Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 ATF Notifying Proposed Rulemaking - Bump Fire etc 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
foothills wrote:
I get it...but to just blanket call out the NRA is over reacting.

They deserve to be called out for it! The most prominent pro-2A organization in the country - the one that is constantly saying that guns are simply inanimate objects - suggested in no uncertain terms that the ATF reconsider the legality of a certain inanimate object simply because it was used in a high-profile crime. That is EXACTLY what the anti-2A crowd does. We expect better of the NRA - no, we DEMAND better. They stepped in it, and they deserve to get an earful for it.

I concede...

-- Travis A Kisner

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL I am still pissed off at the NRA for 594!

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
LOL I am still pissed off at the NRA for 594!

You guys are lucky to have the NRA to even be pissed at.

What progun group would be getting bashed if they weren't around to kick...

-- Travis A Kisner

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:00 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Agreed that the NRA is the gorilla in the ring on our side.
I also think it is healthy for us NRA members to make our voices heard when we disagree with a position of the gorilla.
I chewed some ears at the last SHOT show, and the 3 NRA reps that I spoke with were agreeable and seemed to listen. I wasn't able to make it to the annual NRA convention, but I hope to when I get the big project that I am working on done. At the meeting I will try to talk with as many of the NRA movers and shakers that I am able to to suss out whether they essentially cede ground in the face of overwhelming odds (like in CA and WA, with so much of the elected politicals solidly in the anti-2A camp.
Despite my occasional policy position differences, I support the NRA wholeheartedly.

Back to this bumpfire topic - this may have been ceded because of some sort of actuarial table... How many 2A voters actually own this product? How many that do own it look at it as a loophole around the machine gun laws?

Imma gonna bet that several of the NRA bigwigs were already semi-prepared to throw the dog a bone on this one before the Las Vegas mass-murder took place.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:38 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

PMB wrote:
Back to this bumpfire topic - this may have been ceded because of some sort of actuarial table... How many 2A voters actually own this product? How many that do own it look at it as a loophole around the machine gun laws?

I own a bumpfire stock that's on an AR-15. I've had pretty crappy experiences with bumpfire stocks and triggers in general, such as at SHOT Show and trying other people's at the range, but the one that I bought certainly runs like a champ for me! It's fun to shoot every now and then, but the reality is that it's a toy that puts a temporary smile on your face and a permanent hole in your ammo budget.

Is it a loophole around machine gun laws? Well, I guess so, if you think of it as a way to fire quickly, like a machine gun. However, I don't see it as a "cheater" way to own a machine gun, mainly because I have become so accustomed to the complete fucking shitshow that we have for firearms laws that I don't see that there's such a thing as a "loophole" -- just things that are legal, and things that aren't. Bumpfire stocks are legal, period.

Back to the complete fucking shitshow. Let's say that I have an Amazon package on my porch, and my neighbor wants it. Can he come take it? NO. And that's pretty fucking clear. He can't walk over and take it, he can't ride his bike over and take it, he can't send hid buddy over to take it, he JUST CAN'T TAKE IT. Pretty damned black and white.

Now let's move to an AR-15. Is it legal, or not? Well shit, let's run down a bunch of muddy and bullshit rules, laws, and opinions to find out:

- How long is the gun, and how the hell do you measure that, exactly?
- Was it first built with this piece of plastic, or this other piece of plastic attached to the buffer tube?
- Has it ever been touched to a person's shoulder with piece of plastic A attached to the buffer tube? (OK, that one's obsolete, for now.)
- And if you're in Cali, does it have this cosmetic item, or that cosmetic item, or this other cosmetic item attached to it?

I dunno, man. I just don't think there's a "right" and a "wrong" in gun law. There's just a fucking maze.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:50 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Massivedesign wrote:
..... hmmm... If BATFE rules that Slide Fire etc are "machine guns", will they grandfather in those that are already in circulation? If so... Then do we all automatically GET MACHINE GUNS?!??!

How do you figure? Break it down for me... I can see there being a loophole, but foolishness is usually in the direction of increasing regulation, not decreasing.
Bumpfire type stocks are not hard to make, and has been pointed out a thumb in a belt loop can be made to work in the same manner.
If the politicos and rule makers continue on this path, semi-autos will be classed as machine guns because of their ability to be rapid fired with practice.
I think that the rule is going to be specific to these types of stocks and they won't call them machine guns. The definition of a machine gun and automatic fire is too clear and longstanding to confuse these stocks and triggers for real machine guns. Although that binary trigger thingamajig may be under some heavy scrutiny now.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is Jerry an NFA person?
http://www.vortexoptics.com/video/jerry ... rld_record

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
foothills wrote:
I get it...but to just blanket call out the NRA is over reacting.

They deserve to be called out for it! The most prominent pro-2A organization in the country - the one that is constantly saying that guns are simply inanimate objects - suggested in no uncertain terms that the ATF reconsider the legality of a certain inanimate object simply because it was used in a high-profile crime. That is EXACTLY what the anti-2A crowd does. We expect better of the NRA - no, we DEMAND better. They stepped in it, and they deserve to get an earful for it.

I tend to agree, if you give an inch, the antis take a mile.

This is what we're dealing with:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that she "certainly hopes" a ban on "bump stocks" will open the door to additional gun control actions.

"They’re going to say, 'You give them bump stock, it's going to be a slippery slope.' I certainly hope so," she told a reporter at a news conference.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:53 pm

golddigger14s wrote:
No. S&W just has to register him as a DD. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's the page with the ATF document. Click the big green button at the top right to comment:
https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... ar-devices

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:bump2:

You know, MaPi. Locking the other thread was kind of counter productive (IMO). The link for making a comment is kind of a second thought here and not emphasized. So I'm bumping this and reminding folks that the comment period ends in two weeks (Jan 25)

Note to OP. Maybe edit the title of the thread to emphasize and encourage the ability to add comments to the federal register.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

So what does everyone think on this one? Slidefire stocks are selling at regular retail of $150+ right now. Is this one of those "buy it while you still can" kind of things? I'm considering getting a basic model just to store and be grandfathered in. Nothing I hate more than being told "no you can't" when there was a time when I could have.

Should I buy one just to put in the parts drawer?

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:04 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Oh and PS to all the gougers that were charging $500+ for the slidefires right after the Las Vegas shooting, we remember who you are. I have a list. You won't be doing business with me in the future and I'll make sure to PM anyone who is thinking about buying a gun from you in the future. Like SAA, CTD, and PS we don't forget who you are and what you did.

Take that action over to Armslist, Waguns is a community.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:06 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

sinus211 wrote:

Well, we don't know what a potential ban will look like, so who knows if there will be "grandfathering." Hopefully.

I say yes, buy one.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:16 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

Well, we don't know what a potential ban will look like, so who knows if there will be "grandfathering." Hopefully.

I say yes, buy one.

Well then it's on. I love it when the wife goes to bed and leaves me out here with the bank cards! :bigsmile:

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next