Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:56 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Scope lapping for precision - Anyone do it? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find myself venturing into precision (factory) rifles... I'm a virgin on scope ring lapping, but my first 34mm tubed optic might change that.

1. Is it needed?
2. Anyone own a 34mm lapping bar? Can I rent it for 10-mins? They're tough to find on the web, and the few that are there aren't cheap!

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:00 pm

If you can get the tool go for it or find a gunsmith to do it. It added insurance and could help you.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:48 pm
FFL / Dealer

Take a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3442

I don't lap very many scopes anymore. I don't have a 34MM bar either.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tpryder wrote:
I don't lap very many scopes anymore.

Thanks Tom, can you elaborate? Have rings gotten better or is it past a certain point of diminishing returns?

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:38 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

tpryder wrote:
Take a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3442

That was a great thread... Thank you Tom!

How does lapping increase the life of the optic? Threads like that remind me of how ignorant I am. Love it.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:12 pm

I either lap or bed the rings for any scope I care about. You could probably bed the rings if you can't find a 34mm bar. I only have 1" and 30mm.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 pm
FFL / Dealer

Blaze.45 wrote:
tpryder wrote:
I don't lap very many scopes anymore.

Thanks Tom, can you elaborate? Have rings gotten better or is it past a certain point of diminishing returns?

I don't really have any data to back this up. I think some scope rings are better than others for sure, but I think the main reason why is just cost. Most gun guys are do-it-yourself types and they don't want to pay to have it done, or they feel there is no value in it. Even on my custom builds it rarely comes up during the discussion of the build.

I will admit that its hard to spend $150 on something that I may only use once. http://www.kokopelliproducts.com/acckit.htm

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:21 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

FYI

if you guys want a 1" perfect bar for doing scope ring alignment the HD Muncie transmission of the 60's had a 1" countershaft pin that works perfect and can be had off e-bay for not much $$

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always do it, but just because lapped rings don't bite scopes. I hate ring marks on a scope.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
tpryder wrote:
Take a look at this: http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3442

How does lapping increase the life of the optic? Threads like that remind me of how ignorant I am. Love it.

If I understand correctly, it stops warpage of the scope body when tightened. That Warpage is what makes the erectors (?) The parts that adjust the scope p.o.i. wear prematurely during adjustments.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing worse than erectors wearing prematurely :hook1:

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:22 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Rix86 wrote:
PMB wrote:
tpryder wrote:
Take a look at this: http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3442

If I understand correctly, it stops warpage of the scope body when tightened. That Warpage is what makes the erectors (?) The parts that adjust the scope p.o.i. wear prematurely during adjustments.

Thank you Rix. I might have to take one apart to grok it.

Blaze.45 wrote:
Nothing worse than erectors wearing prematurely :hook1:

That's the only thing that I have left that hasn't shown wear and tear!

Of course, round count is really low. More of a safe queen.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are you charging for lapping and mounting scopes, TP?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are patient and start with a good set of premium rings like Seekins/Vortex, Spuhr, etc, there is a way to mount your scope that is better than any "Lap Job".

Lapping only straightens out inferior rings or corrects for errors in the mount (two piece or rail).

If you are patient try this:

Install your rings on your rail and torque to spec's for both caps and cross bolt/screws. Make sure you leave one mounting screw hole for front and rear pairs exposed. At this point the position of the rings on the scope is not important.

Bed your rail to the action and use one screw on front and one on rear to hold everything in place. Make sure to fill the unused holes in the rail and action with plumber's putty or wax so they don't get filled with the bedding compound. Do not tighten the screws to any amount of torque than what's necessary to squeeze excess bedding compound out from between rail and action. To be sure, when the compound stops oozing, back off screws and then re snug to what would be considered finger tight.

Let setup cure for 24 hours.

Remove from action and clean up excess epoxy. If you used a good coat of Kiwi Shoe polish on the action it should just pop right off with the epoxy still attached to the rail. Remove scope and rings from the rail, clean out holes you plugged, and reattach rail to action, torquing screws to proper amount. Reposition scope rings and mount on rail, torque, then finalize scope position/level and torque caps.

You have just used the scope to force the rail into a perfectly straight alignment and by bedding you really don't care if the action is straight or not.

Lapping just grinds off metal to make the pieces that are "WRONG" fit. Problem is, you can only use the setup on THAT rifle and if you change you have to lap again (if you have a bar).

For two piece mounts just cut the heads off some mounting screws, screw them into the action but leave plenty sticking out to locate each mount. Fill the threads with wax as well as the holes in the mounts themselves.

Mount rings on mounts to match the mounting screws and torque as above. Apply bedding compound under the individual mounts and then wrap the scope and action with a piece of physical therapy resistance band (wide stretchy rubber band) or surgical tubing. Make sure scope mounts are flat on action and adjust bands for equal tension on each side.

When cured, remove from action, remove mounts from rings, clean out holes, remove screw stubs, and reassemble, torquing bases to spec.

Remember, this requires patience but the bright side is that you don't need to buy a lapping bar, have messy lapping compound to clean off everything, and won't get unsightly marks on your scope from not getting the last little bit of lapping compound out of the aluminum most rings are made of.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 pm
FFL / Dealer

jukk0u wrote:
What are you charging for lapping and mounting scopes, TP?

I charge $40 to mount a scope, which includes bore sighting. Scope lapping does depends on how long it takes, but it would be another $40. If it takes hours that will affect the price, however I typically lap the rings until about 70% clean-up.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next