Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:50 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Quiet, or powerful? (Suppressed 9mm vs unsuppressed 7.62x39) 

Quiet or powerful?
9mm Suppressed 75%  75%  [ 12 ]
7.62x39 unsuppressed 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 16

Quiet, or powerful? (Suppressed 9mm vs unsuppressed 7.62x39) 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

TechnoWeenie wrote:
sinus211 wrote:
Already threaded 5/8x24, shares mags with Glock 19 carry pistol. Very short. Relatively accurate with 16" barrel. No stamps required unless you want a can on it. Cheap. Reliable. Cheap hi cap mags.

I don't own a Glock.. Otherwise, a very solid suggestion..

Ah but wait grasshopper. Keltec also makes a gen2 Sub2000 that accepts M&P mags. $367 at Bud's Gun Shop:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... /719010775

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:07 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Arisaka wrote:
I'm thinking you are probably used to having your face slapped!! Lol

Funny you mention that, my kid's new thing is to swing his arm back and forth while he's getting fed a bottle. Effectively slapping the hell out of my wife and I while we feed him.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

on top of the cheek slap, the Keltec front sight is flimsy (even the "improved" version) and too low.

I really want to like that gun but... Keltec has lots of good ideas they aren't implemented well.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:28 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

jukk0u wrote:
on top of the cheek slap, the Keltec front sight is flimsy (even the "improved" version) and too low.

I really want to like that gun but... Keltec has lots of good ideas they aren't implemented well.

Are you thinking of the gen1 that I had? The gen2 front sight is very similar to an AR-15 front sight and much more stout than the gen1. Although the rear sight is flimsy and on both gens they are pretty low.

I think Keltecs early designs were examples of poor implementation. However, the gen2 sub2000, the KSG, the RDB, and now the CMR-30 definitely have changed my mind about their quality. These, IMO, are good firearms.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fan-boi

:ffight:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:44 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

jukk0u wrote:
Fan-boi

:ffight:

:thumbsup2: Lol, I was just thinking that the other day. I used to call Kyle a fanboy for owning so many Rugers. I own 3 Keltecs now :reaction:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take your pick.

Small. Compact. Plenty out to 150-200yds. Nearly silent.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coming this summer....

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:

Ah but wait grasshopper. Keltec also makes a gen2 Sub2000 that accepts M&P mags. $367 at Bud's Gun Shop:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... /719010775

Damnit.

It's a rifle. Can't cut the the stock off and cut the bbl down... It'd still be a rifle... :( VERY tempting though...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Coming this summer....

https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz- ... rsion-kit/

http://www.armslist.com/posts/6910763/d ... --micro-k-

Not bad at all... Looks short enough...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://pantheonarms.com/collections/ta ... metheus-sc
The Prometheus SC consists of the Dolos take-down system as well as our SC, carbine length handguard. Installing this kit on an existing AR15 or new build will allow you to drastically decrease the footprint of your AR rifle or pistol for efficient storage or discreet transport, with a repeatable zero each time it is assembled.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
https://pantheonarms.com/collections/take-down-systems/products/prometheus-sc
The Prometheus SC consists of the Dolos take-down system as well as our SC, carbine length handguard. Installing this kit on an existing AR15 or new build will allow you to drastically decrease the footprint of your AR rifle or pistol for efficient storage or discreet transport, with a repeatable zero each time it is assembled.

I don't want anything that needs assembly... Thank you for the info though, looks interesting.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Protecting yourself with the best weapon available is priority #1. Rifle calibers trump pistol calibers.

Protecting yourself legally from the legal process is an equal priority #1 (e.g. going to prison is adverse to your self defense ideals).

Protecting your hearing is priority #2.

With that in mind, overwhelming % of realistic threats are going to be within ~50, maybe 100 feet. Pick the best ballistics and platform to address these.

If you want to fantasize as a civilian engaging 100 yard or greater targets, fine. But just realize it's a fantasy, and not going to happen, and if you are engaging long-range targets you're next stop is going to almost surely be prison. If you want to argue this point, please fine 10, or even 1, news story where a civilian had to realistically engage someone at 100 yards for self defense. :popcorn:

If someone is engaging you at rifle ranges, run, zig zag, and take cover. Unlikely anyone can hit you on the move and you'll be better off just taking cover.

I'd love to put suppressor on my weapons at home but they are paperwork and cost prohibitive for me (on the few platforms I keep around my homestead) so I just keep ear pro around and will don it if I have time. I doubt that will be shown as "premeditation" when I'm in my own home and defending myself from intruders. If I'm outside or in public, I'll deal with the additional hearing loss (probably impractical for me to carry a suppressed firearm in public anyway).

Note, also, that return gunfire will likely be loud and unsuppressed so even if you do your part, a loud noise from other gunfire defeats the goal.

I pray the silencers are legalized in the near term, and I'd love to have them on many platforms. Until then, it's earpro next to guns. Takes a second to don.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
https://pantheonarms.com/collections/take-down-systems/products/prometheus-sc

I put together an AR with the Dolos system and was not very impressed. It works for the niche application of trying to fit the pieces of your AR in a smaller bag, but otherwise is more novelty than anything, and necessarily gives up some accuracy to facilitate easy barrel removal.

TW, I know you said not to suggest a 300 Blk AR, but really, everything you're asking for is fulfilled by that exact thing. Seems like you're dancing around the solution with everything else.

It also sounds like you may have some unrealistic expectations on suppression, both good and bad. A suppressed 9mm (especially a blowback system like most of those options are) is not "quiet as a pellet gun" unless you're used to some really loud pellet guns. Have you ever fired one? Your quietest option there is probably the MP5 clone in my experience; still not pellet gun quiet but better than a straight blowback. Keep in mind that even a pistol or SBR version is as heavy as a full power rifle; about 8 lb.
At the same time, suppressed full power rifle, whether that's 5.56, 7.62x39, 300 Blk, etc, in something like an AR can be very tolerable, with the noise reduced to about the same level as an unsuppressed Ruger 10/22. True that the AK platform doesn't suppress well, but the AR does, and if it's a 300 you can have your 7.62x39 ballistics with supersonic loads or use subsonics and still do better than 9mm.

My 300 Blk AR pistol has a 9" barrel and LAW folder with a KAK Shockwave brace; the whole thing fits in an ordinary backpack and unfolds as you pull it out of the pack. I can attach a suppressor and shoot quietly, or use it without to keep it more compact; it works both ways without any adjustments and is nice to have the option.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ruled out 300 BO on cost and proprietary nature. Both x39 and especially 9mm are everywhere.

As far as suppression,rifles are problematic in terms of the size of can and ability to dissipate gases. I don't expect quiet out of suppressed rifles, other than subsonic 300bo. I'm well aware of supersonic crack. This is why the 147gr HST (or maybe even the 150gr HST, I will have to research) is the round of choice in 9mm not only for terminal ballistics but also for its natural subsonic qualities.

I have shot a 9mm MP5 suppressed, I believe they were 158gr?I think? Can't remember off the top of my head, but the only noise you heard was the cycling of the weapon. Ditto from a Glock 17, although with 115gr and 124gr there was audible cracks from rounds going supersonic. The sound from both of those was considerably less than a. 22

I'm not at all concerned about the law, like I said, this is just an insurance plan I'll never use. Let's be realistic, we all carry and the odds of any of us ever having to pull any weapon are so remote it's not even funny.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next