Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PSA: Clean yer chit. But with what? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lamrith wrote:
mmalleck wrote:
This is why you need a hammer fired weapon. LOL - SIG, CZ, HK, 1911, revolver...

That said, I really like the Slip 2000 products. Never seen that lube gum up.

Slip 2000 EWL - striker fire slides just get a patch wipe down of everything with EWL. If extremely cruddy, brake cleaner, then EWL.

Slip 2000 EWG - on slide rails, and a little on the barrel & barrel hood, cycle and wipe off excess.

Gumming can still get you, hammer matters not, if the action/slide gums and will not cycle freely on a semiauto. The gun Steve mentioned that I had issue with was a DA/SA hammer fired gun. The slide had more drag than normal and it resulted in a missfeed on 4th round. I emptied the gun and racked the slide and could feel that it was not as smooth and free as usual. A drop of oil when I got home and it was greased lightning again, though the gun is getting a deep clean this week and then super light lube.

So those that do a super deep clean, or even use a sonic cleaner, what sort of cleaning agent do you use?

Thanks for the clarification...

I do have an ultrasonic cleaner - cheap Harbor Freight, and has worked great: https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter- ... 63256.html

Here's what I use: http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/shop/a ... aner-24oz/

LA's Totally Awesome cleaner is at the dollar store cheap (acid free). I sometimes will mix in a splash Simple Green. I don't really measure, maybe 1/4-1/2 cup of cleaner. Then add about 3 drops of dishwashing liquid. This will help create bubbles for cleaning.

The ultrasonic cleaner has a heater, but I microwave the water to almost boiling - pretty dang hot.

My guns come out chalky, grease/oil free and clean. The heat helps the water evaporate quickly, but they get blown off and lubed as soon as they are cool enough to handle.

I'm sometimes surprised to see how many tiny brass fragments end up in the water. Not visible before cleaning, but hidden in little places you can't see. It's like panning for gold.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
...I pulled the slide back a little, and this finally cocked it. I pulled the trigger . . . click, no bang. Holy hell, this gun has been sitting loaded next to my bed, and it would be the first thing I'd grab if something went bump in the night . . . AND IT DOESN'T FREAKING WORK. Note that I haven't shot or cleaned this gun for maybe a couple of years...

http://komonews.com/news/local/i-was-lu ... recovering

"He made a run for his bedroom, where he keeps a pistol. He grabbed the gun, but it jammed, and that's when he says she struck him seven times with the hatchet and left him to die."

I agree with one of your other statements: (to paraphrase) no matter what you use it will degrade over time.

This is why a maintenance SCHEDULE is to be followed, no matter your choice of lubes.

It doesn't hurt to have a practice schedule too.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve, have you tried using a dry lube/cleaner, like Hornady One Shot? That's what I switched to after finding that a number of other cleaning products weren't performing (leaving sticky build-up, attracting dust/lint/dirt, not preventing rust, giving off an unpleasant odor, etc.). I have been very pleased with it. It's not cheap, but it checks all the other boxes for me. It might be worth trying.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:13 am

Clean out the old stuff every quarter. No need to change products

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Steve, have you tried using a dry lube/cleaner, like Hornady One Shot? That's what I switched to after finding that a number of other cleaning products weren't performing (leaving sticky build-up, attracting dust/lint/dirt, not preventing rust, giving off an unpleasant odor, etc.). I have been very pleased with it. It's not cheap, but it checks all the other boxes for me. It might be worth trying.

No, I haven't tried the One Shot. That looks like an interesting option, thanks.

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Clean out the old stuff every quarter. No need to change products

Yeah . . . I think that's pretty much the conclusion here, even if I do switch products. :thumbsup2:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ALG lube for me hands down. I use both the grease and the purple lube. Love them both:
https://algdefense.com/accessories/lubricants.html

Divided we fall.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now I’m confused lol. I used to use Frog Lube. Went to the range about a month after applying. It gummed up so bad that I vowed never to use it again. Granted it was outside and very cold, but so might be a defensive shooting scenario. On the advice of Ole Hickok 45 I switched to Ballistol and haven’t had any issues yet. But I’ve read here that others have. Maybe it’s time to go back to the old Hoppes that my Dad and Grandad used. They never had issues.

I don’t know.............. :facepalm2:

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of my requirements is that the smell needs to be . . . well, fairly unobtrusive. Not that I personally care a whole lot, but I don't want to hear about it (know what I mean?) every time I clean a gun.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Hoppes Elite. Odorless. Works fairly well. For barrel cleaning:
Spray some Birchwood Casey gun scrubber through and around (now THAT shite smells crazy poisonous, but evaporates quickly - think brake cleaner or electrical parts cleaner) and get the bulk of the crud off.

Then run some patches of the Hoppes Elite and let it soak. Do that a few times.... maybe put some Butches or some other copper scrubber through if I'm bored or shot a lot of rounds.

then some more gun scrubber just to rinse out and nuetralize the bore cleaner/copper solvent. Then I run it through with Kroil.

After a while or a few days, I'll run a dry patch through to see what the Kroil might have knocked loose, then re-dress it with Kroil and in the safe it goes.

As for lube, depending on the application, Wilson Combat Gun grease II, or some of that Mil-comm oil. Slippery-slippery. You only need a drop. Gun butter for hard to reach stuff.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:17 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I had Hoppes Elite on a stainless 1911 I was building. The slide and frame kept locking up on each other and there were no other parts involved. I cleaned with Brakleen and then switched to FP-10. No more problems.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
I had Hoppes Elite on a stainless 1911 I was building. The slide and frame kept locking up on each other and there were no other parts involved. I cleaned with Brakleen and then switched to FP-10. No more problems.

Yeah. I've just used the Elite cleaner. None of the Elite lubes.

FJB

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
One of my requirements is that the smell needs to be . . . well, fairly unobtrusive. Not that I personally care a whole lot, but I don't want to hear about it (know what I mean?) every time I clean a gun.

Do you have an air compressor, or at least access to compressed air?

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:22 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yondering wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Occasionally, but it's diet-dependent and hard to forecast.

I do consistently have canned air, but that's it . . . not the good stuff.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:ROFLMAO:

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Yondering wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Occasionally, but it's diet-dependent and hard to forecast.

I do consistently have canned air, but that's it . . . not the good stuff.

LOL. OK, carry on. Canned air is not adequate for what I was going to suggest.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next