Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:16 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Buying a pistol without a CPL 

Maybe you guys can help me out with this one...

On Dec 1st, I went to sportsman's warehouse to buy a VP9. I don't have a CPL, so I had to deal with the wait for the DOL to do the background check. It's the 12th now, and no word from the store. I went back in to ask them if it was typical, and the guy was really short with me and said it can "take up to 3 weeks at which point the paperwork has to be refiled". He also didn't seem to understand the difference between the NICS & DOL BCGs.

However, according to RCW 9.41.092, it seems theoretically impossible for it to take 3 weeks because by that time it will be approved, or auto-approved after 10 days. http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.092

Anybody know what gives?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:56 pm

Oh, I should also note a few days after filling out the DOL stuff, I bought an AR lower no sweat, so I don't think it's a NICS problem.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My understanding is the wait is 10 Business days, and i'm not sure Sportsmans warehouse has an "Auto release" Policy. Some of the Chain stores have a Policy not to release without a "Proceed" on a BGC.
Having never bought a Pistol from a shop prior to having a CPL, i have no personal experience with the 10 day wait for the DOL check.
Hope it works out for you.
What are you going to build off the Lower?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 am

usrifle wrote:
My understanding is the wait is 10 Business days, and i'm not sure Sportsmans warehouse has an "Auto release" Policy. Some of the Chain stores have a Policy not to release without a "Proceed" on a BGC.
Having never bought a Pistol from a shop prior to having a CPL, i have no personal experience with the 10 day wait for the DOL check.

That's a good point, I didn't even think about the possibility of them having a corporate policy on it.

Funny you ask about the lower, the customers on either side of me were asking too. I think I will be doing a 10mm pistol build for a truck gun.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

victoriassecret wrote:
usrifle wrote:

That's a good point, I didn't even think about the possibility of them having a corporate policy on it.

Funny you ask about the lower, the customers on either side of me were asking too. I think I will be doing a 10mm pistol build for a truck gun.

You have really only been waiting 8 Business days, the first one doesn't count. You may have nothing to worry about, just be patient a couple more days.

A 10mm Truck Pistol? Get that CPL and that's a nice choice. :thumbsup2: I have an AR-9, but have never "Carried" it. :bigsmile:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:53 am

usrifle wrote:
victoriassecret wrote:
usrifle wrote:

You have really only been waiting 8 Business days, the first one doesn't count. You may have nothing to worry about, just be patient a couple more days.

A 10mm Truck Pistol? Get that CPL and that's a nice choice. :thumbsup2: I have an AR-9, but have never "Carried" it. :bigsmile:

My understanding is no CPL is needed if it doesn't have a loaded magazine inserted. Anyways, if I still have no reply after 10 days, do I call the store (who I predict will be unhelpful) or the DOL?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

victoriassecret wrote:
usrifle wrote:
victoriassecret wrote:
usrifle wrote:

My understanding is no CPL is needed if it doesn't have a loaded magazine inserted.

If you have a Pistol in your truck, and a Loaded Magazine in your Truck Without a CPL you will be in a bind my friend.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:17 am

usrifle wrote:
If you have a Pistol in your truck, and a Loaded Magazine in your Truck Without a CPL you will be in a bind my friend.

This seemed to suggest not, but who knows :reaction:

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:22 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I wouldn't worry about the legality of carrying an unloaded pistol along with a mag.
I'd be more worried about why your truck is being searched in the first place.

(16) "Loaded" means:
(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the firearm;
(b) Cartridges are in a clip that is locked in place in the firearm;
(c) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the firearm, if the firearm is a revolver;
(d) There is a cartridge in the tube or magazine that is inserted in the action; or
(e) There is a ball in the barrel and the firearm is capped or primed if the firearm is a muzzle loader.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

victoriassecret wrote:
usrifle wrote:
victoriassecret wrote:
usrifle wrote:

My understanding is no CPL is needed if it doesn't have a loaded magazine inserted. Anyways, if I still have no reply after 10 days, do I call the store (who I predict will be unhelpful) or the DOL?

:timeout: A word to the wise is sufficient. Let this be a learning process if you intend to buy anymore firearms(handguns) or having any intention on 'carrying' or conceal carry' or have a 'handgun in the car or truck'
Make life super easy, get your conceal carry permit. Washington State is a shall issue state, just get it. Makes you "LEGAL". If you want to play arm chair lawyer with the law with the attitude of; "My understanding is no CPL is needed if it doesn't have a loaded magazine inserted".... you are going to get jammed up. Voice of experience is, I have been stopped in Wa state and other states with a loaded gun in the car. Pulled out my CPL, no problem what so ever. If you think the side of the road explaining the details of loaded, unloaded, open carry, concealed carry in accordance with RCW Blah Bla Blah to a LEO, go ahead. You might get the silver bracelets. Think about it.

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:27 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Marco is right, just get your CPL. It makes life easier. If nothing else, next time you buy a handgun you won't need to go through all of the bullshit that you're facing now. And you WILL buy another handgun. :bigsmile:

And yes, you can carry an unloaded handgun (no round in the chamber, no loaded mag inserted) in a vehicle without a CPL.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your BGC is good for 30 days.
HG unloaded, and mag loaded but not in gun ANYWHERE in car no CPL =OK.
If it was a NICS delay (which isn't your case), you can pick your gun up after 10 business days. (Some places like Walmart won't release with out a proceed no matter what). Yours is a POC Delay, and at the whim of the people doing the local check. I'm assuming you are in Pierce county, South Sound 911 is a bit on the slow side. No set number of days for a POC sale.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 pm

1. Most places don't do the "auto release," thing. And even those that do will often make it 14 days to be safe. Same with delays. Prior to I594 is said 5 business days in which "states offices are open." After 594 is just says 10 business days, but not who's business days. The store's? The states? The city or county the store is in? The city or county the customer is in? It doesn't say.

2. Right now most of the wait is at the state level. The cities/counties are waiting for DSHS to complete the mental health checks. Every handgun sales has to go through them.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:58 pm

I'm not in Pierce county, I'm in Kitsap. This wait just seems unusual to me. I heard that sportsman's has a policy they will hold until results even though they can release after 10 days per RCW. I wonder if the holidays has bogged it down or something.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:10 pm

Quote:
Make life super easy, get your conceal carry permit. Washington State is a shall issue state, just get it. Makes you "LEGAL". If you want to play arm chair lawyer with the law with the attitude of; "My understanding is no CPL is needed if it doesn't have a loaded magazine inserted".... you are going to get jammed up. Voice of experience is, I have been stopped in Wa state and other states with a loaded gun in the car. Pulled out my CPL, no problem what so ever. If you think the side of the road explaining the details of loaded, unloaded, open carry, concealed carry in accordance with RCW Blah Bla Blah to a LEO, go ahead. You might get the silver bracelets. Think about it.

I'm not playing armchair lawyer, it is abundantly clear by the very plainly and simply written pertinent RCW that it is not necessary for my case. Not to mention, I've been on plenty of ridealongs. The cop will take the 30 seconds to look up the RCW for car carry on their MCTs. No biggie.

I also don't want to blow $55 on a stupid piece of paper that will attract additional attention to me by the state when 1) I can OC for free 2) I'm probably going to be living in a constitutional carry state (ID) soon anyways 3) I can CC without one under lots of circumstances.

Yeah this wait is annoying, but not $55 annoying

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next