Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:54 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Buying a pistol without a CPL 

victoriassecret wrote:
Quote:
Make life super easy, get your conceal carry permit. Washington State is a shall issue state, just get it. Makes you "LEGAL". If you want to play arm chair lawyer with the law with the attitude of; "My understanding is no CPL is needed if it doesn't have a loaded magazine inserted".... you are going to get jammed up. Voice of experience is, I have been stopped in Wa state and other states with a loaded gun in the car. Pulled out my CPL, no problem what so ever. If you think the side of the road explaining the details of loaded, unloaded, open carry, concealed carry in accordance with RCW Blah Bla Blah to a LEO, go ahead. You might get the silver bracelets. Think about it.

I'm not playing armchair lawyer, it is abundantly clear by the very plainly and simply written pertinent RCW that it is not necessary for my case. Not to mention, I've been on plenty of ridealongs. The cop will take the 30 seconds to look up the RCW for car carry on their MCTs. No biggie.

I also don't want to blow $55 on a stupid piece of paper that will attract additional attention to me by the state when 1) I can OC for free 2) I'm probably going to be living in a constitutional carry state (ID) soon anyways 3) I can CC without one under lots of circumstances.

Yeah this wait is annoying, but not $55 annoying

Yes, it does attract attention. GOOD attention. The possession of a valid CPL marks you as one of the "good guys".

Trust me on this one.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:42 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

How do you figure that buying a pistol without a CPL draws less attention from the state than buying a pistol with a CPL?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:50 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
How do you figure that buying a pistol without a CPL draws less attention from the state than buying a pistol with a CPL?

That's my reasoning. $55? Take my money.

I do love that they keep adding waiting periods and lists..........which of course both infringe (USA) and impair (WA).

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$55 for 5 years is less than 3 coffees a year ...

Renewal are even less so someone making a monetary argument here is remarkably frugal.

Whether CPL or not upon purchase the same info is provided to ATF and state. Not having a CPL only increases aggravation - can't even think of a downside.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CPL lets you carry loaded in the car.
CPL lets you not worry about how you dress. It's cold, I throw on a jacket=OK I go in a store it's warm, I take off my jacket=OK.
CPL lets me take my pistol home the same day, and not have to start a thread on "where's my gun?".

I don't like it that we have to have a CPL, but when I look at other states I realise we have it pretty good here.
ATF says that if you have a current CPL for your state, you don't have to fill out a 4473 (WA state says otherwise).

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

victoriassecret wrote:
I also don't want to blow $55 on a stupid piece of paper that will attract additional attention to me by the state

I've had a CPL since they were called Concealed Weapon Pemits and consisted of a typed statement on an 8-1/2 X 11 sheet of paper that gave you permission to carry and was signed by the Sheriff. Got my first in 1967 when I came home from overseas. Have had one continuously since then and have received absolutely NO additional attention from the State, State Troopers, Sheriff's Deputies, or City Cops.

Whenever I got stopped I showed them the permit and told them I was armed. Never got pulled out of my vehicle, had my weapon seized, or handcuffed.

When I showed my "Permit" every single "officer" handed it back and told me to "just leave the firearm where it was".

Of course I didn't start out by shouting at the officer "why the %^#% are you stopping me and why aren't you out chasing real criminals". Extra attention usually is the result of having a pissy attitude from the get go.

Almost all of my traffic stops were due to my exceeding the 55 mph speed limit and overall I would say that the ration of warnings to tickets was around 8 to 1. Polite pays more often than not and also avoids "additional attention".

Get a CPL and avoid the hassles. Makes a pistol purchase a "stop and go" experience. I take longer deciding what to buy than the amount of time for "processing". BTW, I avoid Walmart like the plague for firearm purchases and have only purchased ONE firearm from Cabela's. I'll pay more before I go back there and waste half a day standing around while 7 different people "stroke" the 4473 process.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

victoriassecret wrote:
Quote:
Make life super easy, get your conceal carry permit. Washington State is a shall issue state, just get it. Makes you "LEGAL". If you want to play arm chair lawyer with the law with the attitude of; "My understanding is no CPL is needed if it doesn't have a loaded magazine inserted".... you are going to get jammed up. Voice of experience is, I have been stopped in Wa state and other states with a loaded gun in the car. Pulled out my CPL, no problem what so ever. If you think the side of the road explaining the details of loaded, unloaded, open carry, concealed carry in accordance with RCW Blah Bla Blah to a LEO, go ahead. You might get the silver bracelets. Think about it.

I'm not playing armchair lawyer, it is abundantly clear by the very plainly and simply written pertinent RCW that it is not necessary for my case. Not to mention, I've been on plenty of ridealongs. The cop will take the 30 seconds to look up the RCW for car carry on their MCTs. No biggie.

I also don't want to blow $55 on a stupid piece of paper that will attract additional attention to me by the state when 1) I can OC for free 2) I'm probably going to be living in a constitutional carry state (ID) soon anyways 3) I can CC without one under lots of circumstances.

Yeah this wait is annoying, but not $55 annoying

Your info is sent to the local cleo and then the dol gets a copy
. Your on a list anyway,get your cpl!.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:55 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Better make sure that delay doesn't come back as a deny. Then the $55 for a CPL really would be a waste of money, huh?

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:12 pm

I meant additional attention from cops when I'm pulled over--since the CPL is tied to the DL.

I don't care about future waiting times either because this is the only non-C&R handgun I plan on buying.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:42 pm

golddigger14s wrote:
CPL lets you carry loaded in the car.
CPL lets you not worry about how you dress. It's cold, I throw on a jacket=OK I go in a store it's warm, I take off my jacket=OK.
CPL lets me take my pistol home the same day, and not have to start a thread on "where's my gun?".

I don't like it that we have to have a CPL, but when I look at other states I realise we have it pretty good here.
ATF says that if you have a current CPL for your state, you don't have to fill out a 4473 (WA state says otherwise).

Thigh drop holster, coats with slits on the side, I got it down fam

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:45 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

victoriassecret wrote:
I meant additional attention from cops when I'm pulled over--since the CPL is tied to the DL.

Have had a CWP/CPL in WA since the early 80's.
Never been asked if I had a gun when pulled over.

Except by a game warden doing a random roadside check.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:03 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

victoriassecret wrote:
Thigh drop holster, coats with slits on the side, I got it down fam

This explains everything.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm surprised how hard you guys tow the CPL line. Even if I had one, that's not necessarily guarantee of no wait. And like I said, I won't be a WA resident very much longer so it's a waste of money in my case.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:36 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

victoriassecret wrote:
I'm surprised how hard you guys tow the CPL line. Even if I had one, that's not necessarily guarantee of no wait. And like I said, I won't be a WA resident very much longer so it's a waste of money in my case.

FYI powderman is a police officer. That guy that told you "it helps us know who the good guys are" he's a cop.

Tow the line huh? Your split side jacket drapes over your tactical drop leg thigh rig when you sit down. Bam! Unlawfully concealing a deadly weapon. You're a felon.

Maybe we're just trying to help you. Fam.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:43 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Easy people’s. She’s made it abundantly clear that she does NOT want a CPL. It seems as she is rather educated on the matter too.

Are you guys hoping this will be the argument on the internet that can be won? Have you ever won an argument on the net? Have you ever won an argument with a woman? Combine those two and you think you have a chance in hell?!

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next