Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:39 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PSA 300 AAC 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unburned powder = muzzle flash. I'm failing to understand the problem. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OhShoot! wrote:
I read that 300 BO was designed for a 10.5-11 inch barrels. Might be why people are getting unburned powder in the shorter 7.5-8 inch barrels.

This guy says 9":

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/foghorn/ask-foghorn-questions-300-aac-blackout-rifle/

That's about what I had read from other sources too when I built mine, around 8-9". I went with 8.5" since KAK had a bunch on sale.

Right now I'm just shooting S&B 200grn but will start reloading with Berry's bullets once I have enough brass collected.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Unburned powder = muzzle flash. I'm failing to understand the problem. :bigsmile:

More junk building up in the can

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
beckdw wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
Does anyone with a 7.5" or 8" barrel have issues with incomplete powder burn on .300 AAC BLK subs? I know that's an issue with short 5.56 barrels, but not sure if it would be different for .300 considering the loads are quite different.
Do I ever. I was considering starting a thread on it. I get a lot of powder all over the inside of the ARs. Yet, I lose velocity if I back off the charge...wtf?

What powder are you using?

Probably need something that burns faster. All 300BLK that I've seen use pistol length gas systems. Not a lot of time to burn everything up.
I run AA1680 because that is the only powder that I have found that will cycle my loads in the 7.5". I'm considering trying magnum primers to see if I can get all the powder to burn.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
beckdw wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
Does anyone with a 7.5" or 8" barrel have issues with incomplete powder burn on .300 AAC BLK subs? I know that's an issue with short 5.56 barrels, but not sure if it would be different for .300 considering the loads are quite different.
Do I ever. I was considering starting a thread on it. I get a lot of powder all over the inside of the ARs. Yet, I lose velocity if I back off the charge...wtf?

Probably need something that burns faster. All 300BLK that I've seen use pistol length gas systems. Not a lot of time to burn everything up.
I run AA1680 because that is the only powder that I have found that will cycle my loads in the 7.5". I'm considering trying magnum primers to see if I can get all the powder to burn.

Magnum primers sound like a great idea.

Divided we fall.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the 300 Blk and load a lot of it, but 7.5" is shorter than I want. My first AR (back when the 300 was new) was an 11" 300 Blk, which I later shortened to 9". 9" works pretty well, but lost some significant velocity from 11" with supers; more than I expected based on the numbers posted online.

For subsonics only, it doesn't matter too much, except that it'll be a little louder for a given suppressor and load than a longer barrel would be.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OhShoot! wrote:
beckdw wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
beckdw wrote:
[quote="Guns4Liberty"]Does anyone with a 7.5" or 8" barrel have issues with incomplete powder burn on .300 AAC BLK subs? I know that's an issue with short 5.56 barrels, but not sure if it would be different for .300 considering the loads are quite different.

Magnum primers sound like a great idea.[/quote]Yeah, the nice thing about subs is you don't have to worry about pressure as much.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Resurrecting an old thread. Does anyone have experience with 300AAC without a suppressor in a PSA 8.5" stock upper? I'm thinking of one of their upper kits to build my first AR pistol.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't recall the exact specs of my upper but you should be fine with what they put together

You might need to swap the buffer out, that's all I did to get mine running well. No adjustable gas block needed

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My dad has the PSA 8.5" 300 Blackout pistol. Runs like a top at 1050fps with 10.5gr of AA1680 under a 203gr bullet.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2