Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:44 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Firearm inventory.....How do you track yous? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have nothing like this going.
I definitely need to fix that in the next few days.
Thanks for the inspiration Wagunners!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:58 am

I have a google spreadsheet that tracks most things. All firearms are on there. Its pretty simple and has column for Name, Caliber, Serial #,Purchase Date, Price, Purchased From, And Accessories (which either has Sheet 2 or No in it). The spread sheet also has a column "sold" in case i do sell off a gun. Only one gun in that category lol

Sheet 2 has all the more expensive stuff that arent firearms. Scope Mounts, AR uppers (since they arent always on same lowers), Scopes

I then also have pictures of every gun. Generally a wide view of it all and then a close up of the serial numbers. These are stored in a folder on the pc, on the home server, and a flash drive in the safety deposit box (with a copy of the spread sheet). Also there is a scan of receipts when I have them. The original receipts are in the safe.

I then also typed up a sort of "what to do if i die" sheet which is just info on the guns. Like if a specific gun has sentimental value or something. It also explains a bit on my NFA items and has the dealers ive used info to get help (along with the aft number). It also says to come here for help and to not just go to a gun store. Most guys here seem pretty reasonable with helping non-firearms people sell off collections if needed...or just answer questions.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:51 am

I just try to remember what is in what safes.

Last edited by sigman226 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I let the government track mine for me

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excel spread sheet for me.

Top section has all my info.

Under that is columns: Make/Model/Type of Action Manufacturer/Importer/Distributor Type and Action Caliber or Gauge "Serial number/
ID number" Date bought Where purchased " Purchase
price " Estimated current value Notes Photo? Other Notes, Date and Disposition/Sold/Gifted/Traded To and Buyers Notes Items to buy Willed to

I also keep backups of this regularly. And I keep hard files of bills of sale back before 594, and receipts, manuals, online purchase receipts, etc.

I try to add notes as I shoot the guns like accuracy, any issues, any repairs made or needed, etc.

I'm really glad I started this a long time ago. I have some guns I've forgotten I bought, forgotten their quirks, etc. Sometimes instead of digging around for it I can just pull up the spreadsheet.

I have other pages for ammo, magazines, scopes, knives and so forth. I can do pie charts, bar graphs, etc. to get a quick visual on my ammo, mags, etc.

This makes is so much easier to inventory for instance if you're adding things to an order - for example, if you see you have 3 stripped lowers, 1 BCG, and 1 charging handled, 1 upper, and 2 parts kits. It's super fast to know you need xyz additional parts to complete your 3 builds.

On the fence about emailing to myself. So many systems are hacked these days, may be better off just keeping a hard and electronic copy in a second location. A pin drive in a locked box in a trusted friends house or bank deposit box for instance.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:14 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

leadcounsel wrote:
Excel spread sheet for me.

I have other pages for ammo, magazines, scopes, knives and so forth. I can do pie charts, bar graphs, etc. to get a quick visual on my ammo, mags, etc.

This makes is so much easier to inventory for instance if you're adding things to an order - for example, if you see you have 3 stripped lowers, 1 BCG, and 1 charging handled, 1 upper, and 2 parts kits. It's super fast to know you need xyz additional parts to complete your 3 builds.

Silly man, that's what random, unlabeled boxes are for. It's like Christmas whenever you open one and go "Wow! It's another lower and some BUIS. Let's start a build!"

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excel with a bunch of columns for details, history, etc. I make copies and include it w/ my Trust.

Just in case I don't make it. :bigsmile:

+82 positive feedback on SGN

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Procrastinated on this for long enough. OP has encouraged me to come into compliance (corporate nodding)... So I filled out copies I made on "flash paper" of a Personal Firearms Record template available from the Justice department (which I picked up free from a LGS (Bear Arms in Covington? IIRC)

List is for insurance and inheritance purposes and will be stored soaked in inflammable liquid for instant destruction should the forces of tyranny and enemies of liberty seek to lay hold to my tools of freedom :flag: :patriot: :flag:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the gooberment..............

not

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep an Excel spreadsheet, plus PDFs of postings if advertised on a site, plus pictures.

Mine is very simple, columns: [Brand] [Model] [Value] [Paid]

I include notes on trade/price in the Paid column, and a capital "T" in the last column with no header for post 594 transfers.

My daughter uses the Gun Log app on her phone to keep track of pistols, ammo, rounds shot, dates, etc. I suppose this could be used for inventory, but prefer to keep my crap off someone elses servers (cloud).

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:ROFLMAO: If I stayed up all night and made a list, I couldn't tell you within 5 guns how many I own. It's cool to find guns you forgot you owned. Then there's ammo! My ammo is really spread out. I found about 20 battle packs tonight looking for some plumbing parts.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:10 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I just finished photographing all my personal and FFL inventoried firearms. I was surprised at how many I don't shoot any longer and the neglected gunsmithing/ upgrades I had in mind for some. I shot about 20 different angles of each firearm, and made an Intro Photo using a description plate under each firearm with major details. I can't see tearing up a gun box as it can add quite a bit to a collector's item in terms of value.

Then, I made a folder for each gun, started a Word document with a sales description and specifications, plus Blue Book value. Had not thought of the inheritance notation. I like the Excel idea for a general overview.

In my opinion, a gun owner needs to be careful to both document (for their records) and then not share serial numbers. I see too many guns advertised with the serial number plainly shown, which invites thieves to file a stolen firearm report and claim YOUR gun!

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:20 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Free software:
http://www.nmcollector.net/nmguncollector/

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn I'm surprised so many keep their records on a google cloud service.

I use google for info that is already hackable on the internet, not my firearms. Google doesn't need access to that shit, fuck'm.

For firearm records I use SD cards and extra copies on physical thumb drives to store complete pictures with parts (insurance purposes) and SNs... then store it in more than one place, where fire/heat can't destroy it. I use SD and Flash drives mostly because it can be easily updated, then locked from being accidentally overwritten/edited without physically switching a button and a password. I read somewhere that flash drives only last a decade or so, and I plan to update the cards/drives as time goes on. One of the thumb drives I've used for 7 years now and it's still good.

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3584ELK wrote:
I just finished photographing all my personal and FFL inventoried firearms. I was surprised at how many I don't shoot any longer and the neglected gunsmithing/ upgrades I had in mind for some. I shot about 20 different angles of each firearm, and made an Intro Photo using a description plate under each firearm with major details. I can't see tearing up a gun box as it can add quite a bit to a collector's item in terms of value.

Then, I made a folder for each gun, started a Word document with a sales description and specifications, plus Blue Book value. Had not thought of the inheritance notation. I like the Excel idea for a general overview.

In my opinion, a gun owner needs to be careful to both document (for their records) and then not share serial numbers. I see too many guns advertised with the serial number plainly shown, which invites thieves to file a stolen firearm report and claim YOUR gun!

I'm interested, do you know of any documented cases of thieves successfully doing this?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next