from what I've read. I don't oi we anything that requires a 5320.20 to travel across state lines. If you do fill one out might as well make it for the whole year in the event you want to go shooting out of state and not deal with sending a second one in.

Apogeeproducts.com was where I bought the tubes, $42 for stainless. Dorman via Amazon was the source of the future baffles, 10 for $6 shipped. Sdtactical.com I think offers the end caps in aluminum however I'm still shopping for steel or stainless. The end caps are all over amazon and ebay. I may bite the bullet and go aluminum and have stainless ones made later if the aluminum fails.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IRackNBack wrote:
Didn't even see this til now.

how exactly am i incorrect? Nothing in your post is disagreeing with anything in mine.

Holy shit. Feds don't regulate each state legalities. They say MGs are legal period. WASHINGTON says they're illegal therefore we can't have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[/quote]

You said the Feds don't regulate each states legalities. The ATF will not approve NFA items in states where they're prohibited.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right. ATF won't approve NFA stuff in states where they're prohibited but the ATF itself doesn't say what is and is not allowed in each state. If every state followed FEDERAL law, even Commifornia could have SBRs and MGs.......

NWRed wrote:
IRackNBack wrote:
Didn't even see this til now.

how exactly am i incorrect? Nothing in your post is disagreeing with anything in mine.

Holy shit. Feds don't regulate each state legalities. They say MGs are legal period. WASHINGTON says they're illegal therefore we can't have them.

You said the Feds don't regulate each states legalities. The ATF will not approve NFA items in states where they're prohibited.[/quote]

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the tips on can making. may just submit a .22 Form 1 and do it myself. Only other caliber I "need" a can in and really don't want to wait.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWRed wrote:
cramer wrote:
Any idea on lead time to get back an approved 5320 since you need to put dates of travel, how much notice do you need to give?

Any more info on sources for the suppressor parts to build it yourself?

2 weeks from what I've read. I don't oi we anything that requires a 5320.20 to travel across state lines. If you do fill one out might as well make it for the whole year in the event you want to go shooting out of state and not deal with sending a second one in.

Apogeeproducts.com was where I bought the tubes, $42 for stainless. Dorman via Amazon was the source of the future baffles, 10 for $6 shipped. Sdtactical.com I think offers the end caps in aluminum however I'm still shopping for steel or stainless. The end caps are all over amazon and ebay. I may bite the bullet and go aluminum and have stainless ones made later if the aluminum fails.

Thanks for the info.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:58 am

Awesome idea, I hadn't even thought of doing a form 1 can since I don't have the tools...

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apparently SDTacticalarms.com is now offering aluminum threaded tubes and apogeeproducts.com is now offering dual internally threaded tubes, previously it was internal/external threaded maglight replacement bodies.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWRed wrote:
Apparently SDTacticalarms.com is now offering aluminum threaded tubes and apogeeproducts.com is now offering dual internally threaded tubes, previously it was internal/external threaded maglight replacement bodies.

Are the tubes .308 friendly?

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

M274 wrote:
NWRed wrote:

never use aluminum for high powered rifles. the pressures created will destroy your can. stainless steel and only stainless for centerfire rifles.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dj_fatstyles wrote:
M274 wrote:
NWRed wrote:

never use aluminum for high powered rifles. the pressures created will destroy your can. stainless steel and only stainless for centerfire rifles.

As far as I know the guy at SDtacticalarms has a video of one of his "flashlight suppressors" and he's shooting a .308 IIRC. Its doable, it's just not a commercial ,or long term, viable option. Setting aside the catastrophic failure aspect,which could easily be overcome by using a stainless liner like some rimfire cans do, the cost of a Form 1 suppressor is $100 or less in off the shelf parts ( or less if you make themself or have a shop make them cheaply) and $200 tax. Worst case scenario the can is destroyed. Ive seen pictures of steel suppressors ruined so it's not just aluminum that's suspectible.

Tha being said I'd use steel for a centerfire rifle suppressor.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dj_fatstyles wrote:
M274 wrote:
NWRed wrote:

See I was always under this assumption as well until I read about the new Harvester from Silencerco and its rated for .300WM

Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:51 pm

it's debateable whether or not making an SBR is legal in Washington. The law says you can 'acquire' and 'transfer' SBRs presuming you do so within the bounds of fed law...and the only 2 means of doing that are via making and transferring. Since transferring is already mentioned specifically, what else could "acquire' be referring to? There are no other legal means, so IMO, making IS a legal acquisition under the current state law.

That said, even if it's not, a trip into another state via a 5320.20, is still an option. All four of my approved SBRs will be made in Portland, OR. OR doesn't care, the ATF approves, and WA can't ban things in other states--outside their jurisdiction. It's a 10 minute drive for me being Vancouver. I can see where you guys from up north would scoff at the idea and the inconvenience, but it's a slam dunk decision for us down here. The last thing I need is the AG acting like a douche bag emporer and decreeing that all SBRs made in WA thus far are illegal and who's owners will be subject to prosecution. **** that.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Form 1's are being approved"....

Why yes they are.

37 days. :hangloose:

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3