Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Removing dents from rifle magazines 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In a rifle community such as that of the AK owner, the very livelihood of the rifle depends on military surplus, especially magazines. Obviously, The nature of surplus creates rough use, and with it according damage. So let`s talk repairing dented magazines tonight. Dents are a common problem with disposable items such as magazines, especially after rough treatment in military service. But in some situations you simply don`t have access to more, and must rehabilitate the things you have available.

Old Soviet armorer`s manuals describe a mandrel and the specifications for making one, but that would be quite expensive, time consuming, cumbersome and single-purpose. In the situation one of these was not available (which was often), it describes doing this trick. You may have heard of it described as "The screwdriver trick" or "The wrench trick." This process can also be done with AR15 magazines I would imagine, but I would recommend a more gentle touch on the aluminum than would be used on a steel AK mag!

Start by disassembling the magazine. You can see a sizeable dent near the feedlips of this particular magazine, so badly that the follower hung up at about round 12!

Take your biggest, baddest, meanest, most wicked and hardcore, badass wrench or screwdriver available and tighten it into your desktop vice. Go tight on this one, you don`t want it to slip. I used a wrench on mine. Slip the magazine body over the tool until it is at the dent.

Bend backwards on it, pressing the tool against the bend to pop it out. This will likely take some effort, so go slowly and keep a tight hold on the tool. I recommend using two hands, but for the purposes of this writeup I had to use one hand to take a picture. I like to keep one hand on the tool itself (holding the wrench or screwdriver steady) and bend with the other, pushing with one and pulling with the other.

As you can see, the dent is still there (just like the other mag next to it) but the follower now moves freely and can feed without issue. It`s not a pretty fix, but why use a rifle if it can`t be fed right?

Reassemble your magazine. Charge it and hit the range!

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Want High end Russian military gear? PM me!

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:06 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very nice. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's an AK mag, they don't work without dents. In mother Russia mags feed comrads.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:54 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

An 11/16" was your "biggest, baddest, meanest, most wicked and hardcore, badass wrench or screwdriver available?" :bigsmile:

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually it was.

Spoiler: show
the 3/4 inch serves special duty. :ROFLMAO:

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fjordforder wrote:
Actually it was.

Spoiler: show
the 3/4 inch serves special duty. :ROFLMAO:

That’s his poop wrench.

Nice job though. More dedication than I would have put into it.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
That’s his poop wrench.

a 3/4 inch wrench serves excellently as a tool for especially stiff gas tube covers. It fits perfectly around the gas tube for easier twisting.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:21 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Massivedesign wrote:
That’s his poop wrench.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

That poop knife story cracked me up!

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:16 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

sinus211 wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
That’s his poop wrench.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Mens Room FTW

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:12 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

sinus211 wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
That’s his poop wrench.

Mens Room FTW :thumbsup2:

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thrill is my Spirit Guide.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]