In stripper clips 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
In factory box(es) 19%  19%  [ 19 ]
Other 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 101

How do you store your ammo? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends on the ammo and firearm.

For my .223/5.56, the AR ammo is loaded on strippers, inserted in the cardboard anti-rattle sleeves, and then carefully inserted in bandoleers which are folded and stored in 50 cal cans with a desiccant pack.

For my .223 bolt action, 20 round field ammo pouches (the elastic band type).

For my Chassis rifles, a couple of loaded magazines that go everywhere with the rifle and for range ammo I just use plastic ammo boxes that hold 50-100 rounds at a time.

For pistols, i load enough magazines for immediate use and the rest is bulk stored in 50 cal cans, again with a desiccant pack.

Factory ammo? It's been years since I've purchased any "assembled" ammo. I buy new components and assemble it myself when I want "New" ammo.

Each of my vehicles has "enough" ammo stored in it for any time I might need it. The rest is stored on nice shelves that are readily accessible. What good is it if you can't get your hands on it NOW?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tagging to add my take

Sent from my Y538 using Tapatalk

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Want High end Russian military gear? PM me!

Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mostly ammo cans in the factory boxes. Cans are labeled 1-20, and a spread sheet that has what is in each can.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shotgun ammo = in factory boxes and on 25-rd belts, in 60mm ammo cans

AR ammo = on stripper clips in cardboard sleeves, in "Fat 50" ammo cans

All other rifle and pistol ammo = in original factory packaging, in either .30-cal or .50-cal ammo cans (depending upon how much there is)

I do have a few loaded mags (both pistol and AR) ready for immediate use.

Everything but the shotgun ammo is stored in a safe. All ammo cans have magnetic green labels.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scattered about.

Actually I don't store any ammo. I'm waiting until they outlaw online ammo ordering. :pray:

It's full.

Also have some ammo cans stacked about.

A decent amount in my safe as well.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some may claim OCD, but I say that I just run my armory like an armory.

Mostly factory boxes in these boxes, each cartridge hand inspected and if a strange looking example is found a note is written on an index card and tucked inside with position of suspect cartridge marked.

This is the backup stash, M19 cans with post-it notes marking cartridges inside. Inside the lids are lined with painter`s plastic. desiccant packs are strewn throughout the cans and an index card with cartridge count sits atop it all.

In my emergency kit are found two charged AR mags (one loaded with M855, the other M193) and 50 rounds 9x19 147 grain FMJ. If I`m going out longer than I expect those plus another rifle mag to hold out I bring a gas mask case loaded with 7 more charged AR mags, M855 all.

The M2A1 cans stacked underneath my desk don`t all hold ammunition, some hold gun parts, accessories or assorted clutter like cloth scraps, a nautical compass, strips of velcro or several packs of Ticonderoga #2 pencils.

The Yugoslav M67 ammunition crate I use as a backdrop in most sales pics holds mostly ammunition as well as some odd-shaped tools.

The same is said for the USGI M2 Ball munitions crate underneath the DVDs.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have heard bad things about storing ammo in a safe due to pressure issues during a fire. Anyone else have this concern?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

mcyclonegt wrote:
I have heard bad things about storing ammo in a safe due to pressure issues during a fire. Anyone else have this concern?

It's the best way to destroy all the evidence.

Seriously though, I'd be more concerned about powder. Ammo doesn't worry me much.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:

I`ve not, however that sounds like the same sort of thing you can expect from someone who thinks keeping a mag loaded will wear out the spring.

It`s a spring, it`s designed to compress. Same as its being a safe - it`s designed to protect. Worst case scenario, call the manufacturer and get some specs.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:

If your house is burning down, your ammo is a pretty small concern. :facepalm2:

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fjordforder wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

I`ve not, however that sounds like the same sort of thing you can expect from someone who thinks keeping a mag loaded will wear out the spring.

It`s a spring, it`s designed to compress. Same as its being a safe - it`s designed to protect. Worst case scenario, call the manufacturer and get some specs.

Every 6 months I unload my mags, wait a day, and reload them, do I not have to do that?!? I fill up all my self defense mags for various weapons, store the rest in 30 and 50 cal containers, and some ammo in “tactical” zip lock bags for range trips. This would save me a lot of thought and effort to not do this for my mags, the internet seems divided. But I’m sure somebody who is as careful as some of the folks on this thread would know better :)

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tim04 wrote:
Fjordforder wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

Every 6 months I unload my mags, wait a day, and reload them, do I not have to do that?!? I fill up all my self defense mags for various weapons, store the rest in 30 and 50 cal containers, and some ammo in “tactical” zip lock bags for range trips. This would save me a lot of thought and effort to not do this for my mags, the internet seems divided. But I’m sure somebody who is as careful as some of the folks on this thread would know better :)

Just the way I see it. Besides, it`s a magazine - designed to be expendable. I`d imagine that it`s constant loading and unloading that would wear out a spring, and even then, only biannually? I`d not worry about it in the slightest.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any modern spring will wear out from cycles of loading/unloading. Not static compression

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ammo in a fire, in a safe is not dangerous. Fire is dangerous as noted above. Having a round in the chamber in a very hot fire could get interesting. But that temperature. Inside a safe?

As for mag springs. Here we go. Well good. Rix nailed it.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:25 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Pretty interesting (and very expensive) test of ammo in a fire.

The test is geared towards firefighters concerns about entering a burning house with ammo inside, not the effects on ammo inside a safe.
My thought is that ammo in a safe is safer than ammo outside a safe. If enough ammo went off inside the safe at one time to bulge the door, pressure is released relatively slowly compared to a bomb.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next