Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:02 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PSA 300 AAC 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was considering building a 300AAC with a 10.5 barrel using an Aero upper, lower, and atlas handguard. I don’t currently have anything else in this caliber but wanted to do a pistol length AR. Then I come across this in an email.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-7-5- ... 3a00+Email

Thoughts? Any pros or cons with this barrel length?

Figured I can try this one out and eventually build one to my liking if I like it or want to do something different.

Don’t have a suppressor yet, but something I will eventually do

Last edited by Rafman on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you plan on running a suppressor check to see what it's rated to.

I have a Recce7 and it's 'rated' down to 8" for 300BLK although I'm sure it would be fine on a 7.5" with subs.

I currently have it on a 8.5" upper and it ends up being a little shorter than a standard 16" upper.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:23 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

My son and Daughter In Law just purchased 2 complete PSA uppers in 5.56......Neither one of them operate more than a single shot. Swapped one of my uppers on their lowers to make sure it wasn't an issue with lowers....Nope ran perfectly. Not sure what the problem is but it is pretty sad that 2 brand new "factory assembled" uppers do not operate.....just a for what it is worth.

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
If you plan on running a suppressor check to see what it's rated to.

I have a Recce7 and it's 'rated' down to 8" for 300BLK although I'm sure it would be fine on a 7.5" with subs.

I currently have it on a 8.5" upper and it ends up being a little shorter than a standard 16" upper.
This^^^^

Also, my dad has their 8", and it runs like a top. No problems on an Anderson lower with PSA parts kit.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:46 am

I have 1n 11.5" PSA upper in .223/5.56 and no problems.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just don't mistake your rounds.

ps ill take your uppers and see whats wrong. could be gas block not on right is all

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:03 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have an 8" 300BLK upper (not from PSA) and mine runs well with my subsonic loads. If you want to use a suppressor and subsonic ammo, then I think the shorter barrels are probably better because they will keep the velocity down (i.e., subsonic) without forcing you to drop the powder charge too low.

Another thought is that if you're going to run a suppressor, you need to make sure you can attach it (thank you, Captain Obvious, haha). So if the end of the muzzle threads are inside the handguard, and the handguard is too small in diameter to "tuck" your suppressor, then you're hosed. I'm guessing from the PSA photo that this is the case here, and you wouldn't be able to attach a suppressor without more work.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May consider going 223/5.56 just to keep some uniformity. But then I’ll have the nagging feeling of still wanting a 300AAC on hand.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

also make sure its pistol gas. I've heard they can be finicky.

Don't let this be you

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Factory loads out of a 16" bbl are still subsonic.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nitro_Guns wrote:
My son and Daughter In Law just purchased 2 complete PSA uppers in 5.56......Neither one of them operate more than a single shot. Swapped one of my uppers on their lowers to make sure it wasn't an issue with lowers....Nope ran perfectly. Not sure what the problem is but it is pretty sad that 2 brand new "factory assembled" uppers do not operate.....just a for what it is worth.

Have you checked the gas block to make sure the rifle is cycling correctly? Might be worth a quick look.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone with a 7.5" or 8" barrel have issues with incomplete powder burn on .300 AAC BLK subs? I know that's an issue with short 5.56 barrels, but not sure if it would be different for .300 considering the loads are quite different.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Does anyone with a 7.5" or 8" barrel have issues with incomplete powder burn on .300 AAC BLK subs? I know that's an issue with short 5.56 barrels, but not sure if it would be different for .300 considering the loads are quite different.
Do I ever. I was considering starting a thread on it. I get a lot of powder all over the inside of the ARs. Yet, I lose velocity if I back off the charge...wtf?

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read that 300 BO was designed for a 10.5-11 inch barrels. Might be why people are getting unburned powder in the shorter 7.5-8 inch barrels.

Divided we fall.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
Do I ever. I was considering starting a thread on it. I get a lot of powder all over the inside of the ARs. Yet, I lose velocity if I back off the charge...wtf?

What powder are you using?

Probably need something that burns faster. All 300BLK that I've seen use pistol length gas systems. Not a lot of time to burn everything up.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next